Quandry (For Sale?) '66 Coupe

Old April 11th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff Mayner

Default Quandry (For Sale?) '66 Coupe

I'm settling my grandmother's estate. My Grandfather's '66 Coupe has to go.
It's been sitting since '96 or so. 36k miles but they both drove it into
their 80's so it has some bumps and bruises.

I have gotten it started and semi-cleaned up just to see what's there. It's
remarkably stock. Pop bought it new in late '65, when he was 64. ;-)

Has 10 year old gas and other fluids in it. I topped up the radiator and ran
it for about 20 minutes. Other than a poor idle, it ran pretty good.

Anyway, it's a 289 4bbl with automatic and factory air.

I had thought about keeping it for my daughter's first car but the wife and
I think something newer and safer would be a better choice.

Anyone have any idea about value?

Old April 11th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Paul[_14_]

"Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
> I'm settling my grandmother's estate. My Grandfather's '66 Coupe has to
> go. It's been sitting since '96 or so. 36k miles but they both drove it
> into their 80's so it has some bumps and bruises.
>
> I have gotten it started and semi-cleaned up just to see what's there.
> It's remarkably stock. Pop bought it new in late '65, when he was 64. ;-)
>
> Has 10 year old gas and other fluids in it. I topped up the radiator and
> ran it for about 20 minutes. Other than a poor idle, it ran pretty good.
>
> Anyway, it's a 289 4bbl with automatic and factory air.
>
> I had thought about keeping it for my daughter's first car but the wife
> and I think something newer and safer would be a better choice.
>
> Anyone have any idea about value?

You could sell it to me -- I think I might have a couple thousand I could
free up.

Gotta love a guy who buys a Mustang when he's 64. My dad bought his '66 when
he was about 40, and people thought that was a little edgy...

Old April 11th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott

I'll give ya 500 bucks right now
Figured I'd get that out there before someone else did.

-Scott

Old April 11th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

value all depends on overall condition. I would guess somewhere near 5,000
maybe more maybe a bit less. Most likely it will need major work to get it
road worthy.

Old April 12th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

"Les Benn" > wrote in message
> value all depends on overall condition. I would guess somewhere near 5,000
> maybe more maybe a bit less. Most likely it will need major work to get it
> road worthy.
>
> "Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
> > I'm settling my grandmother's estate. My Grandfather's '66 Coupe has to
> > go. It's been sitting since '96 or so. 36k miles but they both drove it
> > into their 80's so it has some bumps and bruises.
> >
> > I have gotten it started and semi-cleaned up just to see what's there.
> > It's remarkably stock. Pop bought it new in late '65, when he was 64.

;-)

> > Has 10 year old gas and other fluids in it. I topped up the radiator and
> > ran it for about 20 minutes. Other than a poor idle, it ran pretty good.
> >
> > Anyway, it's a 289 4bbl with automatic and factory air.
> >
> > I had thought about keeping it for my daughter's first car but the wife
> > and I think something newer and safer would be a better choice.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea about value?

My friend sold a 66 six automatic for one of his tenants. Very complete,
right down to the jack and hub caps. Was white with decent original paint.
Belonged to a 74 year old woman who drove it every day. Interior was
completely shot but all there, original radio and all. Brought $3,000 and he
didn't get many calls on it. BTW: It had non-working AC. Rebuilt trans and
complete new front end.

Al

Old April 12th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff Mayner

"Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
> I'm settling my grandmother's estate. My Grandfather's '66 Coupe has to
> go. It's been sitting since '96 or so. 36k miles but they both drove it
> into their 80's so it has some bumps and bruises.

Well, I meant to include a link to some pics I took. The first group is
before I washed off the 10 years of dust. It's been in the garage the entire
time. The second group is when I backed it out of the garage into the
sunlight. As can be seen, there are some nicks in the driver seat upholstery
but that's about it. Everything works.

New fluids, boil out the carb, a brake job, tune-up, and maybe a seal here
or there and the thing should be road worthy. I'd put new tires on it though
the one's on it were new 10 years ago but have been flat for a long time.
They hold air now but who in their right mind would trust them?

I'm torn as to how much I should do. I know folks like to get older cars in
original condition, etc. The paint is still shiny under all the dust. The
glass is good too.

I just might have a nice Mustang here, and no, sorry, but 500 is too low.
;-)

Here's the link to the pics:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...icles/Mustang/

Old April 12th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff Mayner

"Paul" > wrote in message
t...

> "Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
>> I'm settling my grandmother's estate. My Grandfather's '66 Coupe has to
>> go. It's been sitting since '96 or so. 36k miles but they both drove it
>> into their 80's so it has some bumps and bruises.
>>
>> I have gotten it started and semi-cleaned up just to see what's there.
>> It's remarkably stock. Pop bought it new in late '65, when he was 64.
>> ;-)
>>
>> Has 10 year old gas and other fluids in it. I topped up the radiator and
>> ran it for about 20 minutes. Other than a poor idle, it ran pretty good.
>>
>> Anyway, it's a 289 4bbl with automatic and factory air.
>>
>> I had thought about keeping it for my daughter's first car but the wife
>> and I think something newer and safer would be a better choice.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea about value?

> You could sell it to me -- I think I might have a couple thousand I could
> free up.

I really haven't done much research on the car. I'm thinking anywhere from 5
to 10k. I just do not know. I bought my first Mustang, also a '66, back in
'75. Paid 500 bucks for it. Sold it a year later to a friend for 500 and a
'66 BSA 650 Rocket. The BSA still lives. The Mustang ended up in a ditch,
upside down, somewhere in Oregon. ;-)

> Gotta love a guy who buys a Mustang when he's 64. My dad bought his '66
> when he was about 40, and people thought that was a little edgy...

My Grandfather was a pistol. He had a '71 Torino that my Grandmother drove.
Had a 351 in it and would chirp 2nd gear. ;-)

Old April 12th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff Mayner

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I'll give ya 500 bucks right now
> Figured I'd get that out there before someone else did.

Thanks. I feel much better now. ;-)

Old April 12th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

"Jeff Mayner" > wrote in news:evjdmb$rf7$1
@news.datemas.de:

> Anyone have any idea about value?

These cars are not that rare. I see them daily. Just yesterday, I saw an
elderly lady driving a nice white '65 or '66. It's worth what somebody will
pay you for it. If you are in a rust belt, and the car is relatively rust
free, it will bring more.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old April 13th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

well to be honest the less you do the more likely someone will buy it for
what you want. I know that if I were to buy a car like that I would plan on
new gasket set, new tires, new rubber seals for the doors and hood and
trunk. I complete tune up, pull the wheels and repack the bearings, probably
needs rear end drained and filled, transmission drained and refilled, check
all the ball joints, drain and clean the fuel tank, fuel filter, new shocks,
brake hoses, back flush the heater core, replace vacuum and coolant hoses.
Then start checking all the other stuff for worn or rotted parts.

Any car sitting for 10 years is probably not going to last long before
something breaks so I would do all the maintenance it will most likely need.
Around here in Arizona cars like you have are plentiful.