I'm back

Old April 1st 14, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
disallow

Default I'm back

Good morning everyone.

After a long hiatus from the Honda family, I am back.

Previously, I have owned:

98 Civic LX Sedan - 350000km
89 Civic LX Sedan - 300000km
08 Civic LX Sedan - 120000km

When I got the new Civic, I didn't need all the advice, nor did I have many experiences to share, as nothing ever went wrong with that car.

About 2 years ago, we decided to sell the 08 civic and get a 'beater'. Any of the beater Accords I wanted (from 98-03, less than 150k kms, in decent shape) were all in the $4-5k range, and that was more than I wanted to spend. So we made the decision go (***GASP***) domestic... Got a 2000 Grand Prix GT Sedan with 100k kms on it, in really great condition. Paid $3k for it back in May 2012.

It has been a good car. I did a couple of maintenance items on it, including plugs, wires, coolant change, thermostat. I put new tires on it. It has been a great car. But I drive 80-120km per day for my work commute (varies depending on errands I need to run) and I've never been able to get better that 13L/100km or 18 US MPG, whereas my 08 civic got somewhere in the neighborhood of the advertised 6L/100km or 39 US MPG. The GP still saved us money overall based on lower insurance and no payment, but I think I can do better on fuel consumption.

Hence the search again for a 98-03 Accord 4 cylinder. We have 3 kids, and although we wouldn't use this car as primary transport, it needed to be able to handle all 3 kids in case we needed it to in a pinch. This eliminates the Civic as a consideration, and was one of our motivators to go to the Grand Prix.

I finally found a decently priced older Accord. A little beat up, but seems to have good bones. No major accidents listed, and a local car. Its a 99 Accord EX, that has 165k kms on it. Picked it up for $2150, with a current safety. Needed tires, but found some used ones for $125 on the local classifieds website.

It definitely needs a tuneup though, and that is the primary purpose of my post today. Fuel economy is not very good. Better than the Grand Prix, mind you, but still hovering around 9L/100km or 26 US MPG. I think it is reasonable to expect this number to be closer to 7-8L/100km or 30-35 US MPG, and I think I can achieve that by performing some tuneup items. Here is the list of items I plan to do:

Spark Plugs - NGK V-Power - Any recommendations or alternates?
Spark Plug Wires - DENSO - From Rock Auto
Distributor Cap - Hitachi
Distributor Rotor - same
Upstream O2 sensor - DENSO - OEM replacement from Rock Auto

Any other items I should consider? Anything to watch for on this Accord? I've never owned one before, but the BIL had an 01 that he claimed to get ridiculous fuel economy with. I have my reservations that I'll ever come close to his claimed fuel economy (he claimed it got better than my 08 civic), and I think my expectations of 7-8L/100km or 30-35 US MPG.

Thanks for reading, and look forward to the replies!