Simultaneous Arrivals at Stop Signs - Who goes Foist?? :)

Old July 9th 14, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Simultaneous Arrivals at Stop Signs - Who goes Foist?? :)

In CT, we were taught that the driver at the stopsign to our right has right of way(ROW), if it's too close to call. Otherwise, ROW is who gets there first.

Just trying to bring DRIVING TOPICS back to rec.autos.DRIVING

8)
Old July 9th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 05:49:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> In CT, we were taught that the driver at the stopsign to our right has right of way(ROW), if it's too close to call. Otherwise, ROW is who gets there first.
>

> Just trying to bring DRIVING TOPICS back to rec.autos.DRIVING
>
> 8)

You may have been taught that, but is it the law?
I'll bet that 99% of drivers would agree it is the law.
In Ohio, it is not the law.
The law actually only applies to uncontrolled intersections.
That is, no stop signs, no traffic lights.
It kind of depends on who wants to go where.
Two drivers facing each other, wanting to go straight, just go.
It also depends on the makeup of the roads involved.
If you are on the "main" road, and come to a stop sign at the same time
another driver comes to a stop sign on a "side" street, it may be that you
have the ROW.
And just what the heck does "on the right" mean?

I am stopped at the sign in front of me.
You are to my left stopped at your sign.
So I have the right of way right?

Then we have the idiot drivers out there who insist that this means that
when the right lane ends, they have the ROW.
Not true. When your lane ends, you must give ROW to the other traffic and
enter the other lane safely.

Judge Wapner had a case where some bicyclist insisted he knew the law
inside out and made sure Wapner knew it. Only to come to find out, Wapner
knew the law better.
The idiot was riding his bicyclye along the curb of the street, decided to
squeeze between a parked car and the curb. The door suddenly opens and he
slams into the open door. The guy claimed he had the ROW. Wapner said no.
The guy didn't know the entire law.

I know of a case where a driver was charged with colliding an escorted
funeral procession. He was on a ramp entering the interstate as the
procession was going by. He assumed that because he was on the right, the
others would have to give way.
He found out he was totally wrong.

When I had taken the Ohio driver's license written test, there were three
questions dealing with this situation. They all boiled down to who had the
ROW based upon what the driver was doing.

And now for the ever infamous question.
You approach a four way stop sign controlled intersection.
Coming at you is a fire truck with lights and siren blaring away.
To your right, a police car with lights and sirens blaring away.
To your left, a little old clearly marked US mail truck.
Who has the ROW?
The age old, and wrong, answer is, the mail truck.
As the USPS has researched this question and can not find any law any where
that says this is true.
If I'm the car driver in that situation, I'd let the others figure it out
then wait and take my turn last.
Old July 9th 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

richard wrote: "And just what the heck does "on the right" mean? "

Okay, as from my view behind the wheel, I stop at a stop sign, and another driver stops at the sign at my 3'o clock position, ergo, to the right of my position.

No one here in CT at least makes the distinction between IE state roads 4-way with a secondary, controlled solely by stop signs. Whoever gets there first, on the state or the secondary, goes first.

Looking down on a 4-way intersection, cross-shaped, drivers pull up to and stop at the 6' and 3 o'clock positions simultaneously. If it's too close to call, the driver at 3 o'clock has ROW. If either 6 o'clock or 3 o'clock arrives a discernable amount of time first(at least 2 sec for arguments sake), then it's pretty obvious who has right of way.
Old July 9th 14, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

richard wrote: "- show quoted text -
What if you have drivers at 6 and 9?
Does 6 go first? "

If both drivers aren't certain/too close to call who arrived first, 6 o'clock driver goes first. He is "to the right" of the driver approaching from 9.
Old July 10th 14, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Evan Platt wrote: " would be the person to the right"

^ +1!

Not a difficult concept, folks.
Old July 10th 14, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:15:52 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 14:30:12 -0400, richard >
> wrote:
>
>>What if you have drivers at 6 and 9?
>>Does 6 go first?

> That would be the person to the right.

Dumb**** you are Mr. Matlock.
ROW does not mean who is on the right.

You wish to enter the interstate so you use the entrance ramp.
At a given point, the lane forces you to merge with the traffic.
Do you have the right of way bevause you are on the right?
Please post a link to the law that says you have the right of way,

Somewhere on that ramp is a little trangular shaped sign with red borders.
The word "Yield" appears on that sign.
What does that mean to you?
Old July 11th 14, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

THIS: http://mitkous.files.wordpress.com/2...ur-waystop.png

Is what I'm talking about. Not interstate highways and parkways with cloverleafs & on-ramps.

Now assume one of the two roads crossing in that diagram is a state highway, and the other, a local yokel road. Whether the person 90 degrees to the right of your position is stopped on the state or the local, in the event of a 'tie'(both of you come to a complete stop within one second of each other) that person has ROW, at least in CT.

Again, I can't explain it any clearer.
Old July 12th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
None

> wrote in message
> Now assume one of the two roads crossing in that diagram is a state
> highway, and the other, a local yokel road. Whether the person 90
> degrees to the right of your position is stopped on the state or the
> local, in the event of a 'tie'(both of you come to a complete stop
> within one second of each other) that person has ROW, at least in
> CT.
>

> Again, I can't explain it any clearer.

Where in hell do Connecticut regulations say anything about "come to a
complete stop within one second of each other" besides in your tiny
little drug-addled ****-for-brains?

stop signs bob zee Driving 1 March 10th 07 05:35 AM
engine stalls when I stop at red lights or slow down at stop signs rayyman Dodge 4 May 8th 06 01:41 PM
97 T&C 225000 low oil pressure at stop signs. [email protected] Chrysler 9 December 19th 05 05:03 PM
stop signs Magnulus Driving 12 February 27th 05 07:21 AM
Obsession with STOP signs bat Technology 2 February 21st 05 08:08 PM