My Brush With Death

Old May 15th 06, 04:04 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Default My Brush With Death

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> [Or: "Riceboy Needs a New Set of Tires]

Do please explain about this 'rice' stuff.

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 04:32 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Ricecars: cosmetically altered Jap cars driven by
wannabe street racer Asian American punks

Old May 15th 06, 04:41 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

In article .com>, 223rem wrote:
> Ricecars: cosmetically altered Jap cars driven by
> wannabe street racer Asian American punks

The driver of said car is irrelevant. In fact, most ricers I see are not
asian.

BTW, riceboy cars are often modified mechanically with the goal of going
faster but actually going slower. I still remember the riceboy that
apparently wanted to race me and lost... I was riding my giant road bike
(as in bicycle) that day. The fart-can muffler and that entire side of the car
was covered in soot. I say apparently wanting to race because maybe he
reved the engine in an effort to keep it running.

Old May 15th 06, 04:59 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> Ricecars: cosmetically altered Jap cars driven by
> wannabe street racer Asian American punks

I prefer stealth cars myself. ;-)

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 05:07 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

223rem wrote:

> Ricecars: cosmetically altered Jap cars driven by
> wannabe street racer Asian American punks

We have our own 'boy racer' types who 'tart up ' cars pointlessly too.

The daughter of a guy in another group took this vehicle along to one of their
meets ( in a supermarket car park - they often congregate there ) as a joke.

http://www.stuartggray.dsl.pipex.com...res/modded.jpg

Graham

Old May 15th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Around 5/15/2006 8:32 AM, 223rem wrote:

> Ricecars: cosmetically altered Jap cars driven by
> wannabe street racer Asian American punks

Nothing so limited; Ricers can be any ethnicity and drive any make of
car. <http://www.riceboypage.com/what_is_riceboy>
For example:
<http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_11/saturn.jpg>

It's simply cosmetically altering any car so that it looks and/or sounds
"faster" than it really is in a pathetic plea for attention. To that
end, such alteration tends to be done with a willful lack of regard to
good taste.

See more at <http://www.riceboypage.com> and
<http://www.ricecop.com/gallery.php>.

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
Old May 15th 06, 05:28 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Brent P > writes:

> The driver of said car is irrelevant. In fact, most ricers I see are not
> asian.

Those that I see are. Obviously a regional/demographic thing.

At any rate, the term "riceboy" reflects not only the fact that most
of the cars modified in that distinctive style are Japanese, but the
fact that most of the young guys who originally drove such cas were
Oriental. The style has since taken off, of course (cf. "The Fast &
the Furious), but that was the origin of it.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/por/100173905.html

> BTW, riceboy cars are often modified mechanically with the goal of
> going faster but actually going slower.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/67310530.html

Geoff

--
"After several minutes of utterly dull conversation I began to think
of her not as a woman but as a human, then not as a human but as an
Old May 15th 06, 05:39 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Pooh Bear > writes:

> The daughter of a guy in another group took this vehicle along
> to one of their meets ( in a supermarket car park - they often
> congregate there ) as a joke.

> http://www.stuartggray.dsl.pipex.com...res/modded.jpg

Gack!

What is that thing, underneath all the cardboard? Some sort of
'80s Nissan?

Geoff

Old May 15th 06, 06:10 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

In article >, Geoff Miller wrote:
> Brent P > writes:
>
>> The driver of said car is irrelevant. In fact, most ricers I see are not
>> asian.

> Those that I see are. Obviously a regional/demographic thing.
>
> At any rate, the term "riceboy" reflects not only the fact that most
> of the cars modified in that distinctive style are Japanese, but the
> fact that most of the young guys who originally drove such cas were
> Oriental. The style has since taken off, of course (cf. "The Fast &
> the Furious), but that was the origin of it.

Riceboy predates those movies and refers only to the cars in all common
usage I've seen going back a decade.

> http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/por/100173905.html

Ok, a somewhat amusing story of an encounter with a riceboy, but nothing
regarding the origin of the term.

>> BTW, riceboy cars are often modified mechanically with the goal of
>> going faster but actually end up going slower.

> http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/67310530.html

laff

Old May 15th 06, 06:16 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Geoff Miller wrote:

> Pooh Bear > writes:
>
> > The daughter of a guy in another group took this vehicle along
> > to one of their meets ( in a supermarket car park - they often
> > congregate there ) as a joke.

> > http://www.stuartggray.dsl.pipex.com...res/modded.jpg

> Gack!
>
> What is that thing, underneath all the cardboard? Some sort of
> '80s Nissan?

Well spotted sir. A Sunny in fact.

Graham