rasFactor

Old September 5th 05, 10:45 AM
ymenard

>"David G Fisher" > wrote
> The multiplayer is now superb. Just ran the F3 mod and it was smooth as
> silk. Every race I've been so far (and I'm just jumping in servers) has
> been excellent. Contact can made without being knocked into hyperspace
> too.

That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also have
no interest in that.

The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 5th 05, 12:19 PM

reggie white wrote:

> ill be there

I'm with reg on this one.

Old September 5th 05, 12:53 PM
Byron Forbes

"ymenard" > wrote in message
.. .
> >"David G Fisher" > wrote
>> The multiplayer is now superb. Just ran the F3 mod and it was smooth as
>> silk. Every race I've been so far (and I'm just jumping in servers) has
>> been excellent. Contact can made without being knocked into hyperspace
>> too.

> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
> have no interest in that.
>

> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.

You can surely see that actual tracks and series will be coming out of
our arses in no time.

4 days in and we have 1 mod and 1 track - what did we have for GPL (or
anything else for that matter) after 4 days?

Old September 5th 05, 01:11 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:53:50 +1000, "Byron Forbes"
> wrote:

>"ymenard" > wrote in message
. ..
>> >"David G Fisher" > wrote
>>> The multiplayer is now superb. Just ran the F3 mod and it was smooth as
>>> silk. Every race I've been so far (and I'm just jumping in servers) has
>>> been excellent. Contact can made without being knocked into hyperspace
>>> too.

>> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
>> have no interest in that.
>>

>> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
>> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.
>>

> You can surely see that actual tracks and series will be coming out of
>our arses in no time.
>
> 4 days in and we have 1 mod and 1 track - what did we have for GPL (or
>anything else for that matter) after 4 days?

Lack of sleep..... :-/

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 5th 05, 01:15 PM
ZZ Busch

Thoughtlessvacuum wrote:

reggie white wrote:

>> ill be there

I'm with reg on this one.

-------------------------------------

Two reasons to stay away or privately send out the password.

--
Richard "ZZ" Busch

GTRank

Member:
Screamers Racing League
oAo
AoA
MARA GTR
GT Rank +34.560
NGT Rank +37.765
GT Rank Monster +1163.777
GPL Rank + 14.768
MoGPL Rank + 308.654
N2003 Rank -18.8060
----------------
Remember racecar is racecar spelled backward
-----------------

<a
href="http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=0&amp;t=1">Get
Firefox!</a>

Old September 5th 05, 01:49 PM
Steve Whitty

"Remco Moedt" <no@email> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:53:50 +1000, "Byron Forbes"
> > wrote:

>>> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
>>> have no interest in that.
>>>

>>> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
>>> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.
>>>

>> You can surely see that actual tracks and series will be coming out of
>>our arses in no time.
>>
>> 4 days in and we have 1 mod and 1 track - what did we have for GPL (or
>>anything else for that matter) after 4 days?

> Lack of sleep..... :-/
>

> Cheers!
>

> Remco

divorce papers served

cheers
steve

Old September 5th 05, 02:14 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Remco Moedt" <no@email> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:53:50 +1000, "Byron Forbes"
> >
> >"ymenard" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
> >> have no interest in that.

> >> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
> >> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.

> > You can surely see that actual tracks and series will be coming out

of
> >our arses in no time.
> >
> > 4 days in and we have 1 mod and 1 track - what did we have for GPL (or
> >anything else for that matter) after 4 days?

> Lack of sleep..... :-/

Bingo. But then don't all great affairs start that way? ;-)

No big issue with the tracks; as long as they're well-designed they'll make
for good racing. But count me as one of those totally underwhelmed by the
cars rFactor ships with. Guess now we know what Smokin' Bob is smokin'.

But - it has to be said that the platform is certainly a big step forward
for ISI, and with their stance on mods and engine-licensing, it should
provide the basis for some interesting stuff in the next year or so. The
F3's are the first hint of the mod action coming, and GTL should provide the
first proof of the engine-licensing side (even if it doesn't have all the
new bits under the hood). rFactor's not really revolutionary in any way,
and in some areas remains lacking; but some bits are indeed state of the
art. Most importantly, the whole package functions well enough to be a
viable alternative to the other online simracing platforms. That just
couldn't be said of any of its predecessors. Well done ISI.

What with all the recent talk in simracing circles about the role and value
of mods and developers' stances on them, to me rFactor looks like the
perfect test case for that particular business model (cut development costs
by direct distribution and unlicensed content while extending revenues by
engine licensing). Kaemmer & co. look to be at the other end of the
spectrum, so it'll be very interesting to see which plays out to be the
superior way for developers to thrive in this market. Starting to look like
other bits of the entertainment industry in fact - Indies vs. the Studios.
Indies seem to have all the Mo of late. Best to enjoy them while we keep
our popcorn warm for the next blockbuster... ;-)

SB

Old September 5th 05, 02:58 PM
whooo

> reggie white wrote:
>

>>ill be there

> I'm with reg on this one.

you are reg!

<PLONK>
Old September 5th 05, 03:29 PM
ymenard

>"Byron Forbes" > wrote
> "ymenard" > wrote
>> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
>> have no interest in that.
>>
>> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
>> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.
>>

> You can surely see that actual tracks and series will be coming out of
> our arses in no time.

Nobody knows that. There's a few determinated groups, but will they really
do much? Will they move on to something else in 6 months? I say wait and
see how it develops, how the game is supported officially especially. A
patch will be needed, but will they do more than that? Will they build
community tools?

> 4 days in and we have 1 mod and 1 track - what did we have for GPL (or
> anything else for that matter) after 4 days?

We were having too much of a blast racing, you know, on *real* tracks with
*real* cars. Its not even comparable. The fact that you are comparing
rFactor to a sim release SEVEN years ago speaks for itself.

Old September 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Stephen F.

"ymenard" > wrote in message
.. .
> >"David G Fisher" > wrote
>> The multiplayer is now superb. Just ran the F3 mod and it was smooth as
>> silk. Every race I've been so far (and I'm just jumping in servers) has
>> been excellent. Contact can made without being knocked into hyperspace
>> too.

> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
> have no interest in that.
>

> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.

I actually prefer a well-designed fantasy track to some of the crap which is
being passed off as F1 tracks over the last decade. I'm not saying all the
fantasy tracks are great, but there are features in the LFS S2 tracks, for
example, which are really enjoyable. Blind braking points over crests,
blind apexes, diminishing radii. All the nasty stuff which modern F1 has
denied us of.

For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----