F1 2010 50% off this weekend at Steam

Old March 25th 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

Default F1 2010 50% off this weekend at Steam

This is weird! I was just reading a review of my soundcard in the
latest PC Gamer and it mentioned how great F1 2010 sounds with it. So,
I go searching for it at Amazon (not sold directly by them and a
little pricey for an oldish game), nothing at GoGamer, nothing in
Google. So I thought I'd check Steam. And the third (?) game came up
was F1 2010 50% off weekend special for $20.

I am downloading it now. I will dust off my old Logitech wheel for
this one.

Weird. I just scanned my PC for tracking cookies and there weren't
any. Hmmmm...

-pw
Old March 25th 11, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:56:12 -0600, PW
> wrote:

>This is weird! I was just reading a review of my soundcard in the
>latest PC Gamer and it mentioned how great F1 2010 sounds with it. So,
>I go searching for it at Amazon (not sold directly by them and a
>little pricey for an oldish game), nothing at GoGamer, nothing in
>Google. So I thought I'd check Steam. And the third (?) game came up
>was F1 2010 50% off weekend special for $20.
>
>I am downloading it now. I will dust off my old Logitech wheel for
>this one.
>
>Weird. I just scanned my PC for tracking cookies and there weren't
>any. Hmmmm...
>
>-pw

Why are the STEAM servers so darn slow? Ridiculous! I feel like I am
using a 24K modem!
Old March 25th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:25:27 -0600, PW
> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:56:12 -0600, PW
> wrote:
>
>>This is weird! I was just reading a review of my soundcard in the
>>latest PC Gamer and it mentioned how great F1 2010 sounds with it. So,
>>I go searching for it at Amazon (not sold directly by them and a
>>little pricey for an oldish game), nothing at GoGamer, nothing in
>>Google. So I thought I'd check Steam. And the third (?) game came up
>>was F1 2010 50% off weekend special for $20.
>>
>>I am downloading it now. I will dust off my old Logitech wheel for
>>this one.
>>
>>Weird. I just scanned my PC for tracking cookies and there weren't
>>any. Hmmmm...
>>
>>-pw

>Why are the STEAM servers so darn slow? Ridiculous! I feel like I am
>using a 24K modem!

I read the size of the download incorrectly. Oops.
Old March 29th 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

>>Why are the STEAM servers so darn slow? Ridiculous! I feel like I am
>>using a 24K modem!

> I read the size of the download incorrectly. Oops.

24k Modem... nice. I used to dream of owning one of those back in the
day. ;-)

Uwe
Old April 3rd 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

Waste of my time and money. What BS this game is! It is so
mainstream and Hollywood that I didn't have the patience to even start
a race.

Pick a name and all that other crap.

$20 down the drain. I won't even think about continuing. As bad as
NFS, Test Drive Unlimited,....

Garbage. I just want to race.
Old April 4th 11, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(PW) wrote:

> Me too. You first!

:-) No, I just "wasted" £30 on an unfinished version of Cliffs of Dover. My
charitable instincts have been drained for now.

I think if we wait another couple of weeks the dust may have settled and there
might be some agreement on the right mods to make. I hate messing about with mods
because you keep having to relearn things or decide which one you prefer. That's
why I stuck to the original code with Shift1. I did enjoy Shift1 a lot at times
(mainly when blasting round the Ring with the back end hanging out!) but I'm in no
hurry to buy more of the same kind of sloppy performances, even though I always got
the feeling there was a sim in there trying to break out.

Of course the mod I want most is the one which strips out all the crappy gantries
and junk cluttering up the tracks. I can't understand why that stuff exists...
though, thinking about it, the density of roadside obstacles must be a big part of
why Shift does a great job of conveying a real sense of speed.

That's definitely one of Shift1's strengths, and when I see some of the videos for
2 it's the sheer, immersive, sense of speed which tends to grab my attention and
trigger the buying itch.

Mmmm... <opens up Steam>

<hesitates>

<hesitates some more>

<plays Plants v Zombies>

Andrew McP

Old April 5th 11, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 04:56 +0100 (BST),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

(PW) wrote:

>> Me too. You first!

>:-) No, I just "wasted" £30 on an unfinished version of Cliffs of Dover. My
>charitable instincts have been drained for now.
>
>I think if we wait another couple of weeks the dust may have settled and there
>might be some agreement on the right mods to make. I hate messing about with mods
>because you keep having to relearn things or decide which one you prefer. That's
>why I stuck to the original code with Shift1. I did enjoy Shift1 a lot at times
>(mainly when blasting round the Ring with the back end hanging out!) but I'm in no
>hurry to buy more of the same kind of sloppy performances, even though I always got
>the feeling there was a sim in there trying to break out.
>
>Of course the mod I want most is the one which strips out all the crappy gantries
>and junk cluttering up the tracks. I can't understand why that stuff exists...
>though, thinking about it, the density of roadside obstacles must be a big part of
>why Shift does a great job of conveying a real sense of speed.
>
>That's definitely one of Shift1's strengths, and when I see some of the videos for
>2 it's the sheer, immersive, sense of speed which tends to grab my attention and
>trigger the buying itch.
>
>Mmmm... <opens up Steam>
>
><hesitates>
>
><hesitates some more>
>
><plays Plants v Zombies>
>
>Andrew McP

Hah! I loved that game. I finished it. I also have it on my iPod
Touch. One of the most addicting games I've played in a long time.

However, I never could figure out if there was any strategy to Peggle.

Thanks for saving me 50 bucks on Cliffs' of Dover. Maybe I will get
Rise of Flight instead. I love the IL-2 stuff though.

-paulw