Storing a 2008 for 6 months in garage over Canadian winter...what to do?

Old September 14th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TightFit

Default Storing a 2008 for 6 months in garage over Canadian winter...what to do?

I have a 2008 Fit with about 12,000 km on it, and I am storing it in
my heated garage for 6 months over a cold, Canadian winter, I have
been reading some posts on this group about what to do when storing
Hondas, but would like some updated hints. Some have suggested
disconnecting the negative wire from the battery, taking the wheels
off, using a gas stabilizer, leaving the windows open, leaving them
closed, etc. I purchased an 'intelligent' battery charger which only
delivers a 2A charge to the battery if it needs it....should I use it
to keep the battery up instead of disconnecting it?

Any tips would be really appreciated because I'm not much of a
mechanic and I do love this car.

Arthur
Old September 14th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

TightFit > wrote in news:9820b590-6ac5-4cd9-82a2-
:

> I have a 2008 Fit with about 12,000 km on it, and I am storing it in
> my heated garage for 6 months over a cold, Canadian winter, I have
> been reading some posts on this group about what to do when storing
> Hondas, but would like some updated hints. Some have suggested
> disconnecting the negative wire from the battery, taking the wheels
> off, using a gas stabilizer, leaving the windows open, leaving them
> closed, etc. I purchased an 'intelligent' battery charger which only
> delivers a 2A charge to the battery if it needs it....should I use it
> to keep the battery up instead of disconnecting it?
>
> Any tips would be really appreciated because I'm not much of a
> mechanic and I do love this car.

The trickle-charger is an excellent idea. That way you don't need to
disconnect the battery.

Adding Sta-Bil to the gas is an imperative these days, so you MUST use it.
And use it according to the label on the bottle. Do not add more than
specified because you think "more" must be "better".

Other things you need to do:
1) Change the engine oil.
2) Pump-up the tires to the maximum shown on the sidewall. This will
minimize flat-spotting.
3) Make sure the gas tank is completely full.
4) After changing the oil and adding Sta-Bil, take the car for a half-hour
drive, preferably with some highway involved. This gets the engine good and
hot, plus it helps distribute the Sta-Bil throughout the gas in the tank,
and helps make sure Sta-Bil ends up in the fuel lines and the injectors.
5) Park the car, shut it off for good, and do not drive it any more.

Given that you're working with a car this new, there should be no need to
raise the tires off the ground unless you've noticed a slow leak in any of
the tires. If you suspect the tires may go flat during your absence, place
jack stands under the control arms, NOT under the rocker panels or subframe
rails. You need the suspension to stay under normal compression while the
car is idle.

--
Tegger
Old September 15th 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TightFit

On Sep 14, 6:43*pm, Tegger > wrote:

Many thanks for your excellent info.....much appreciated.

Arthur

Old September 18th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Boomer[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> TightFit > wrote in news:9820b590-6ac5-4cd9-82a2-
> :
>
>> I have a 2008 Fit with about 12,000 km on it, and I am storing it in
>> my heated garage for 6 months over a cold, Canadian winter, I have
>> been reading some posts on this group about what to do when storing
>> Hondas, but would like some updated hints. Some have suggested
>> disconnecting the negative wire from the battery, taking the wheels
>> off, using a gas stabilizer, leaving the windows open, leaving them
>> closed, etc. I purchased an 'intelligent' battery charger which only
>> delivers a 2A charge to the battery if it needs it....should I use it
>> to keep the battery up instead of disconnecting it?
>>
>> Any tips would be really appreciated because I'm not much of a
>> mechanic and I do love this car.

> The trickle-charger is an excellent idea. That way you don't need to
> disconnect the battery.
>
> Adding Sta-Bil to the gas is an imperative these days, so you MUST use it.
> And use it according to the label on the bottle. Do not add more than
> specified because you think "more" must be "better".
>
> Other things you need to do:
> 1) Change the engine oil.
> 2) Pump-up the tires to the maximum shown on the sidewall. This will
> minimize flat-spotting.
> 3) Make sure the gas tank is completely full.
> 4) After changing the oil and adding Sta-Bil, take the car for a half-hour
> drive, preferably with some highway involved. This gets the engine good
> and
> hot, plus it helps distribute the Sta-Bil throughout the gas in the tank,
> and helps make sure Sta-Bil ends up in the fuel lines and the injectors.
> 5) Park the car, shut it off for good, and do not drive it any more.
>
> Given that you're working with a car this new, there should be no need to
> raise the tires off the ground unless you've noticed a slow leak in any of
> the tires. If you suspect the tires may go flat during your absence, place
> jack stands under the control arms, NOT under the rocker panels or
> subframe
> rails. You need the suspension to stay under normal compression while the
> car is idle.
>

> --
> Tegger

I need to warn you against using a trickle charger over many months. Some of
these chargers are made very cheaply and do not know when the battery is
fully charged and then shut off. I know, I ruined a batter by leaving a 1
amp trickle charger on that battery for 6 months. Make sure that whatever
charger you use, that it automatically shuts off when the battery is
charged. Even one amp left on for 6 months will definitely ruin (overcharge)
a battery.

The charger might even be a 12 amp charger. That is what I keep my Ford
charged with over a 6 month winter here in the UP. If you go out to the
garage and look at it, the charger is almost always off. If you watch it
long enough you will see the meter spike upwards for a fraction of a second
and then back to zero charge. That is what it takes to keep a battery
charged without overcharging it.

There is a huge variation in quality and design of chargers. I bought what
was advertised as an automatic charger at Walmart. I hooked it up at home
and found that it would charge up the battery alright, but then it would
shut off and never offer a charge again. The power had to be cycled in order
to make it work again.

Michael

Old October 12th 10, 04:27 AM
winstonterr winstonterr is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
I currently have a one car garage and am interested in converting to a two car garage. I am wondering how much additional space I need for it. I currently have 14 feet on my property line from where the garage ends, is that enough to add the second spot? Thank you!
Old October 12th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Beale

On 10/11/10 11:27 PM, winstonterr wrote:
> Hi,
> I currently have a one car garage and am interested in converting to a
> two car garage. I am wondering how much additional space I need for it.
> I currently have 14 feet on my property line from where the garage ends,
> is that enough to add the second spot? Thank you!

I doubt it. There are usually limits on how close to the property line
you can build. In my town for instance, it's 20 feet.
Old October 25th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TightFit

On Sep 17, 10:00*pm, "Boomer" > wrote:

> There is a huge variation in quality and design of chargers. I bought what
> was advertised as an automatic charger at Walmart. I hooked it up at home
> and found that it would charge up the battery alright, but then it would
> shut off and never offer a charge again. The power had to be cycled in order
> to make it work again.
>
> Michael- >

Yup.......that's what I got. It charges, and then shuts down, giving
me an 'error code'.

I called the manufacturer's customer service. The guy told me
batteries designed for Canada are 'different' and don't work with the
'intelligent' system in their chargers. It will charge and then shut
down and must be recycled periodically. Great...... : /

Old October 30th 10, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
billzz

On Oct 11, 8:27*pm, winstonterr >
wrote:
> Hi,
> I currently have a one car garage and am interested in converting to a
> two car garage. I am wondering how much additional space I need for it.
> I currently have 14 feet on my property line from where the garage ends,
> is that enough to add the second spot? Thank you!
>
> --
> winstonterr

I have designed three houses (Virginia, Texas, and California) and the
last one, in California, included a third garage, for my third sons
car. The bottom line, for me, was that I needed a certified
California registered architect to submit the plans. Even though I
did the work. So that is what you may have to do. Get a local. And
the building department will want a plan and they will quickly tell
you if it does not comply with code.

Storing vehicles for the Winter - Winterize! sandy Technology 3 August 3rd 07 12:59 AM
storeing my 05 gt for the winter any suggestions on storing? stew Ford Mustang 4 October 18th 06 04:02 AM
storing mustang for the winter Robert A. Plourde Jr. Ford Mustang 1 November 28th 05 05:27 PM
storing for winter ksalous BMW 27 December 22nd 04 03:20 AM
Storing the 5.0 for winter sheri Ford Mustang 0 November 25th 04 08:55 PM