Vista license agreement is a joke

Old October 14th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes[_1_]

Default Vista license agreement is a joke

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Scott B. Husted" > wrote in message
>> Garrot wrote:

>>> Well, that is even more crap from Microsoft. They are saying even retail
>>> XP
>>> is tied to a single device. Why the **** would we buy retail copies of
>>> XP
>>> if it is tied to a single device just like OEM? They are just
>>> backtracking
>>> and trying to confuse the issue.

>> I just replaced a Hard Drive (not my primary, a second drive) and added a
>> gigabit NIC card and I had to re-activate Windows. Had no problem doing
>> so, but I did have to do it. It's the first time I've had to do it, but
>> I guess I'm one of the stupid people who actually owns and paid for 3
>> Retail copies of Win XP Pro.
>>
>> --
>> Scott B. Husted
>> http://www.Husted.cc

> I ONLY added a NIC card recently and had to re-activate. As you say, it
> was simple but also VERY petty on MS's part I thought.

Hate it when you think of "that other thing" just after you hit "send"!

How's this for petty - I updated the firmware of my DVD drive and had to
re-activate just a few weeks ago!

It will be interesting to see how far MS push the envelope. Are the poor
****ers starving over there are they?

Old October 14th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

jason moyer wrote:
> Mitch_A wrote:
>
>> I'ts nice when someone finally cuts right through the "net" bull****.

> I don't see what's been clarified in that article. The entire point
> seems to be that the author doesn't give a **** about the small segment
> of the market that is effected in a bad way by the Windows EULA or
> product activation. It's less "this isn't true" and more "this doesn't
> effect me so why do I care".

I don't think this article is relevant to most of us, but as you say to
the majority of Windows users who wouldn't know a graphics card from a
processor let alone open the machine up.

The article is correct for most users and any general hysteria about
Vista licensing is unfounded, although for those with the nouse to
update their hardware on a regular basis it may be a different story...
Old October 14th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mls067

Garrot wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:05:56 -0500, mls067 wrote:
>

>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp

> Oh yea, thanks for that url. Lots of people are going to find this
> "interesting" too.

NP, I think only time will tell. From what I got out of the article, the
EULA only clarifies but doesn't change what we can do, and I emphasise
"can do". According to this article we are under the same rules with
XP, but I am using the same copy of XP on my 3rd build. It only exists
on one computer at this moment but I have installed it on each major
upgrade (motherboard, cpu, hard drive) without a problem. Yes I had to
activate but I was never prevented from installing it (I'm not saying
that XP has the ability to prevent someone from installing it multiple
times as some are saying Vista will do)). Now here is something funny. I
installed alcohol 120% and had to call Microsoft and do some 'splainin.
The woman on the other end said she has never heard of that program
triggering a re-activation.

Mike
Old October 14th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bill Worrel

That's true that XP keeps track of changes but after 120 days of no changes,
you start fresh with a new baseline based on the current hardware. Also if
you change an item in the same category e.g. video card, you can change it
as many times as you want and you won't be any more likely to have to
activate.

The likely reason that Byron and Scott had to re-activate when they changed
their NIC is that the NIC counts for three "votes".

See WPA info he
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

It'll be interesting if Vista will work the same way.

The article "debunking" licensing changes mentions that only 5% of PC owners
upgrade their own computers. That may be true but how many upgrade their
friends and relatives computers? I know that I've upgraded quite a few over
the years. Also, how many people take their machines in to a computer store
and have it upgraded.

Bill

ddress_disguised...

Old October 14th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch.A

As the article says it's no different than XP. We (hobbyists) can still
call support and transfer the license. MS simply clarified the EULA with
Vista (and added virtualization). Personally I trust the author
P.Thurott(sp?) much more than a ignorant bull**** spreading punk like the
OP.

Quote:
"The Windows XP EULA appears to implicitly allow infinite transfers because
it doesn't explicitly explain how many times one might transfer a single
copy of XP. As it turns out, infinite transfers wasn't the intention. "This
clause was always aimed at very specific circumstances," Microsoft general
manager Shanen Boettcher told me. "Someone has a hardware failure, but still
wants to run that copy of Windows on the new machine, for example."

The problem, of course, was that some people felt they could install a
single copy of Windows as many times as they wanted. "It's always been per
copy, per device," Boettcher said. And if you do actually have a
catastrophic PC failure, you'll be able to transfer your license just as
before. The process, as it turns out, hasn't changed at all. "The escalation
process is exactly the same in Vista," Boettcher told me. "You have to call
support. It just wasn't clear in Windows XP. But we wanted to do the right
thing by the customer. So we let them move a license, while being clear
about what the license is intended for. In the past haven't been super clear
up front."

When Windows examines changes to the system, the two most heavily weighed
components are the PC's motherboard and hard drive, in that order. If you
change both of these components at one time, Windows will almost certainly
assume it's running in a new computer and cause you to reactivate. "It's
that old question, 'When does a boat become a new boat?," Boettcher asked,
rhetorically. "When every plank has been replaced, is it a new boat?" In the
case of a Windows XP and Vista-based PC, there is an algorithm that examines
hardware changes and, based on an internal score, determines whether a
reactivation is required."

Pretty clear to me but then again it's not 4:20 here in Cali yet...

Mitch

.uk...

Old October 14th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Garrot

On 14 Oct 2006 11:09:09 -0700, jason moyer wrote:

> I don't see what's been clarified in that article. The entire point
> seems to be that the author doesn't give a **** about the small segment
> of the market that is effected in a bad way by the Windows EULA or
> product activation. It's less "this isn't true" and more "this doesn't
> effect me so why do I care".

Email him and tell him what you think of his article, I did. The article is
BS anyway. Here is what the XP Retail EULA says. Where does it say XP is
tied to the first PC it is installed to? It clearly doesn't.

4. TRANSFER-Internal. You may move the Product to a different
Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must
completely remove the Product from the former Workstation
Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the
Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to
another end user. The transfer has to include all
component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and
if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The
transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a
consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving
the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms.
No Rental. You may not rent, lease, lend or provide
commercial hosting services to third parties with the
Product.
Old October 14th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Garrot

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:59:25 GMT, Mitch.A wrote:

> As the article says it's no different than XP.

Yes it is.

Old October 14th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Garrot

Thurott is a shill you dumb ****.
Old October 14th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Garrot

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:34:51 -0500, mls067 wrote:

> NP, I think only time will tell. From what I got out of the article, the
> EULA only clarifies but doesn't change what we can do, and I emphasise
> "can do".

But the XP retail EULA is clearly not worded as that article is suggesting.
It is not a clarification IMO because the XP EULA clearly states I can
transfer my copy of XP retail to another PC. It says nothing about how many
times. Vista EULA says I can only do that once. How can they clarify an
EULA that doesn't even suggest say what they are saying?

>According to this article we are under the same rules with
> XP, but I am using the same copy of XP on my 3rd build. It only exists
> on one computer at this moment but I have installed it on each major
> upgrade (motherboard, cpu, hard drive) without a problem. Yes I had to
> activate but I was never prevented from installing it (I'm not saying
> that XP has the ability to prevent someone from installing it multiple
> times as some are saying Vista will do)). Now here is something funny. I
> installed alcohol 120% and had to call Microsoft and do some 'splainin.
> The woman on the other end said she has never heard of that program
> triggering a re-activation.

I had Winamp install trigger activation on me once. It was either Winamp or
that damned Starforce ****e.