Battery Problem

Old August 14th 10, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tinkerer

Default Battery Problem

I have a 2006 diesel CRV CDTI. We left it in the garage for three weeks
with all doors locked and deadlocked via the remote. When we went to use
it the battery was flat although it did unlock OK. The symptoms manifested
themselves in the dash lights flashing like a demented Christmas Tree when
the power was turned on and the usual clicking from the solenoid when
turning the key to the start position. Using jump leads the vehicle
started fine and, after I charged the battery overnight, it has been OK
since.

I do not know what drain is on the battery when the vehicle is locked.
Presumably some usage by the radio (including anti-theft device) and
computer. I do not know whether this model has an alarm fitted. After
the incident I checked thoroughly and nothing had been left switched on.

My question is should the battery have gone flat after the vehicle was
standing locked for three weeks or am I looking at a dying battery. Four
years and 52K miles seems a short life for a battery considering that I have
just replaced the original on my Peugeot 406 after eleven years and 132K
miles.

Any thoughts please?
--
Tinkerer

Old August 15th 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
J.L.Hemmer

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:28:42 +0100, "Tinkerer"
> wrote:

Four
>years and 52K miles seems a short life for a battery considering that I have
>just replaced the original on my Peugeot 406 after eleven years and 132K
>miles.
>
>Any thoughts please?

Four years?! I live in a hot climate. Four years is about the MAX I
expect out of a battery. My wife's '97 Altima (traded in on an 08
Civic) chewed up a battery every 18 months or so. Everything was
checked (many times) and no problems ever found. The only answer was
that the heat and possible added heat from placement in the engine
compartment was the 'killer'.

I generally don't trust batteries after about three years. However,
I'm sure others here will have their own opinions.
Old October 12th 10, 04:29 AM
winstonterr winstonterr is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
If I turn off the engine, the battery dies within 30 minutes. With another jump start, the car starts again.The battery is 3 years old; I'm the original owner and the alternator has never been replaced.What seems to be the problem?

battery problem or alternator problem? [email protected] Technology 9 March 2nd 08 04:37 PM
Please help with battery problem [email protected] Ford Mustang 14 January 25th 07 05:10 PM
Battery problem harrym Chrysler 4 May 9th 05 04:34 PM
Battery Problem D.D. Palmer Ford Explorer 4 May 6th 05 06:29 PM
Problem with battery? js5895 Technology 8 March 9th 05 08:20 AM