first storm for my jeep

Old January 21st 05, 09:24 PM
j.lef

Default first storm for my jeep

Well, up here in the northeast we are expecting our first
major snowstorm of the year with snow more then a foot expected. This will
be my first jeeps snow storm, and the actually looking forward to it, to see
how it will handle in snow, ice, and eventually wet slosh. It should prove
educational.

Much
regards Jerry

Old January 21st 05, 09:37 PM
Mike Romain

Just remember you can't stop any faster than anyone else!

I highly recommend an empty parking lot to try it. To stop it is best
to use the gears and feather the brakes only using the brakes for the
final stop. With a little practice, the gears can hold you at the
'threshold' braking point.

You might also find it easier to make say a left at an intersection if
you drop to 2 wheel drive for the turn, then just shift back to 4x4 once
3/4 the way around it.

One front tire has to scuff on a corner when in part time 4x4 and this
can get you up on top so you plow along straight.

Have fun and be safe!

Hey, my tenant just told me we are supposed to get it too! Cool!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 21st 05, 11:50 PM
M. E. Bye

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:37:18 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Just remember you can't stop any faster than anyone else!
>
>I highly recommend an empty parking lot to try it. To stop it is best
>to use the gears and feather the brakes only using the brakes for the
>final stop. With a little practice, the gears can hold you at the
>'threshold' braking point.
>
>You might also find it easier to make say a left at an intersection if
>you drop to 2 wheel drive for the turn, then just shift back to 4x4 once
>3/4 the way around it.
>
>One front tire has to scuff on a corner when in part time 4x4 and this
>can get you up on top so you plow along straight.
>
>Have fun and be safe!
>
>Hey, my tenant just told me we are supposed to get it too! Cool!
>
>Mike
>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>

>"j.lef" wrote:
>>
>> Well, up here in the northeast we are expecting our first
>> major snowstorm of the year with snow more then a foot expected. This will
>> be my first jeeps snow storm, and the actually looking forward to it, to see
>> how it will handle in snow, ice, and eventually wet slosh. It should prove
>> educational.
>>
>> Much
>> regards Jerry

As a resident of northern Wisconsin, I "second" Mike's recommendation
about getting your Jeep's "snow legs" in an empty parking lot.
Remember, due to that short wheelbase, the ass end can catch up with
the front end real quickly.

Mark
'98 XJ
'98 TJ

Old January 21st 05, 11:51 PM
Tom T

Yea, the weatherman is calling for up to a foot here in the
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia on Saturday. It started out as
a 3 to 6 inch snow fall, but has grown every four hours it seems.
And the lastest news is the wind will blow it all around into drifts
Saturday night and Sunday. The good news is the temperatures
are going up into the 40s next week. My motto: God put it here
and God can take it away. . . Shovels don't fit my hands, but I
have a snow blower just in case the better half has a @&%* fit !
Tom T

Old January 22nd 05, 01:02 AM
j.lef

> You might also find it easier to make say a left at an intersection if
> you drop to 2 wheel drive for the turn, then just shift back to 4x4 once
> 3/4 the way around it.
>
> Does this apply, if you are using full time 4wd. I took that

option for that purpose. Or are you referring to if you only have part time
4wd?
I got the full time 4wd, particularly for my wife, who is an
older , new driver, so she wouldnt have to be shifting around in bad
weather. Just put it into 4wd, when ever the road is wet or rough terrain?

Much regards Jerry

Old January 22nd 05, 02:44 PM
Mike Romain

"j.lef" wrote:

> > You might also find it easier to make say a left at an intersection if
> > you drop to 2 wheel drive for the turn, then just shift back to 4x4 once
> > 3/4 the way around it.
> >
> > Does this apply, if you are using full time 4wd. I took that

> option for that purpose. Or are you referring to if you only have part time
> 4wd?
> I got the full time 4wd, particularly for my wife, who is an
> older , new driver, so she wouldnt have to be shifting around in bad
> weather. Just put it into 4wd, when ever the road is wet or rough terrain?
>
> Much regards Jerry

The full time isn't supposed to have those scuffing wheel issues, that
is why I mentioned the 'part time'.

The full time isn't as strong a pull as the part time though so once she
gets used to it, she might want to try the difference out in an empty
snowy parking lot.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 23rd 05, 03:00 AM
Jeff

Hey Guys...our club has started a Severe Weather Assistance Team
(S.W.A.T)...when ever there's a major storm our club makes sure that all the
necessary doctors and nurses get to the hospitals for their shifts...it
allows us to get out and drive in the worst of conditions and help at the
same time...We work with the Nova Scotia Capital Health Association...we're
hoping it will give our club a positive presence in the community...we've
already had a nice article written in the NS Daily News and a spot on the
CBC News where they rode with us through the storm... you can check out the
news clip on my ftp server...
Luvvin' playin' in the white mud!!!

--
Jeff
'03 TJ & '95 ZJ
oups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 05:28 AM
MudPuppy76

j.lef wrote:

> Well, up here in the northeast we are expecting our first
> major snowstorm of the year with snow more then a foot expected. This will
> be my first jeeps snow storm, and the actually looking forward to it, to see
> how it will handle in snow, ice, and eventually wet slosh. It should prove
> educational.
>

> Much
> regards Jerry

heheheh, upstate ny yj driver here. do you
remember the big storm last dec 25? they didn't
bother to plow i-90 with 24 inches of snow on it.
great for jeeps, snowmobubbles, and not much else.

have fun! be safe!

--
Ben Jerew AKA PolarPuppy
ASE Certified Master Technician
Old January 23rd 05, 01:13 PM
Jeff

The storm has started here in Nova Scotia

--
"MudPuppy76 <"<moc.rr.pacyn"@"pupralop">" <--SDRAWKCAB> wrote in message
> j.lef wrote:
>
> > Well, up here in the northeast we are expecting our

first
> > major snowstorm of the year with snow more then a foot expected. This

will
> > be my first jeeps snow storm, and the actually looking forward to it, to

see
> > how it will handle in snow, ice, and eventually wet slosh. It should

prove
> > educational.

Much

Old January 23rd 05, 03:04 PM
j.lef

> heheheh, upstate ny yj driver here. do you
> remember the big storm last dec 25? they didn't
> bother to plow i-90 with 24 inches of snow on it.
> great for jeeps, snowmobubbles, and not much else.
>
> have fun! be safe!
>
> I remember it well. I was in saranac lake at the time(right

next to Lake Placid where the olympics have have held). There was plenty of
snow if I remember on the ground already. Good place to be for a storm.

Much regards Jerry