GTR and Starforce

Old December 25th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR and Starforce

Hello all,

Received GTR for X-mas, went to install it, read the biz about Starforce
Copy Protection and decided to abort the install.

Is Starforce a bad deal? Research on Google shows good and bad. Some folks
claim it slowed their PC down and screwed with cd-rom burning. While others
say it causes no problems. Please help a brother sim racer out and let me
know if I should install GTR or not. My PC is totally tweaked and running
perfectly at the moment for all of my sim racing pleasure. I certainly don't
want to jack it up from Starforce.

Thanks.

Ducwizard

Old December 25th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I have never had a problem with it.

Andi.

Old December 25th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Andi Cole wrote:
> I have never had a problem with it.

Me neither. I've gone through a few PC upgrades and reinstalls without
any issue. From my own experience I would not hesitate, you will be
missing out on some great sims otherwise.

Cheers
Tony
Old December 26th 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In article >,
Engineer says...

> Is Starforce a bad deal?

Had no dramas with starforce, apparently there's a challenge issued by
the creators to prove any of the faults that users have complained about
for a cash prize.

I have alcohol installed mainly for VMWare and starforce hasn't
complained about it and I have both GTR and GTL running no problems.

I think the major issue with starforce is the fact that it can take a
fair bit of time to verify an original disk (but apparently has been
fixed in later versions of starforce) mine takes about 10-20secs.

--
Cheers,
Rod.
Old December 26th 05, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Received GTR for X-mas, went to install it, read the biz about Starforce
> Copy Protection and decided to abort the install.
>
> Is Starforce a bad deal? Research on Google shows good and bad. Some folks
> claim it slowed their PC down and screwed with cd-rom burning. While others
> say it causes no problems. Please help a brother sim racer out and let me
> know if I should install GTR or not. My PC is totally tweaked and running
> perfectly at the moment for all of my sim racing pleasure. I certainly don't
> want to jack it up from Starforce.

No problems here.

Old December 26th 05, 11:10 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

it works fine, but there was a patch or something I had to do to get it to
work properly...

Old December 26th 05, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Engineer" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Received GTR for X-mas, went to install it, read the biz about Starforce
> Copy Protection and decided to abort the install.
>
> Is Starforce a bad deal? Research on Google shows good and bad. Some folks
> claim it slowed their PC down and screwed with cd-rom burning. While
> others say it causes no problems. Please help a brother sim racer out and
> let me know if I should install GTR or not. My PC is totally tweaked and
> running perfectly at the moment for all of my sim racing pleasure. I
> certainly don't want to jack it up from Starforce.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ducwizard

I have not had any negatives with starforce. The experience of others varies
as you found out on google. One thing you could try is install the GTR demo
which has starforce (though perhaps not the most current version). If it
blocks your burner, which seems to be the chief trouble, you can always
remove the demo and use the starforce removal tool. If you are running XP
setting a restore point just prior to installing starforce is also a good
idea. Alternatly you could go to the starforce site and get the most recent
version of Starforce and see if that creates any trouble. Really, given the
variation of peoples experience with SF, the only way to find out is install
and see if bothers you

Dave

Old December 26th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In the readme. file there is an explanation of how to remove Starforce after
installation. GTL has the same thing. I think it may have to be done
immediately after installation and before running the sim for the first
time.
Install the mod then delete Starforce.
Timmy

Old December 26th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thanks All! I did create a restore point in XP just before installing
GTR / SF. Installed it last night and so far all is well. GTR is really
nice too, didn't get much sleep. I can't wait to get GTL here in the
States! Thank you all again for your help / info.

Ducwizard

Old December 27th 05, 10:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Ducwizard wrote:
> Thanks All! I did create a restore point in XP just before installing
> GTR / SF. Installed it last night and so far all is well. GTR is really
> nice too, didn't get much sleep. I can't wait to get GTL here in the
> States! Thank you all again for your help / info.
>
> Ducwizard

I'm in the states and have GTL. Got it he

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam...ct/View/001GTL

It arrived in only two or three days