Negotiating multiple Left/Right-Turn lanes.

Old October 24th 13, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Negotiating multiple Left/Right-Turn lanes.

I'm sure there's at least one within ten miles of where most of us RADs live, where two or more left lanes(or right) are reserved for turning actions. Some are lined-mostly short dashes, through the turn, most are not marked.

How exactly does one navigate these without p/o'ing fellow drivers, and how do you handle the occasional "mid-turn-lane-changer"?
Old October 24th 13, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:44:53 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> I'm sure there's at least one within ten miles of where most of us RADs live, where two or more left lanes(or right) are reserved for turning actions. Some are lined-mostly short dashes, through the turn, most are not marked.
> How exactly does one navigate these without p/o'ing fellow drivers, and how do you handle the occasional "mid-turn-lane-changer"?

General rule is turn into the lane that corresponds to the lane you are coming form

"mid-turn-lane-changer" is violating the law - shoot him

Harry K
Old October 24th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:02:43 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:44:53 AM UTC-7, wrote:
>
> > I'm sure there's at least one within ten miles of where most of us RADs live, where two or more left lanes(or right) are reserved for turning actions. Some are lined-mostly short dashes, through the turn, most are not marked.

> > How exactly does one navigate these without p/o'ing fellow drivers, and how do you handle the occasional "mid-turn-lane-changer"?

> General rule is turn into the lane that corresponds to the lane you are coming form
>

> "mid-turn-lane-changer" is violating the law - shoot him
>

> Harry K

______________________

LOL!

Yeah, in most cases around where I live, if there are two turn lanes at an intersection there are two corresponding lanes on the road they turn onto.

If I'm in front in an outside left-turn lane, I'll usually just gun into the left turn to prevent the inside-left-turner from trying to come over(which I've experienced too many times).

Multiple rights(as I posted)? Rarer than hen's teeth at least in my neck.

If I'm a car or two behind the leader in the outside left, I'll usually follow the car in front of me verrrry close - as in, cannot even see his license plate close! - so that the suitcases in the inside-left can't sneak over even if they tried.
Old October 27th 13, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
None

> wrote in message
> I'll usually follow the car in front of me verrrry close - as in,
> cannot even see his license plate close! - so that the suitcases in
> the inside-left can't sneak over even if they tried.

Tailgating dickhead moron.

Old October 29th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/24/2013 04:28 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:02:43 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:44:53 AM UTC-7,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure there's at least one within ten miles of where most of
>>> us RADs live, where two or more left lanes(or right) are reserved
>>> for turning actions. Some are lined-mostly short dashes,
>>> through the turn, most are not marked.

>>> How exactly does one navigate these without p/o'ing fellow
>>> drivers, and how do you handle the occasional
>>> "mid-turn-lane-changer"?

>> General rule is turn into the lane that corresponds to the lane you
>> are coming form
>>

>> "mid-turn-lane-changer" is violating the law - shoot him
>>

>> Harry K

> ______________________
>

> LOL!
>
> Yeah, in most cases around where I live, if there are two turn lanes
> at an intersection there are two corresponding lanes on the road they
> turn onto.
>
> If I'm in front in an outside left-turn lane, I'll usually just gun
> into the left turn to prevent the inside-left-turner from trying to
> come over(which I've experienced too many times).
>
> Multiple rights(as I posted)? Rarer than hen's teeth at least in my
> neck.
>
> If I'm a car or two behind the leader in the outside left, I'll
> usually follow the car in front of me verrrry close - as in, cannot
> even see his license plate close! - so that the suitcases in the
> inside-left can't sneak over even if they tried.

Odd, the usual multiple-left-turn failures that I see (and we have a lot
of double left turn lanes around here, so this is sadly common) are from
a driver in either lane simply turning in too early. Either the guy in
the outside lane will pinch the guy in the inside lane, or the guy in
the inside lane will realize when he's most of the way through his turn
that he needs to slow and turn more sharply or else run wide into the
right lane on the cross street.

The "right way" to do it is to visualize a quarter circle arc from the
lane you're in to the lane you're going to end up in (leftmost lane if
you're in the inside lane, next one to the right for the outside lane)
ending at wherever the "intersection" turns into just plain old "road."
If you draw it out on paper you will see that that means possibly
going perfectly straight across a couple lanes of cross traffic that's
going from your left to right - but try following that line, or if
you're familiar with racing lines and apexes etc. modify it slightly,
just remember that early apexing will kill you not only on the track but
when making slow speed turns on the street. I never pinch the guy in
the inside lane, and (if I do it right) I never have to slow and make a
correction to keep from running wide. I'm on the power and down the
road while the guy that turned in early is behind me And there's
nothing that ****es off the average driver more than seeing the guy
who's apparently driving slowly (but smoothly) somehow magically end up
in front of him!

I tend to just stick with the quarter circle line and stay in the middle
of my imaginary "lane" - using a more racing type line I'd end up going
out-in-out and more often than not another driver's trying to occupy
part of my "lane" anyway so it's not worth the potential risk to get my
exit speed up by some fraction of a MPH.

Now, the question is, how do you convince other people that this is the
right way to do it, even though you know deep down inside that it
actually works and works well? *shrug* set a good example I guess and
drive well consistently. Doesn't really work, but it's the best idea I
have. (oh, and if someone actually *asks* explain it to them, but that
is vanishingly rare.)

When this *doesn't* work is the rare case that the road you're on has
the same number of lanes but is substantially wider than the road you're
turning onto - because the road you're on has a wider median, or has
turn lanes where the road you're turning onto doesn't - in that case you
may have to deviate from the "ideal" line to keep from interfering with
oncoming left turning traffic, turn in a little earlier and make a
shallower turn with a sharper correction at the end.

Then, of course, you have the morons that just turn into the wrong lane
altogether... or the guy RTORing onto a 3+ lane street while you have a
left turn arrow that gets all flustered because he can't figure out that
he needs to stay in the right lane and then change to the left once he's
out of the intersection area, and can't just turn into any damn lane he
wants...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 29th 13, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 10/29/2013 05:32 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Then, of course, you have the morons that just turn into the wrong lane
> altogether... or the guy RTORing onto a 3+ lane street while you have a
> left turn arrow that gets all flustered because he can't figure out that
> he needs to stay in the right lane and then change to the left once he's
> out of the intersection area, and can't just turn into any damn lane he
> wants...

Nasty local one here, and it's an east-facing freeway off-ramp. The
bottom of the off-ramp meets a 4-lane + extra turn lanes street. The
off-ramp has two left-turn lanes, one of which is also a
straight-ahead-and-back-on-the-freeway lane. As you make this left turn
off the freeway you are confronted with two left-turn lanes going right
back onto the freeway in the opposite direction and two lanes heading
north -- straight.

Novices in the offramp left-turn lanes don't have a clue that if they
stay in the same lanes on the north-going street that they will be
getting back on the freeway, so they suddenly have to cross one or more
lanes to do what they want to do. Confusion ensues, especially since
the freeway is 10 lanes wide here plus a metro track in the median and
it's suddenly DARK when you have to make decisions.

And this isn't the dumbest freeway arrangement around here; the one a
mile away (I-210 x San Gabriel/Sierra Madre) is even worse :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"America is at an awkward stage: it is too late to work within the
Old October 29th 13, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:32:13 AM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
> [...]

> is vanishingly rare.)
>

> When this *doesn't* work is the rare case that the road you're on has
>
> the same number of lanes but is substantially wider than the road you're
>
> turning onto - because the road you're on has a wider median, or has
>
> turn lanes where the road you're turning onto doesn't - in that case you
>
> may have to deviate from the "ideal" line to keep from interfering with
>
> oncoming left turning traffic, turn in a little earlier and make a
>
> shallower turn with a sharper correction at the end.
>

> Then, of course, you have the morons that just turn into the wrong lane
>
> altogether... or the guy RTORing onto a 3+ lane street while you have a
>
> left turn arrow that gets all flustered because he can't figure out that
>
> he needs to stay in the right lane and then change to the left once he's
>
> out of the intersection area, and can't just turn into any damn lane he

So would you suggest Nate that some of the intrusions I've experienced by inner-lefties into my outer left lane might have been unintentional/mistakes?

I could see that, based upon your explanation.

I also thing that BGE mirror settings would be of assistance in such scenarios.