help! 1997 Hyundai Accent, gear grinding

Old December 27th 05, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default help! 1997 Hyundai Accent, gear grinding

I just bought a 1997 Hyundai Accent (5 speed/manual trans, 136k miles)
and it's got a few kinks (as I expected, with that many miles). I'd
like to have a better idea of what's going on before heading to the
mechanic, although that's coming up soon.

First, third gear grinds, going in and out. There are some exceptions -
at slower speeds you can ease it into gear, and completely letting off
of the gas seems to make shifting smoother (no tachometer, I'm assuming
this lowers the rpm). This only happens with third gear.

Second, the first time we took the car out and drove it hard, when we
got on the interstate, hitting 55-65 mph, there was a lot of bluish
smoke. Haven't noticed any since that time. Doesn't seem to burn oil,
but we haven't really been driving it enough (have had a spot of bad
weather) to notice a minor oil leak.

Third, after driving for a bit, there is usually a weird smell from the
front/driver's side area of the engine - haven't noticed it anywhere
else but you can't miss it, either, when you step out of the driver's
side. I don't think it smells like oil burning but I could be wrong,
boyfriend thought it smelled like clutch (possibly caused by the
grinding/third gear?).

I've been told that the grinding gear is a sign of bad synchronizing
rings in the transmission - if this is true, is the only option a new
trans or to rebuild?

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old December 27th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

bri j wrote:
> I just bought a 1997 Hyundai Accent (5 speed/manual trans, 136k miles)
> and it's got a few kinks (as I expected, with that many miles). I'd
> like to have a better idea of what's going on before heading to the
> mechanic, although that's coming up soon.
>
> First, third gear grinds, going in and out. There are some exceptions -
> at slower speeds you can ease it into gear, and completely letting off
> of the gas seems to make shifting smoother (no tachometer, I'm assuming
> this lowers the rpm). This only happens with third gear.
>
> Second, the first time we took the car out and drove it hard, when we
> got on the interstate, hitting 55-65 mph, there was a lot of bluish
> smoke. Haven't noticed any since that time. Doesn't seem to burn oil,
> but we haven't really been driving it enough (have had a spot of bad
> weather) to notice a minor oil leak.
>
> Third, after driving for a bit, there is usually a weird smell from the
> front/driver's side area of the engine - haven't noticed it anywhere
> else but you can't miss it, either, when you step out of the driver's
> side. I don't think it smells like oil burning but I could be wrong,
> boyfriend thought it smelled like clutch (possibly caused by the
> grinding/third gear?).
>
> I've been told that the grinding gear is a sign of bad synchronizing
> rings in the transmission - if this is true, is the only option a new
> trans or to rebuild?
>
> Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Could be that the clutch is not releasing completely, causing it to
"fight" the synchros. I'd check the cable or bleed the hydraulics, as
appropriate...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 27th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

bri j wrote:

> Second, the first time we took the car out and drove it hard, when we
> got on the interstate, hitting 55-65 mph, there was a lot of bluish
> smoke. Haven't noticed any since that time.

Just clearing out the cobwebs

> Third, after driving for a bit, there is usually a weird smell from the
> front/driver's side area of the engine - haven't noticed it anywhere
> else but you can't miss it, either, when you step out of the driver's
> side. I don't think it smells like oil burning but I could be wrong,
> boyfriend thought it smelled like clutch (possibly caused by the
> grinding/third gear?).

Perhaps the right front brake?
Drive up to a mechanic, they will be able to tell you what it is
straight away.

Also, try posting in rec.autos.tech, you will get better answers