How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

Old August 12th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rob P

Default How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

> "jeffareid" > wrote in message
>> My guess is about 3 years, although it could go longer if the
>> money guys are willing to keep plowing money into the program.
>>
>> Once the newness wears off, some players will lose interest, just
>> as with any game or activity. I think it will be sometime late
>> this year or early next year before a trend is truly recognizable.
>>
>> For some older, long time racing players, iRacing may turn out
>> to be the last "fling" with spending a lot of time online.
>>
>> If iRacing were to cease being a subscription service and converted
>> into a purchaseable game, what would players be willing to pay for
>> it?
>>
>> The only previous subscription racing game I can recall was EA's
>> Motor City Online, which lasted almost 3 years (October 2001 to
>> August 2004). It was never released as an offline game.
>>
>> Another failed subscription game was URU Live, part of the Myst
>> series. The online content of the time and some stuff in the
>> works was eventually released as two games.

I think this sim will last for a very long time. As an aspiring, but crap
sim racer, this is just the kind of thing I've been looking for. A proper
persistent league. I have actually been in races now where I'm battling the
last 3 or 4 places in the race - awesome fun.

I remember on one occasion I spooked the guy in front so much that he spun
on the barrel roll in Laguna - luckily I was slow enough at that point that
I could avoid him. Playing against real people definetley makes a
difference.

Another advantage that iRacing seems to have is that it's sim seems to be
separated from the league stuff. In theory if new sim technology gets
developed or new graphics techniques come to the fore, iRacing can just
release an updated sim. They would be in a much stronger position to do
this, compared to other Software Houses as they will have a continuous
revenue stream.

My only concern is the price. Personally I think if it's going to be 20$ a
month, the rest of the package, in terms of new tracks and cars should be
free. This makes for a much more attractive package.

RobP

Old August 12th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

You really do not want to pay per month. The first month to try it out?
Sure. But after that if you decide you are going to do it, DO IT!

Buy the full year. It drops the price down to $13 a month ($156 for the
year) AND:

1. You get $60 iRacing credit to spend as you wish for future purchases
(cars, tracks or if anything is left over, your next subscription year if
you wish).

2. Don't forget, there are discounts for buying things in groups. I
believe 6 items (cars or tracks) net a 20% discount.

$13 a month is less than a single pizza, delivered. Think about it

Considering the investment JH & Co have put into this, it is not really that
expensive. Frankly, I was sure it was going to cost twice this much.

-Larry

Old August 12th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"JP" > wrote in message

> "Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> ddress_disguised...
>> (hoover) wrote:
>>
>> > shows again that it#s a bad idea to put all your online
>> > eggs into one company's basket.

>> It would be nice to think that if iRacing folded, the enthusiasts on the
>> team would ensure their work didn't die with them. But given the
>> corporate nature of the company and backing, I suspect if they decided to
>> shut the door they'd still want to sit very tight on the intellectual
>> property rights. So everyone would have to wave goodbye to their
>> investment in time and money.
>>
>> That's quite a risk really, and that in itself might make it more likely
>> iRacing fails... a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy.
>>
>> Andrew McP

> Not only that, but if I'm not mistaken, iracing requires online
> activation, etc. If so, good luck running the program you *paid* for,
> if/once the activation servers go down for good.

It isn't 'paid' for! One pays to use (hire) it. It's a simple enough
concept.

> Of course, when (not if) this happens, the usual "we promise we'll
> release
> a patch so that activation, etc. isn't required anymore" line will come
> out.
> In reality, that has yet to happen from all parties that have said it in
> the
> past.

So now you can see into the future.

> Hopefully I'm mistaken on whether iracing requires such items.

Hmmm.

Old August 12th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Larry wrote:
> iRacing does not use activation. It does not need it. It is an ONLINE
> ONLY service. Everything is done via the web page.

That IS the activation. No website, no racing.

Old August 12th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rob P

"Larry" > wrote in message
> You really do not want to pay per month. The first month to try it out?
> Sure. But after that if you decide you are going to do it, DO IT!
>
> Buy the full year. It drops the price down to $13 a month ($156 for the
> year) AND:
>
> 1. You get $60 iRacing credit to spend as you wish for future purchases
> (cars, tracks or if anything is left over, your next subscription year if
> you wish).
>
> 2. Don't forget, there are discounts for buying things in groups. I
> believe 6 items (cars or tracks) net a 20% discount.
>
> $13 a month is less than a single pizza, delivered. Think about it
>
> Considering the investment JH & Co have put into this, it is not really
> that expensive. Frankly, I was sure it was going to cost twice this much.
>
> -Larry

The year package is certainly a pretty good deal. The only problem is that
my family and I suspect most others, operate on a monthly budget and $156 is
quite a whack from one month. In addition, I wouldn't buy an annual package
until the sim has been out a while.

Didn't know about the discounts on buying the extras and that is certainly
welcome news.

I still think, despite the work that's gone in, that the subscription should
cover the cost of the vehicles and tracks. Maybe I'm to used to MMO's where
one buys the game, subscribes for 16 dollars or so and gets pretty much all
the content, plus new regular content and the publisher keeps track of
various leagues like PvP.

Despite this, iRacing must have got their sums right, as it is very likely
that I will be staying, even at the $20 a month model...

RobP

Old August 12th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Jeez, what a stretch, all in the name of using a word so hated in the
end-user software community. Nice Job!

-Larry

Old August 12th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

You're talking 6 figures plus to laser-scan a track. At least that's what I
read. I can understand them asking a bit for it

-Larry

news

Old August 13th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> Are you, or have you, ever signed up for iRacing ?

No, and no plans to do so in the near future. Currently I'm in
casual gaming mode, but may join iRacing in the not so near
future if it looks like it will survive.

Old August 13th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> You're talking 6 figures plus to laser-scan a track.
> At least that's what I read. I can understand them asking a bit for it.

Probably off by a factor 10 or more. I can imaging the cost ranging from
10,000 to 100,000, depending on the track rental costs (if there's an off
season, the lower end of this range).

Some guy laser scanned Eastern Creek on a "budget" for about $3,000, but his
track time was free (Eastern Creek considered it publicity for their track),
and he rented a moderately priced laser scanner. The track is a free addon
for rFactor. Videos of the track:

http://jeffareid.net/rfr/rfrecpnz.wmv

http://jeffareid.net/rfr/rfrec2005f1e.wmv

Old August 13th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"jeffareid" > wrote in message
>>> Once the newness wears off, some players will lose interest, just
>>> as with any game or activity. I think it will be sometime late
>>> this year or early next year before a trend is truly recognizable.

>> Subscription has nothing to do with it. There is a constamt influx of
>> youth into the world and also older people who consider sim racing for
>> the first time later in their life. When either group check out what's
>> available, they will simply migrate to the best sim that offers what
>> they're looking for.

> In my area, (USA), most of the youth that are playing games of any type
> are either into console games, first person shooters, or role playing
> games.
> Simulation oriented racing games are a tiny market in the USA, so I don't
> know how it is outside the USA, but currently, it seems that iRacing
> servers will only be based in the USA, resulting in lag issues for players
> from other countries.
>
> I just don't see that many people migrating to any racing sim these days,
> as it's my opinion that the heydays of sim racing are gone. It was
> moderately
> popular from about 1999 to 2005 and since then interest has waned, for
> multple reasons; player burn out, a much larger variety of games available
> now, plus all the add-ons for these games splintering the player pool into
> small groups. What's left is a dedicated core of racing sim players, and
> I question if there are enough of them for iRacing's current business
> model
> to sustain it for more than about 3 years.

So sim racing died shortly after Papyrus did - just a co-incidence? Just
after the last sim (N2003) that made simming easy and simple?

>> What so many of you are failing to understand also, is that iRacing is
>> not just a sim - it's a service that offers much more than any sim in a
>> box ever will.

> What is the advantage of a service versus a boxed or downloadable and
> expandable game? The disadvantage is obvious, if the service goes away, so
> does your game. This is the question that potential subscribers will be
> asking.

Well it seems that another thing you fail to understand is that iRacing
is nothing without the surrounding service - and that's fine with me because
without that I probably wouldn't give a stuff anyway. As far as I'm
concerned, just making a sim without an accompanying service is no longer
good enough. And i dont mean just a server either.

hummer could be done, the dinosaurs will not survive [email protected] Technology 7 July 15th 08 03:45 AM
Man eats own leg to survive car accident Tom Scales BMW 2 February 9th 07 06:13 PM
Man eats own leg to survive car accident Eugene Blanchard Corvette 0 February 8th 07 12:04 AM
Update on Drive To Survive Iva Mazda 8 October 7th 06 12:56 AM
Audi UK "Long Life Service" Barry Bingham Audi 7 November 3rd 04 02:26 PM