'95 Accord Headlight Question

Old October 26th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Ron

Default '95 Accord Headlight Question

A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?

http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg Drivers Side
http://i53.tinypic.com/729fro.jpg Passenger Side
Old October 27th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Ron > wrote in news:e92d3bc4-e311-4c70-a2c4-2249d30c9117
@u10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
> out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
> the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
> screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
> just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?
>
> http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg Drivers Side
> http://i53.tinypic.com/729fro.jpg Passenger Side

Any signs of somebody having whacked your bumper really good?

Has the car ever had bodywork done? I notice the bumper's driver-side is
significantly rearwards of the grille compared to the passenger-side, which
is consistent with the Accord having once rear-ended something.

Can you easily wiggle the headlight up and down with your hand?

--
Tegger
Old October 27th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Al[_13_]

On 10/26/2010 7:57 PM, Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in news:e92d3bc4-e311-4c70-a2c4-2249d30c9117
> @u10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:
>
>> A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
>> out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
>> the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
>> screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
>> just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?
>>
>> http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg Drivers Side
>> http://i53.tinypic.com/729fro.jpg Passenger Side
>>

> Any signs of somebody having whacked your bumper really good?
>
> Has the car ever had bodywork done? I notice the bumper's driver-side is
> significantly rearwards of the grille compared to the passenger-side, which
> is consistent with the Accord having once rear-ended something.
>
> Can you easily wiggle the headlight up and down with your hand?

And also, does the light seem to be properly aimed?
Old October 27th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Ron

On Oct 26, 7:57*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> Ron > wrote in news:e92d3bc4-e311-4c70-a2c4-2249d30c9117
> @u10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:
>
> > A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
> > out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
> > the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
> > screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
> > just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?

> >http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg*Drivers Side
> >http://i53.tinypic.com/729fro.jpg*Passenger Side

> Any signs of somebody having whacked your bumper really good?
>
> Has the car ever had bodywork done? I notice the bumper's driver-side is
> significantly rearwards of the grille compared to the passenger-side, which
> is consistent with the Accord having once rear-ended something.
>
> Can you easily wiggle the headlight up and down with your hand?

The car was wrecked YEARS ago back in the 90's, so no issue there.

The bumper is aligned perfectly. Just the camera angle you are
seeing.

No one has hit the car, so no issue there.

The headlight isn't loose. I can push it back into place but it's
spring loaded and it just pops back out.

As you can see in these pics.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2vtuv6r.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/5ytikz.jpg

Old October 27th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Ron

On Oct 26, 8:23*pm, Al > wrote:
> On 10/26/2010 7:57 PM, Tegger wrote:
>

> > > *wrote in news:e92d3bc4-e311-4c70-a2c4-2249d30c9117
> > @u10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> >> A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
> >> out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
> >> the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
> >> screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
> >> just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?

> >>http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg*Drivers Side
> >>http://i53.tinypic.com/729fro.jpg*Passenger Side

> > Any signs of somebody having whacked your bumper really good?

> > Has the car ever had bodywork done? I notice the bumper's driver-side is
> > significantly rearwards of the grille compared to the passenger-side, which
> > is consistent with the Accord having once rear-ended something.

> > Can you easily wiggle the headlight up and down with your hand?

> And also, does the light seem to be properly aimed?

Yeah, it's now aimed to the left.....lol
Old October 28th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Ron

On Oct 26, 1:05*pm, Ron > wrote:
> A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
> out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
> the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
> screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
> just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?
>
> http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg*Drivers Sidehttp://i53.tinypic.com/729fro.jpg*Passenger Side

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, anyone?
Old November 3rd 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Ron > wrote in news:e0f176b7-45b7-4770-9bbb-4c43c6a948d6
@t13g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

> On Oct 26, 1:05*pm, Ron > wrote:
>> A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
>> out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
>> the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
>> screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
>> just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?
>>
>> http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg*Drivers Sidehttp://i53.tinypic.com/7

> 29fro.jpg*Passenger Side
>
> Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, anyone?

It's hard to see, but the adjusters are at the rear of the headlamp's
mounting bracket, which is bolts to the rad support. the holes for the
adjusting screwdriver are in the top of the rad support. If you peer into
them with a flashlight, you'll see their little gears.

The two adjusters have long screws that attach to swivels on the
reflector's plastic body. If the swivel breaks, the headlamp will come
forward, as that's all that's keeping it in place.
This is why I originally asked if the car had been smacked; that's
generally how they break. They may not "let go" right away, but may take a
while to crack free completely.

Personally, when I ask questions and receive no answer, I just tear into
the job anyway, figuring that if nobody knows the answer, I'd better find
out for myself. If in serious doubt, I'll spend the $10 to get the
information I need from https://techinfo.honda.com

I originally delayed answering because I wanted to take a look at a spare
headlamp I've got in the shed, but then I forgot about it.

--
Tegger
Old November 3rd 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Ron

On Nov 3, 9:12*am, Tegger > wrote:
> Ron > wrote in news:e0f176b7-45b7-4770-9bbb-4c43c6a948d6
> @t13g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Oct 26, 1:05*pm, Ron > wrote:
> >> A few days ago I notched that the drivers side headlight has popped
> >> out about an inch. I see no way to adjust this. These is a spring on
> >> the lower inside part of the headlight but, I don't see an adjustment
> >> screw. Even if there is an adjustment screw how in the hell could it
> >> just all of a sudden pop out an inch? Did something break?

> >>http://i54.tinypic.com/30j0g8x.jpg*Drivers Sidehttp://i53.tinypic.com/7

> > 29fro.jpg*Passenger Side

> > Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, anyone?

> It's hard to see, but the adjusters are at the rear of the headlamp's
> mounting bracket, which is bolts to the rad support. the holes for the
> adjusting screwdriver are in the top of the rad support. If you peer into
> them with a flashlight, you'll see their little gears.
>
> The two adjusters have long screws that attach to swivels on the
> reflector's plastic body. If the swivel breaks, the headlamp will come
> forward, as that's all that's keeping it in place.
> This is why I originally asked if the car had been smacked; that's
> generally how they break. They may not "let go" right away, but may take a
> while to crack free completely.
>
> Personally, when I ask questions and receive no answer, I just tear into
> the job anyway, figuring that if nobody knows the answer, I'd better find
> out for myself. If in serious doubt, I'll spend the $10 to get the
> information I need fromhttps://techinfo.honda.com
>
> I originally delayed answering because I wanted to take a look at a spare
> headlamp I've got in the shed, but then I forgot about it.
>
> --
> Tegger

OK, then from my post in the other thread it looks like we are in
agreement that something broke.

Those damn housings aren't cheap, even on e-Bay.
Old November 3rd 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Ron > wrote in
:

> On Nov 3, 9:12*am, Tegger invalid @ example.com wrote:

>> I originally delayed answering because I wanted to take a look at a
>> spare headlamp I've got in the shed, but then I forgot about it.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger

> OK, then from my post in the other thread it looks like we are in
> agreement that something broke.
>
> Those damn housings aren't cheap, even on e-Bay.

Don't even consider eBay. Visit your local wrecking yard. If it's the right
kind of yard, they'll have quite a few of them available for relatively
little money.

--
Tegger