98 GT evap system leak

Old April 11th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dave J

Default 98 GT evap system leak

Okay, I am 100% sure this part is not located (on my car) where the
diagrams show!

The solenoid, as you point out, is quite obvious, and it's just not
there. What is there is the evap line, which consists of two pieces of
hose with a plastic joint/fitting connecting them suspiciously close
to the place where the purge valve would "normally" go. One end of the
tube goes into a connection on the rear of the intake manifold, the
other disappears into the sidewall where I assume it snakes into a
space where the evap canister is located.

Lots of work to get at it, and I don't even *really* believe it's the
problem!

I may just go to the Ford dealership where I know I will get reamed,
but at least there will be some guarantee of getting the issue
resolved. :/

Old April 11th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, Dave J wrote:

>> You must be digging at something entirely different.

> I'll look again. The part I found online was different than this. It
> looked like this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2ms7n2
>
> But in any case, I just cannot find that under my hood. I have a
> strong feeling that something changed in the model years 97-98,
> because my Chilton manual also shows the valve where you say it is.
> But in my car, I can't find it.
>
> Maybe I should look more closely.
>
> Thank you for all your help so far, by the way!

I just went to the source, motorcraft.com. The evap purge valve listed
for a 1998 mustang 4.6L SOHC is the same type as on my '97.

This is what I got:
http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.j...RHVhoFb1UIUnkf

For whatever reason that's how motorcraft.com has the details linked
from.

The part is only a couple-three inches long maybe 3/4 inch in diameter.
On my car there is a plastic fastener taped to one of the hoses and that
holds it to the inner fender between the strut tower and the firewall on
the passenger side. Oh... there's also a black vinyl/rubber sleeve over
it so it doesn't look shiny like in the pic when in the car. Maybe that
threw off your search?

Old April 11th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dave J

I really appreciate all the help you've been giving.

My car has California emissions, and so the part is a bit different.

The Motorcraft part number is F8ZE-9C915CA, rather than E4ZF-9C915AA,
the part you just showed me. I haven't the slightest idea what the
difference is, but they do look different. (though the air and
electrical connectors are the same, they do appear to have different
mounting)

I've been looking for either the California or "everywhere else"
version, and neither are under the hood of my car. Perhaps that's
why the location is different in my car, and also why the Chiltons
does not have a matching photo or diagram.

-- dave j

Old April 11th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, Dave J wrote:

> I really appreciate all the help you've been giving.
>
> My car has California emissions, and so the part is a bit different.

Ahh... The motorcraft catalog did ask that question.

> The Motorcraft part number is F8ZE-9C915CA, rather than E4ZF-9C915AA,
> the part you just showed me. I haven't the slightest idea what the
> difference is, but they do look different. (though the air and
> electrical connectors are the same, they do appear to have different
> mounting)

I still think you would get the evap code though. I am guessing either a
seal on your tank isn't seated right or the evap line wasn't plugged back in
so it sealed correctly. Maybe not at all.

Old April 11th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dave J

> I still think you would get the evap code though. I am guessing either a
> seal on your tank isn't seated right or the evap line wasn't plugged back in
> so it sealed correctly. Maybe not at all.

Check out this link:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...d_00_01b_2.pdf

It looks like the entire CA system is quite a bit different. Lots of
extra components.

You are right. There's no reason to suspect the valve. The DTC says
where is trouble pulling a vacuum. It could be a leak anywhere.

I need to just make it clear to the shop that they should take care of
it, I don't believe the "coincidence" story. I hate to do it, but I
may have to mention the BBB and/or small claims court.

-- dave j

Evap. Control Canister Leak? jcooney Honda 1 December 20th 06 01:43 AM
EVAP control system leak [email protected] Technology 6 July 11th 06 04:13 AM
Large Evap Leak Raybender BMW 6 April 20th 06 12:32 AM
EVAP PURGE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE [email protected] Dodge 2 December 3rd 05 06:38 PM
Evap leak Lenny via CarKB.com Ford Explorer 2 April 6th 05 05:10 AM