tire recommendations

Old October 13th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_7_]

Default tire recommendations

"jim beam" > wrote in message
---snippy---

> no kidding. helium diffuses through rubber like you left the door open.
> fact is, unless you have a specific [aerospace type] need such as
> corrosion resistance, condensation resistance or fire resistance, an
> all-nitrogen tire inflation is utterly pointless.

OTOH, if you happen to have a tank of it lying around for other uses, it
won't hurt.

Earle

Old October 16th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Timothy J. Lee

In article . net>,
Art > wrote:
>Personally, I think you are making a mistake considering rolling resistance
>your most important quality. Handling and stopping should be number one.
>Heat resistance probably next.

Rolling resistance and tread wear should properly be considered in
determining how much a given model of tire actually costs, rather
than part of the measure of quality (which would be based mainly on
handling and braking in the conditions the tire will be used, and
comfort aspects to a lesser extent).

>You might want to check Consumer Reports at your local library for some
>ratings in the last year or 2. Michelin MXV4 plus are good but expensive.
>Also http://www.tirerack.com/tires/review...surveyComments

Tire Rack's survey results are useful. Consumer Reports' newest
issue of November 2006 has a report on their tire tests that are
likely to include tires of the type that the original poster is
interested in. (Unfortunately, their rolling resistance and tread
wear ratings do not have a key to determine what percentage difference
there is between the different ratings, so it is still a guess as to
whether the cheaper tire with higher rolling resistance really is
still cheaper after the extra fuel use is taken into consideration.)

Timothy J. Lee
Old October 17th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

Milleron wrote:

> TripleTreds, but I'm also intrigued by the Goodyear ComforTreds. Would
> you guess that the ComforTred, which is NOT promoted for handling,
> might still yield better handling that the OEM Turanza EL-41?

I put ComforTreds on our 2004 Accord I4 EX to improve the highway ride
and improve traction. Successful on both counts. The ComforTreds lack
responsiveness but that isn't an issue for my daughter who is the
primary driver. My other daughter prefers the feel of her Bridgestone
G009s. To each their own.

Old October 18th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Smith

Nasty wrote:
> "Mike Smith" > wrote in message
>> Nasty wrote:
>>> Well given that the atmosphere is about 76% nitrogen already I never saw
>>> the return in spending money for the other 24%. Your mileage may vary of
>>> course.

>> It's what's in the other 24% that matters.

> Is this where I say "Duh!"?
>
> <It includes water vapor and
>> carbon dioxide, whose pressures vary more with temperature than nitrogen,
>> and also oxygen, which is more chemically reactive than nitrogen.

> Yes it does. That's why it's CALLED the other 24%.

I'll bet you got beat up a lot in school, didn't ya? Or did you only
recently become a prick?

--

Mike Smith
Old October 25th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
y_p_w

Dave L wrote:

> The Tirerack survey is dismal when you compare it to the high cost. The
> Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is rated the highest. Bridgestone Potenza RE92 is
> bad also. However, I had the Potenza RE950 on my old Prelude and they were
> great 3 season but snow traction had much to be desired.

Haven't owned a Honda-built vehicle since my '95 Integra GS-R
was stolen then stripped, but.....

I've only heard of rare praise for the RE92 in any size. Even the
Firestone shop manager agreed with me that they're not really
a high-performance tire. I recently purchased a set of Michelin
Pilot Exalto A/S for my folks family sedan (won't say what it is,
but the tires are 205/65-R15). I thought it was rather squishy,
but it was probably the car. They haven't worn in yet, so their
characteristics may change.

Bridgestone's newest performance all-season is the RE960AS Pole
Position. I just got a set in 205/55-16 for a certain AWD vehicle.
They're a bit on the heavy side in all sizes, but they're smooth-
riding, relatively quiet, and seem to handle well (so far). Reviews
of this model seem to state that it's fine in the rain although it
came out after last winter, so no reports on how it does in the
snow. It does seem to be more aggressively siped than the RE950
- especially on the shoulder blocks. I think they built it for
better traction in light snow.

<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+R E960AS+Pole+Position>

For the people posting and reading responses, I think it has to be
noted that often we're often talking about different sized tires
(sometimes with different speed ratings) even if it's the same
model. That seems to be lost a bit when people talk about the
tires they've tried. There might even be slightly different tread
or belt materials/design with different sizes. Tires definitely
behave differently with different sizes, so the reviewer on Tirerack
who just raved about how reponsive those low-profile 45-series
tires were may not jibe with the person who complains about the
65-series tire with the same model name. I'm pretty sure that
the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S that I found squishy on my parents'
car is going to feel like I'm riding on rails in 235/45HR17 with a
stiff suspension.

I believe the stock size for the original poster's 2003 Accord is
205/60R16, where the options don't seem to include the higher
performance all-seasons like the Pilot Exalto A/S or the
RE960AS. I perused the Tirerack's offerings, and excluding
the "touring tires" (the kind that the original poster found a
bit squirmy in the wind) here are a few that look promising:

Bridgestone Potenza G 009
Yokohama AVID H4S
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons
Fuzion (Bridgestone) HRi
Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus
Sumitomo HTR+

Old October 27th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I have a year to go yet, but unless something new shows up in the
market, I've already decided, based on Consumer Reports and Tirerack
comments/survey results:

Yokohama Avid in the V-rating. Yoko has finally decided to make tires
with decent wear/longevity characteristics. I've always liked them but
they've generally only lasted 20,000-22,000 miles. This tire has good
handling, noise, ride, stopping, snow/ice, wet performance. Clearly a
winner, as is the "H" rated version.

Yoko Avid TRZ is also available in Accord size, would be great for
grandma so long as she doesn't exceed the "T" speed rating. Soft ride,
not as much handling available, but overall very good performance.

Bridgestone 009 would be a candidate in a pinch -- no where near the
RE930's and RE950's performance, especially in the wet, but a decent
tire. And 930/950's aren't available in Accord size. Unfortunately
all these Bridgestones ride a bit rough, and start making lots (!) of
noise as the tread wears down. Worse and worse, after the half-way
point.

Triple Tread -- well, this tire just seems to have inconsistent
performance for many people. The Avid is almost universally admired,
but the TT isn't. And, performance seems to go 'way down after the
first 20,000 miles according to TireRack comments. Which is something
Consumer Reports doesn't check for. (And they should: Shave those
tires and retest, folks!)

The new YK520 Yoyo at Discount Tire seems to be pretty good also.

Old October 27th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> The new YK520 Yoyo at Discount Tire seems to be pretty good also.

I meant Yokohama, of course. This tire replaces the YK420, and is
similarly a "designed just for Discount Tire" model.

Dissatisfied with Discount Tire [email protected] Technology 8 August 30th 06 07:00 PM
65 tire recommendations bad65 Corvette 6 November 29th 04 10:53 PM
19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 06:31 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM