rFactor FF Settings

Old November 22nd 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default rFactor FF Settings

Using a G25...

I'm having trouble getting the desired force feedback feel in rFactor.
For one thing, I don't want any artificial vibrations or shocks
transmitted through the wheel. Shocks and vibrations that would
naturally be transmitted through the steering linkage is fine.

What would be perfect is if the feedback was based on actual calculated
torques were between the steering column and the contact patch. I'm
not sure that's possible just by looking through the controller.ini
file.

Does anyone have any recommended settings that get rid of extraneous
vibration, such the the throttle and brake effects?

Pat Dotson

Old November 22nd 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Using a G25...
>
> I'm having trouble getting the desired force feedback feel in rFactor.
> For one thing, I don't want any artificial vibrations or shocks
> transmitted through the wheel. Shocks and vibrations that would
> naturally be transmitted through the steering linkage is fine.
>
> What would be perfect is if the feedback was based on actual calculated
> torques were between the steering column and the contact patch. I'm
> not sure that's possible just by looking through the controller.ini
> file.
>
> Does anyone have any recommended settings that get rid of extraneous
> vibration, such the the throttle and brake effects?
>
> Pat Dotson

Look for every instance of "vibe freq mult" in the controller.ini file and
set it to zero, except for the one relating to rumble strips - that will get
the "noise" of out of the FF. I suspect setting the FF effects level to the
next to lowest in-game may do much the same, but I guess I'm an ini sort of
guy. Old school... ;-)

SB

Old November 22nd 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

While were at it, anyone know how to remove the FF 'Dead Zone' in NR2003?
Like previous Logitech wheels, there is absolutely nothing 30 deg on-center.
You have to go past this to get FF.

I'm wobbly enough at SS's without this

-Larry

ps.com...

Old November 22nd 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thanks Steve. I'll try that again. I've already tried setting those
values to zero. I must have gone back into the FF menu in rFactor,
which I think resets the values.

One thing I found is that after setting the throttle and brake effects
to zero, which should move them off the steering axis, when I go into
rFactor they are automatically set back to 1. I'll mess around with it
some more.

I wish they'd make a FF settings page in the menu where all those
parameters are adjustable within the sim.

Pat Dotson

Old November 22nd 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Trev B

wrote:

> I wish they'd make a FF settings page in the menu where all those
> parameters are adjustable within the sim.

They have. Change the FF setting from 'Full' down to whatever stops
those vibrations you don't want.

> Steve Blankenship wrote:

oups.com...

Old November 22nd 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

'Low', 'Medium', and 'Full' isn't my idea of full access to FF
parameters. One of those might be suitable, but I'm not sure if they
are optimum. I'm talking about having a page within rFactor that
directly modifies all the various parameters in the controller.ini
file.

Is there any comprehensive guide available that explains the FF

Old November 23rd 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Trev B wrote:
> low, medium, high and full. Go down to high and those vibes (and only
> them) should be turned off. I'm sorry they didn't make it more
> complicated for you!

Thanks Trev. That helped. Although, "High" still has a lot of canned
vibration included. Like Steve said, medium is pretty close to what
I'm looking for. It works pretty well.

Actually, I found the answer to part of my problem in the readme.txt
file that came with the patch. You have to click on the "Race" button
and enter the car from the Force Feedback menu screen to re-initialize
the FF settings. I was going back to the monitor before going on the
track, so I never saw any difference between the various FF settings.

The main problem I still have is the canned rumble strip effects.
Maybe "Low" gets rid of those. I'll try that, and then go to the .INI
file if necessary. It would still be nice to have direct access to
that stuff from within the sim.

Thanks again for the help!

Pat Dotson