Damn, I won't be buying GTR afterall

Old February 13th 05, 05:36 AM
Pete Panaia

>> Chris Pound wrote:
>> Because they are putting Starforce protection drivers in it. Even the
>> freaking demo has Starforce in it. I didn't buy HL2 because of Steam
>> and I certainly won't buy anymore games with Starforce after buying
>> Toca2. I classify Starforce as a Trojan. Look it up.

> "Mitch_A" wrote:
> As much as I hate Steam it isnt nearly as bad after a few levels of HL2.
> Took me a few levels to get out my aggression over having to install steam
> in the first place. Id be more ****ed at myself if I didnt get HL2
> because
> of steam.
>
> Starforce isnt nearly as offensive as Steam either.

Well put!
I feel pretty much the same. HL2 was about a click and a half away from
getting kicked to the curb!
My first 3 attempts at installing failed. After calling their tech support
(somewhere in India) and another failed install attempt they said that
I had to exchange my game for a new copy! >;(
I did finally get it to work, and the game is really great!!!
Steam is a REAL Pain in the Arse! It does have some benefits but should be
more of an elective process!

So far I have had no problems with the new GTR demo... *knocking on wood*
This new 'SPA at dusk' demo Rocks!
That 'Starforce' thing would need to be really BAD to stop me from canceling
my world release pre-order! >
I can't wait!!!

-- Pete

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti.

Old February 13th 05, 07:17 AM
Chad Rogers

I tend to agree with the hackers and cheats comments. If people would just
pay for the stinking stuff we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Old February 13th 05, 08:57 AM
Andre Queree \(Mr Q\)

Perhaps it's the assumption the publishers make that he's a thief.

These copy protection schemes only annoy legitimate customers - users of
pirate versions don't have to put with them.

--
Andre

Old February 13th 05, 09:26 AM
Jussi Koukku

Chris Pound wrote:
> Because they are putting Starforce protection drivers in it. Even the
> freaking demo has Starforce in it. I didn't buy HL2 because of Steam
> and I certainly won't buy anymore games with Starforce after buying
> Toca2. I classify Starforce as a Trojan. Look it up.

Your loss.

GTR installer tells you that it will install StarForce. Classify that as
you may.

And to all Nero users: I use Nero too, no problems with StarForce there.
And if you do encounter troubles with it, contact StarForce tech
support. They can't fix what they don't know about. They're quite
helpful too.
Old February 13th 05, 10:51 AM
Edgecrusher

The irony is that the protection is already broken and you can download the game so starforce has done nothing to solve
piracy but it has ****ed off a lot of people who bought the game. They are always the ones to suffer.

_____

Steve

"Military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense."

Old February 13th 05, 12:17 PM
John Wallace

And those "FT"s will know as well as the rest of us that their copy
protection will make ZERO difference to those to whom such copy
protection is the starting gun in a race to see who can beat it the
earliest.

Therefore the protection serves only as a punishment for the purchaser,
and a very minor impediment for the would be pirate.

As the DRM debate says, trying to keep an honest user honest is like
trying to keep a tall user tall.

I refused to buy HL2 for the reason of Steam, and I'll surely refuse to
buy GTR if it insists on dumping hidden files on my computer.

John

Old February 13th 05, 02:40 PM
Andi Cole

We probably don't want the Mr Angry's of this world racing GTR anyway. I
tend to side with the people here who have had no problems, it's only a game
and I know hundreds of people who won't be buying because it's a driving
game, so a few who don't buy it for other reasons is fine.

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

Old February 13th 05, 07:06 PM
Scoob Droolins

Andi Cole wrote:
> We probably don't want the Mr Angry's of this world racing GTR

anyway. I
> tend to side with the people here who have had no problems, it's only

a game
> and I know hundreds of people who won't be buying because it's a

driving
> game, so a few who don't buy it for other reasons is fine.
>
> --
> Andi.
>
> Remove only one zero to reply
>

> "Jussi Koukku" > wrote in message
> > Chris Pound wrote:
> > > Because they are putting Starforce protection drivers in it. Even

the
> > > freaking demo has Starforce in it. I didn't buy HL2 because of

Steam
> > > and I certainly won't buy anymore games with Starforce after

buying
> > > Toca2. I classify Starforce as a Trojan. Look it up.

> > Your loss.
> >
> > GTR installer tells you that it will install StarForce. Classify

that as
> > you may.
> >
> > And to all Nero users: I use Nero too, no problems with StarForce

there.
> > And if you do encounter troubles with it, contact StarForce tech
> > support. They can't fix what they don't know about. They're quite
> > helpful too.

Always causes me major eye-rolling when people whine about things like
Starforce or SafeDisc - you probably already have several far more
insidious "drivers" lurking around on your machine that you dont even
know about - it's like a smoker complaining about air pollution.

Fact is, the makers of these products pitch them to retailers. And
they have a done such a good job of convincing retailers that this
stuff works, today no retailer will accept a game without some kind of
copy protection.

I've heard all the arguments, pro and con. If these products cause
legitimate harm to your computer, then your complaint is warranted.
Too often, it's just selective griping about an easy target like
Starforce. Ya know, we wouldn't need cops if it wasnt for all those
damn *crooks* . . .

j c

Old February 13th 05, 08:56 PM
Larry

If it doesn't stay within it's own domain (the game), and alters my system
or adds background tasks, then I'll be skipping over it too.

I purchased HL2 and I am VERY upset with how it works (Steam). I haven't
played it more than 15 min since I bought it.

I want to sell it, but because of the draconian system that's involved I
don't even know if that's possible.

-Larry