how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve with theintake manifold on?

Old April 8th 11, 02:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BSAKing

Default how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve with theintake manifold on?

I aplogoze in advance because this is probably a dumb question, but I
cannot find the answer to it.

I had a heck of a noise going on in my 350 V8 chevy engine. I checked
it out and one of the rocker arms was quite loose.

I am reading up on how to set the clearance on the lifters. I snag #1
cyl and get it at TDC using the marks on the flywheel. I can tell the
cyl # by the stamp on the engine block. Then I can set certain exhaust
and intakes to proper clearance. No problem since all the cylinder
numbers are marked on the head.

1. BUT how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve
with the intake manifold on? Been looking in the book and I see no
info on that.

Then I move and set it for #6 cyl and then do the rest of the rocker
settings.

2. Been wondering how come that rocker was so loose. As I understand
it, the hydraulic lifter is just an oil filled damper chamber to take
up erratic slackness within fine limits. If it was stuck it would make
a clicking noise, but would not be THAT loose? Or do I misunderstand?
Old April 8th 11, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BSAKing

On Apr 7, 9:24*pm, BSAKing > wrote:
> I aplogoze in advance because this is probably a dumb question, but I
> cannot find the answer to it.
>
> I had a heck of a noise going on in my 350 V8 chevy engine. I checked
> it out and one of the rocker arms was quite loose.
>
> I am reading up on how to set the clearance on the lifters. I snag #1
> cyl and get it at TDC using the marks on the flywheel. I can tell the
> cyl # by the stamp on the engine block. Then I can set certain exhaust
> and intakes to proper clearance. No problem since all the cylinder
> numbers are marked on the head.
>
> 1. BUT how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve
> with the intake manifold on? Been looking in the book and I see no
> info on that.
>
> Then I move and set it for #6 cyl and then do the rest of the rocker
> settings.
>
> 2. Been wondering how come that rocker was so loose. As I understand
> it, the hydraulic lifter is just an oil filled damper chamber to take
> up erratic slackness within fine limits. If it was stuck it would make
> a clicking noise, but would not be THAT loose? Or do I misunderstand?

PS> I checked and the pushrod and the rocker itself
seem just fine and oil comes out exactly as it should.
Old April 8th 11, 03:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PDDeen

On Apr 7, 6:24*pm, BSAKing > wrote:
> I aplogoze in advance because this is probably a dumb question, but I
> cannot find the answer to it.
>
> I had a heck of a noise going on in my 350 V8 chevy engine. I checked
> it out and one of the rocker arms was quite loose.
>
> I am reading up on how to set the clearance on the lifters. I snag #1
> cyl and get it at TDC using the marks on the flywheel. I can tell the
> cyl # by the stamp on the engine block. Then I can set certain exhaust
> and intakes to proper clearance. No problem since all the cylinder
> numbers are marked on the head.
>
> 1. BUT how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve
> with the intake manifold on? Been looking in the book and I see no
> info on that.
>
> Then I move and set it for #6 cyl and then do the rest of the rocker
> settings.
>
> 2. Been wondering how come that rocker was so loose. As I understand
> it, the hydraulic lifter is just an oil filled damper chamber to take
> up erratic slackness within fine limits. If it was stuck it would make
> a clicking noise, but would not be THAT loose? Or do I misunderstand?

Starting on the left No. 1 valve is exhaust, 2&3 are intake 4 & 5 are
exhaust, 6 & 7 are intake and 8 is exhaust. It has been a while but I
used the "add to 9 method" meaning when #1 is fully open adjust #8,
when #2 is open adjust #7, etc.

Good luck
PDDeen

PDDeen
Old April 9th 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I[_2_]

On 4/7/2011 20:24, BSAKing wrote:
> I aplogoze in advance because this is probably a dumb question, but I
> cannot find the answer to it.
>
> I had a heck of a noise going on in my 350 V8 chevy engine. I checked
> it out and one of the rocker arms was quite loose.
>
> I am reading up on how to set the clearance on the lifters. I snag #1
> cyl and get it at TDC using the marks on the flywheel. I can tell the
> cyl # by the stamp on the engine block. Then I can set certain exhaust
> and intakes to proper clearance. No problem since all the cylinder
> numbers are marked on the head.
>
> 1. BUT how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve
> with the intake manifold on? Been looking in the book and I see no
> info on that.

Look at the runners on the intake manifold.
Old April 14th 11, 07:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BSAKing

On Apr 9, 2:43*pm, Bob I > wrote:
> On 4/7/2011 20:24, BSAKing wrote:
>

> > I aplogoze in advance because this is probably a dumb question, but I
> > cannot find the answer to it.

> > I had a heck of a noise going on in my 350 V8 chevy engine. I checked
> > it out and one of the rocker arms was quite loose.

> > I am reading up on how to set the clearance on the lifters. I snag #1
> > cyl and get it at TDC using the marks on the flywheel. I can tell the
> > cyl # by the stamp on the engine block. Then I can set certain exhaust
> > and intakes to proper clearance. No problem since all the cylinder
> > numbers are marked on the head.

> > 1. BUT how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve
> > with the intake manifold on? Been looking in the book and I see no
> > info on that.

> Look at the runners on the intake manifold.

An update: I had the valve covers off and the #3 from the back on the
passenger side on the 350 V8 chevy block was loose as all get out. I
could adjust it down a bit and it helped remove some slap, but some
noise is still there. I noticed that I do not think the valve and
spring assembly seem to travel quite as much as the others when
running. The vehicle does not seem to run poorly though.

Does this sound symptomatic of a collapsed hydraulic lifter?

The car is garaged up here in Canada during the winter, run
infrequently over that time period, and the engine is all original, so
I am thinking this is (hopefully) the cause and replacing the
lifter(s) would fix the problem. I change the oil myself and I have
not noticed any filings or debris in it, so I am hoping that this does
not mean there is a cam lobe badly worn.

Does this sound likely or am I just being hopeful?
Old April 15th 11, 12:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I[_2_]

On 4/14/2011 13:27, BSAKing wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2:43 pm, Bob > wrote:
>> On 4/7/2011 20:24, BSAKing wrote:
>>

>>> I aplogoze in advance because this is probably a dumb question, but I
>>> cannot find the answer to it.

>>> I had a heck of a noise going on in my 350 V8 chevy engine. I checked
>>> it out and one of the rocker arms was quite loose.

>>> I am reading up on how to set the clearance on the lifters. I snag #1
>>> cyl and get it at TDC using the marks on the flywheel. I can tell the
>>> cyl # by the stamp on the engine block. Then I can set certain exhaust
>>> and intakes to proper clearance. No problem since all the cylinder
>>> numbers are marked on the head.

>>> 1. BUT how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve
>>> with the intake manifold on? Been looking in the book and I see no
>>> info on that.

>> Look at the runners on the intake manifold.

> An update: I had the valve covers off and the #3 from the back on the
> passenger side on the 350 V8 chevy block was loose as all get out. I
> could adjust it down a bit and it helped remove some slap, but some
> noise is still there. I noticed that I do not think the valve and
> spring assembly seem to travel quite as much as the others when
> running. The vehicle does not seem to run poorly though.
>
> Does this sound symptomatic of a collapsed hydraulic lifter?
>
> The car is garaged up here in Canada during the winter, run
> infrequently over that time period, and the engine is all original, so
> I am thinking this is (hopefully) the cause and replacing the
> lifter(s) would fix the problem. I change the oil myself and I have
> not noticed any filings or debris in it, so I am hoping that this does
> not mean there is a cam lobe badly worn.
>
> Does this sound likely or am I just being hopeful?

I suppose it's possible the stud is pulling out too.
Old April 15th 11, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Bob I" > wrote in message

> On 4/14/2011 13:27, BSAKing wrote:

>>> Look at the runners on the intake manifold.

>> An update: I had the valve covers off and the #3 from the back on
>> the
>> passenger side on the 350 V8 chevy block was loose as all get out.
>> could adjust it down a bit and it helped remove some slap, but some
>> noise is still there. I noticed that I do not think the valve and
>> spring assembly seem to travel quite as much as the others when
>> running. The vehicle does not seem to run poorly though.
>>
>> Does this sound symptomatic of a collapsed hydraulic lifter?
>>
>> The car is garaged up here in Canada during the winter, run
>> infrequently over that time period, and the engine is all original,
>> so
>> I am thinking this is (hopefully) the cause and replacing the
>> lifter(s) would fix the problem. I change the oil myself and I have
>> not noticed any filings or debris in it, so I am hoping that this
>> does
>> not mean there is a cam lobe badly worn.
>>
>> Does this sound likely or am I just being hopeful?

> I suppose it's possible the stud is pulling out too.

About that time Chevrolet had a hot spot in the center of the valve
train due to engine temperature increase. It crystallized the oil and
ground the cam lobes down. Cure was a new cam and lifters. Had to
replace both on my '74 and '78 at about 70K.

Old May 26th 11, 10:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BSAKing