GT4 - A First Look

Old February 25th 05, 06:07 PM

I agree with your assessment. GT4 is better in almost every regard
compared to GT3, but I'm just not feeling it. It will be interesting
to see how Forza and Enthusia stack up. Although I'm not buying
another wheel, so Forza will be gamepad only for me.

Does anyone else find it odd that Microsoft will be releasiing Forza
within days of making their XBox2 announcement? That's got to hurt
sales for the game and probably kill sales for that 'ForceShock" wheel
that was 'developed' for Forza. I'm surely not sinking $150 into a
wheel that's not real FF for a console that has another 6 months of
life in it.

Old February 25th 05, 08:09 PM
Steve Smith

Euthanasia racing...yes!!!

ups.com...

Old February 25th 05, 08:11 PM
Steve Smith

Real racers don't use gamepads. (P.S. I'm not a real racer...but I play one
on the Internet.)

Old February 25th 05, 08:13 PM
Steve Smith

Joke's on you. There is no decent wheel for the Xbox...and won't be until
the Xbox 360 (aka II) 'cuz MS never bothered to implement FF, so no decent
wheel mfr. will build a decent wheel for it, FF or not. This isn't
speculation, that's what a major wheel manufacturer told me.

http://www.toddwalker.net

Old February 25th 05, 09:06 PM

Steve Smith wrote:

> But it ain't no GPL.

That is a good thing considering GPL is well past its used by date.

Old February 25th 05, 10:35 PM
Steve Simpson

The Forza demo is extremely impressive except that the tracks are devoid of
bumps. Maybe it's unfair to compare it to something like GTR which has
probably got the best track surfaces ever in sim. Other than that, it's
very hard to fault the physics in Forza. It runs at half the frame rate of
GT3/4 though which is pretty lame.

I loved how realistic GT3 looked but the gameplay never really excited me
much. I preferred games like F355 Challenge, Vanishing Point, Project
Gotham etc where the cars were a real handful to drive and you could develop
some serious skills. I haven't played GT4 yet but it'll be cool if it's as
challenging as those games.

Old February 26th 05, 04:21 PM
Smokin_Bob

I just picked this up the other day, and it is quite an achievement.
As we all know, graphics are not everything, but when you have the
exceptional physics (notably the road feel--very well done) and are
also fortunate enough to be able to run in 1980x1080i mode, it really
makes a huge impact. I have no idea how the PS2 can do what it is
doing with GT4, but I am glad it is doing it

I do certainly miss damage, and even a rudimentary cockpit would have
been nice--even if it would mean giving up an AI car for processing
power, I find it sometimes difficult to judge the virtual dimensions of
my car. Plus, my Lister looks exactly like that mini van on the inside
But, there are so many items displayed in the 'front ahead view (no
idea what to call it)' that you do get a sense of being in something.

I also did a 2 lap B-Spec event at the Nurburgring (I LOVE THE CHALK
MARKS!!) coaching the Lister Storm to a 3rd place finish--watching that
race unfold was very enjoyable, and is a nice addtion for when you want
to check out some racing action, but do not feel like driving

I was very happy with GT3, and even happier with GT4, but I am a bit
disappointed as I had heard early owners of the game had a 200+ page
document of some sort jammed into the box, but that may have been the
Japanese version only.

I actually prefer the XBOX for most of my console gaming needs, but
when it comes to driving, the PS2 has no equal. I am very disappointed
in the lack of FFB with XBOX, and of the two wheels I so far have
tried--the Pelican EVO GT, and the MadCatz something or other were both
very lacking--The madcatz reminded me of the old Thrustmaster
T1....without the quality part. The EVO is a simple wheel that uses
friction to simulate the road. Both wheels when coupled with the XBOX
provide some of the worst driving experience around. It's not so much
the game--but the interface of human and game is just not so well done
on the XBOX. And it's a shame really--I really like PGR2, IndyCar
2005, CMR05, Chase for the Cup, Thunder 2004, and Rallisport
challenge--but I am getting better 'response' using the gamepad, and
that just isn't easy for me to drive that way.

I really need to quit buying those damn XBOX driving games I have
not tried the Logitech NASCAR wheel yet, and don't think I will unless
I hear some raving reviews on it for the XBOX.

Old February 26th 05, 04:27 PM
Smokin_Bob

On the third page of this thread, I have some pics I took of my
television with GT4 in the High Def mode. The menus are all 480i, but
it autoswitches to the HD mode when you hit the track. Beautiful to
say the least. Please ignore all my GIANT LETTER posts--I was giving
my buddy a hard time because his wife would not let him have it until
his birthday

http://www.ctd-racing.com/forums/sho...0&page=1&pp=30

Old February 26th 05, 04:28 PM
Smokin_Bob

Good grief--I forgot--I am using the Driving Force Pro steering wheel
over here, and it is a great console wheel--a heck of a lot better than
many other (starts with m, ends with SOFT) wheels for PC racing, and
can also be used on the PC.