1992 Accord Idling at 7000 RPM

Old September 25th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Scott Nation

Default 1992 Accord Idling at 7000 RPM

A friend’s 1992 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) started idling at full throttle, 7000 RPM. I didn’t find any reference to this problem on the Internet so I thought I’d share what I found.
I started looking for broken vacuum hoses, a stuck accelerator cable, or anything easily visible, but found nothing out of the ordinary. So I took the top off the fast idle valve and it was full of pink shredded paper. I unscrewed the white plastic ring from the valve, lifted it and the valve out, and cleaned the paper out of it. Then I removed the large (4 or 5 inch diameter) air hose that's between the air filter and the engine. It was also full of shredded paper. I cleaned it, and got the paper out of the throttle valve and surrounding areas. Then I took the top off the air filter and it was half chewed up. I took the filter out and found a mouse nest under the filter with 3 newborn mice (not alive). I cleaned all that up, put in a new air filter, and it ran normally.
Old September 26th 13, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

On 9/25/2013 8:59 AM, Scott Nation wrote:
> A friend’s 1992 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) started idling at full throttle, 7000 RPM. I didn’t find any reference to this problem on the Internet so I thought I’d share what I found.
> I started looking for broken vacuum hoses, a stuck accelerator cable, or anything easily visible, but found nothing out of the ordinary. So I took the top off the fast idle valve and it was full of pink shredded paper. I unscrewed the white plastic ring from the valve, lifted it and the valve out, and cleaned the paper out of it. Then I removed the large (4 or 5 inch diameter) air hose that's between the air filter and the engine. It was also full of shredded paper. I cleaned it, and got the paper out of the throttle valve and surrounding areas. Then I took the top off the air filter and it was half chewed up. I took the filter out and found a mouse nest under the filter with 3 newborn mice (not alive). I cleaned all that up, put in a new air filter, and it ran normally.

This is a major reason I am using K&N air filters on my vehicles. The
filter paper media is enclosed in a fine steel mesh, which helps to
thwart the little buggers from tearing it up. They still occasionally
get inside the heating ducts, but not in the engine.

dan

1992 Accord idle problem Todd Honda 10 August 2nd 14 05:05 PM
1992 Isuzu Pu'p High Idling Ray[_11_] Technology 2 December 6th 07 03:19 AM
Idling problems with Honda Accord (99) [email protected] Honda 4 May 24th 07 03:56 PM
sealing oil pan 1992 honda accord [email protected] Honda 2 August 13th 06 11:33 PM
1992 Accord Shudders--DTC dropsentra Honda 0 June 9th 06 07:32 PM