Manual Transmission Fluid Change - Photos???

Old November 15th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Manual Transmission Fluid Change - Photos???

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:46:04 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> jim beam > wrote in
> news >
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:26:37 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>>

>>> Toyota's OEM gasket for oil pan drain plugs is non-metallic. It's some
>>> sort of hard black fibrous material. Works quite well.

>> it uses the fiber reinforcing to address tearing. and being polymeric,
>> it can't take the same thermal load - academic here though.
>>

> What does thermal load matter? The gasket works just fine sealing
> against hot oil in spite of being non-metallic, which was my only point.
>
> A gasket for a fastener does not have to be metallic to be effective and
> allow specified torque.

to be utterly pedantic, a metal crush washer isn't going to soften or
creep at the temperatures a polymeric one will. and thus it will maintain
torque. academic? probably. relevant? probably not.

Old November 15th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

jim beam > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:46:04 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>
>> jim beam > wrote in
>> news >>

>>> it uses the fiber reinforcing to address tearing. and being
>>> polymeric, it can't take the same thermal load - academic here
>>> though.
>>>

>> What does thermal load matter? The gasket works just fine sealing
>> against hot oil in spite of being non-metallic, which was my only
>> point.
>>
>> A gasket for a fastener does not have to be metallic to be effective
>> and allow specified torque.

> to be utterly pedantic, a metal crush washer isn't going to soften or
> creep at the temperatures a polymeric one will. and thus it will
> maintain torque. academic? probably. relevant? probably not.

So then how is it that the Toyota fiber washer appears to maintain torque
sufficient to prevent leaks?

I have to give a fiber-gasketed bolt just as much of a tug to loosen it
that I must apply to a Honda metal-gasketed bolt, so clearly the fiber
gasket is not failing over time.

If you mean a fiber washer would not be able to withstand temperatures of,
say, 1000 degrees while a metal one will, that may well be true. Except
that oil never gets any hotter than about 220, so metal's advantage there
is moot.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ