The roots of viatology

Old September 24th 08, 10:29 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

Default The roots of viatology

Hi Viatologists,

If you're into the study of roads, then you're a viatologist. If you're new
to the newsgroups and are interested in the etymology behind the term,
simply head to the Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL). Here's where
you can find it:

http://wwtl.info > "What is Viatology?"

Did you know that the WWTL coined the term 'viatology'? Though the term is
relatively new, the concept isn't. With the introduction of modern road
atlases and roadways in the early 1900s, in places like the Americas and
Europe, first-generation viatologists grew aware of international roads and
independently mapped their own travels. No travel agented needed. They
knew which roads to take, what kind of material the road was made of, and
the best time to travel that less-traveled gem. In modern times, the WWTL
carries on that tradition and helps capture the interest of mainstream
international travelers. To get you from one country to the next, we
provide you w/ photographs and videos that show the road and its surrounding
scenery. We've got the answers you want and have four continents worth of
information!

....Are you looking for a little viatology on-the-go? The WWTL provides
photographs and videos through our live RSS feeds:

http://wwtl.info/pwwh-rss.xml (Road photographs)
http://wwtl.info/vwwh-rss.xml (Road videos)

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Environment first, transportology second"
********
Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):
http://wwtl.info
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete coverage of international roads and railways.
Since 2000, we offer several photographs, videos and
Virtual 360 demonstrations -- free of charge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********

Old September 25th 08, 10:58 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Odo

On Sep 24, 4:29*pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> If you're into the study of roads, then you're a viatologist. *If you're new
> to the newsgroups and are interested in the etymology behind the term,
> simply head to the Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL). *Here's where
> you can find it:
>
> http://wwtl.info> "What is Viatology?"

Q: What is viatology?

A: Viatology is the scientific study of highways; the term was coined
by contributor Carl Rogers in August 2007 after many years of travel
into several countries and the inherent lack of a scientific term to
discuss what he and fellow cohorts engaged. Prior to the development
of this term, vernacular terms like "road scholar" or "roadgeek" were
commonplace in small caucasian groups of North America.

"Small caucasian groups"? Are you saying there are no African
Americans, Hispanics or Asians who enjoy this hobby?

Old September 25th 08, 02:20 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Froggie

> On Sep 25, 4:58*am, Odo > wrote:
>
> > Q: What is viatology?
> >
> > A: Viatology is the scientific study of highways; the term was coined
> > by contributor Carl Rogers in August 2007 after many years of travel
> > into several countries and the inherent lack of a scientific term to
> > discuss what he and fellow cohorts engaged.

As I noted over a year ago, a very similar term (omitting the "at")
was coined by Dave Sturm over 10 years ago. In case Mr. Rogers forgot
(or ignored):

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....34f7a760371f99

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....db0773ee853db3

> "Small caucasian groups"? Are you saying there are no African
> Americans, Hispanics or Asians who enjoy this hobby?

There are...or at least there were, for those who may remember Sandy
Smith from several years ago.

Froggie | Suitland, MD | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/
Old September 27th 08, 11:41 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

"Odo" > wrote in message

>"Small caucasian groups"? Are you saying there are no African
> Americans, Hispanics or Asians who enjoy this hobby?

Umm yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. WRONG. Pfft.

Do yourself a favour. Go back to the same website. Scroll down to the
bottom lefthand corner of the page. Look at the list of contributors and
understand there are several cultures represented. Are these people all
white? I rest my case, nitwit.

Old September 28th 08, 12:21 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

On Sep 25, 6:20*am, Froggie > wrote:
> > On Sep 25, 4:58*am, Odo > wrote:

> > > Q: What is viatology?

> > > A: Viatology is the scientific study of highways; the term was coined
> > > by contributor Carl Rogers in August 2007 after many years of travel
> > > into several countries and the inherent lack of a scientific term to
> > > discuss what he and fellow cohorts engaged.

> As I noted over a year ago, a very similar term (omitting the "at")
> was coined by Dave Sturm over 10 years ago. *In case Mr. Rogers forgot
> (or ignored):
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/misc....se_frm/thread/...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/misc....se_frm/thread/...
>
> > "Small caucasian groups"? Are you saying there are no African
> > Americans, Hispanics or Asians who enjoy this hobby?

> There are...or at least there were, for those who may remember Sandy
> Smith from several years ago.
>
> Froggie *| *Suitland, MD *| *http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

On Sep 25, 6:20 am, Froggie > wrote:
> > On Sep 25, 4:58 am, Odo > wrote:

> > > Q: What is viatology?

> > > A: Viatology is the scientific study of highways; the term was coined
> > > by contributor Carl Rogers in August 2007 after many years of travel
> > > into several countries and the inherent lack of a scientific term to
> > > discuss what he and fellow cohorts engaged.

> As I noted over a year ago, a very similar term (omitting the "at")
> was coined by Dave Sturm over 10 years ago. In case Mr. Rogers forgot
> (or ignored):

Hi Froggie,

As you've demonstrated, every viatologist has their opinion.
Viatology spans well before the time of anyone whose contributed to
these newsgroups. Even before those people's fathers. You can watch
your nickelodeon, Froggie, others watch TV.

The term viatology is well-known w/in MTR, whether you wish to
tolerate it or otherwise. Don't get me wrong. I pay attention to
history. For example, the year 1996 produced websites similar to your
site's layout.

If people want to see rural Mississippi, they can visit your website.
If people wish to see roads from the USA, Canada, México, Japan,
China, and more -- that's something you just cannot offer. The
Worldwide Transportation Library, an international viatology exhibit,
does: http://wwtl.info

Keep up your coverage alive in Mississippi! Everybody in the world is
soooo interested in that state.

Old September 28th 08, 01:35 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Odo

On Sep 27, 5:41*pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:

> Do yourself a favour. Go back to the same website. *Scroll down to the
> bottom lefthand corner of the page. *Look at the list of contributors and
> understand there are several cultures represented. *Are these people all
> white? *I rest my case, nitwit.

I don't know: you tell me. It doesn't state on the contributor page if
anyone is African-American, Asian or White AngloSaxon Protestant. And
if they ARE an ethnic minority, do they approve of your using the term
"small caucasian groups"?

Old September 28th 08, 02:28 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Carl ROGÉRS

On Sep 27, 5:35*pm, Odo > wrote:
> On Sep 27, 5:41*pm, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
>

> > Do yourself a favour. Go back to the same website. *Scroll down to the
> > bottom lefthand corner of the page. *Look at the list of contributors and
> > understand there are several cultures represented. *Are these people all
> > white? *I rest my case, nitwit.

> I don't know: you tell me. It doesn't state on the contributor page if
> anyone is African-American, Asian or *White AngloSaxon Protestant. And
> if they ARE an ethnic minority, do they approve of your using the term
> "small caucasian groups"?

Question for you. Where does it say that that all these people are
caucasian?

You really don't get out much... Nor do you understand genealogy.
It's not my burden really.

Now, before you come up w/ your contrarian response, know that I will
never read it (nor remember your name). Just know that, on 27
September 2008, you got what you always wanted -- a response from Carl
Rogers.

Old September 28th 08, 03:18 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Otto Yamamoto

Carl Rogers wrote:

> Just know that, on 27
> September 2008, you got what you always wanted -- a response from Carl
> Rogers.

AKA Racist Roadsibe Randy's first Illegitimate Son. I'll let you all guess
who the second one is.

--
Otto Yamamoto
Old September 28th 08, 04:08 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Froggie

> On Sep 27, 11:21*pm, Carl Rogers > wrote:
>
> Hi Froggie,
>
> As you've demonstrated, every viatologist has their opinion.
> Viatology spans well before the time of anyone whose contributed to
> these newsgroups. *Even before those people's fathers. *You can watch
> your nickelodeon, Froggie, others watch TV.
>
> The term viatology is well-known w/in MTR, whether you wish to
> tolerate it or otherwise. *Don't get me wrong. *I pay attention to
> history. *For example, the year 1996 produced websites similar to your
> site's layout.
>
> If people want to see rural Mississippi, they can visit your website.
> If people wish to see roads from the USA, Canada, México, Japan,
> China, and more -- that's something you just cannot offer. *The
> Worldwide Transportation Library, an international viatology exhibit,
> does: *http://wwtl.info
>
> Keep up your coverage alive in Mississippi! *Everybody in the world is
> soooo interested in that state.

Hi Carl,

Nice barbs. Nothing new coming from you, but nice nonetheless.

You obviously missed my point, or chose to ignore it. The term
"viatology" isn't at issue. What is at issue is your claim to coin
new terms for the hobby, i.e. "viatology", when others have coined
very similar terms (perhaps not the exact same, but the same baseline)
in the past.

Also, if you want to play the "my coverage is better than your
coverage" game (as you do with almost all your posts), consider a few
things...first, you are by far not the only "international" site out
there (yes, I have international coverage of my own, as you also chose
to ignore). Second, a cursory look at your website shows that your
U.S. coverage includes 33 states. To say nothing about other
nationwide sites such as aaroads or Dale Sanderson's U.S. highway
site, my own site covers 38 states and I could easily add coverage of
6 more if I spent the time to do so. Far more than just "rural
Mississippi" as you jabbed at me.

Lastly, I've noticed that most of your coverage is contributions from
other people, whereas most of my coverage is my own. This isn't
normally a bad thing, but you have a tendency to belittle everyone
else about it.

Good luck with your site. And your reputation.

Froggie | Washington, DC | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Green viatology Carl Rogers Driving 0 June 26th 08 10:47 PM
Viatology and Vitalogy Carl Rogers Driving 2 April 19th 08 02:08 AM
Viatology Carl ROGÉRS Driving 15 August 29th 07 04:49 AM
Repost for PB: 1929 Mercedes-Benz SSK Roadster 250HP Engine w-Roots Supercharger.jpg 114912 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Old Timers Photos 0 July 23rd 07 02:15 PM