Flexible steering coupler in a '76

Old April 7th 11, 01:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Default Flexible steering coupler in a '76

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "BSAKing" > wrote in message
> Snip
>>PS. I have had this thing since Jan of 1977 when I drove it new off
>>the lot. Who ever would have thought I'd still have it? Say what you
>>will about Corvettes, for me - everyone should have the luck I have
>>had with this car over the years. Whenever anyone starts to poo-poo
>>them - I tell them to go buy one, take the roof out, and go for a
>>several thousand mile trip somewhere in the summer and come back and
>>tell me all about it......

> There is one part that I'm unsure about and that is how the forward part
> of the coupling comes off the gear box. Everything in my assembly manual
> show it as part of the gear box. Since I had the '72 out this week and it
> has let go somewhere in the tach drive I'll take a look at it while
> working on it and let you know if I can be any better help. As I see it
> right now that part should not have to be removed from the gear box to
> replace the rag joint.
>
> The first car I owned by myself, (3 of us owned the first car I drove) was
> a '50 Chevy, It is now getting close to repaint to return it to the road.
> Complete chassy is done, including the engine but it then lost a bearing
> in first gear. Purchased in March 1956 I'd love to put an LSX in it but
> love the old 3 on the tree with the stove bolt six. Odometer has been over
> twice and I still have a problem with the state stating the mileage as
> unknown on the new title when I moved out of state.

NEVER replace that trans and 6 cyl. I would love to find some old Chevys in
that shape. They have all been hotrodded with a 350. Boring...

My 84 year old father has a 55 chevy truck with three on the tree and that
6. He no longer drives it but it sits in his driveway.

He really did drive a 55 truck back in 55 with the 265 V-8 and auto trans.
No way would you be able to find that now. Hense, his midyear crisis
vehicle being the 6 cyl 55 truck he got about 15 years ago.

Vito

Old April 7th 11, 05:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"uncle_vito" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .

Snip
>> The first car I owned by myself, (3 of us owned the first car I
>> drove) was a '50 Chevy, It is now getting close to repaint to
>> return it to the road. Complete chassy is done, including the
>> engine but it then lost a bearing in first gear. Purchased in March
>> 1956 I'd love to put an LSX in it but love the old 3 on the tree
>> with the stove bolt six. Odometer has been over twice and I still
>> have a problem with the state stating the mileage as unknown on the
>> new title when I moved out of state.

> NEVER replace that trans and 6 cyl. I would love to find some old
> Chevys in that shape. They have all been hotrodded with a 350.
> Boring...
>
> My 84 year old father has a 55 chevy truck with three on the tree
> and that 6. He no longer drives it but it sits in his driveway.
>
> He really did drive a 55 truck back in 55 with the 265 V-8 and auto
> trans. No way would you be able to find that now. Hense, his
> midyear crisis vehicle being the 6 cyl 55 truck he got about 15
> years ago.
>
> Vito

Are you kidding, have you any idea what I went through to find someone
to pour new bearing in that thing? There are some cars I would put an
LS engine in but not this one, it would be nice but no way. Had one
265 and that was enough, couldn't keep the mains in it. Of all GMs
engines I loved the 283 but the LS will take a back seat to no engine.

325 iX viscous coupler? Stupendous Man BMW 5 January 21st 08 04:00 PM
Is Acura lease flexible? erdos Honda 4 May 4th 07 02:15 AM
flexible exhaust pipe. mitzi Technology 0 March 25th 06 11:33 AM
flexible fuel? Ken Weitzel Chrysler 40 November 4th 05 10:07 PM
Flexible Fuel Vehicles John Riggs Ford Explorer 4 April 15th 05 12:59 AM