cox dropping support of usenet

Old April 20th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

Default cox dropping support of usenet

"Effective June 30, 2010,
Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service to our subscribers."

They're pushing giganews, but I'm guessing google groups will be good
enough.

Any other suggestions?

Old April 20th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Will Bradshaw

rcgldr wrote:
> "Effective June 30, 2010,
> Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service to our subscribers."
>
> They're pushing giganews, but I'm guessing google groups will be good
> enough.
>
> Any other suggestions?

When AT&T dropped their usenet, I went with:

eternal-september.org

Text only, no binaries but it's completely free and I haven't had any
problems with them. Very fast and reliable.

-Will
Old April 20th 10, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 06:53:02 -0500, Will Bradshaw wrote:
> When AT&T dropped their usenet, I went with:
>
> eternal-september.org
>
> Text only, no binaries but it's completely free and I haven't had any
> problems with them. Very fast and reliable.

Same here, happy september customer ;-)

Old April 20th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> eternal-september.org

> Text only, no binaries but it's completely free and I haven't had any problems with them. Very fast and reliable.

I've used alt.games.needforspeed and alt.games.tombraider in the past,
but now with official forums, there's virtually no activity.

It's mostly rec.autos.simulators now, and the activity here is very
low. rFactor lists a bazillion community web sites, so I'm sure I'll
find out about rFactor 2 if and when it's soon to be released.

There isn't much iRanting going on anymore, and the only significant
news from iRacing would be the release of a boxed retail product, which
probably won't happen anytime soon either.

Then again, usenet made more sense back in the uucp days, and with the
advent of bulletin board sites (I still have my compuserve manual),
and later internet based forums, it's seems like a relic from the past.

Out of curiosity, where would one go to find the oldest archives of
usenet posts? Is there the equivalent of a wayback machine for usenet
that goes back to the 1980's?

Old April 20th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> Out of curiosity, where would one go to find the oldest archives of
> usenet posts? Is there the equivalent of a wayback machine for usenet
> that goes back to the 1980's?

It was dejanews, which was later aquired by google, so I assume google
has the archives now (dejanews got it's data from some university).

Old April 21st 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in
:

> "Effective June 30, 2010,
> Cox Communications will discontinue Usenet service to our
> subscribers."
>
> They're pushing giganews, but I'm guessing google groups will be good
> enough.
>
> Any other suggestions?

The following brief list of free text news servers is in alphabetical
order without editorial comment. It's a short list. Check out the
servers and decide for yourself which one is best for you. No one knows
what works for you better than you do.

AIOE http://news.aioe.org/

Albasani http://albasani.net/index.html.en

ETT http://news.ett.com.ua/

Eternal September (Formerly Motzarella)
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Solani http://news.solani.org/

Tornevall http://news.tornevall.net/

Usenet4all http://www.usenet4all.se (blocks all posts from Google)

All servers containing virtually all groups (aside from privately run
ones such as microsoft.* and alt.binaries.*). There *are* some very low
volume binary groups in some of the above servers that may be in
alt.binaries.* as well.

Old April 27th 10, 09:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

YMMV, but I still prefer usenet (where I can choose my own reader
software) to those pesky clickety-click web forums that seem to be all
the rage with the kids these days...

Some forums do support RSS feeds and posting by email, but it's just
not the same speed that slrn provides... *sigh*

All the best, Uwe
Old April 28th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don[_21_]

"Uwe" > wrote in message
> YMMV, but I still prefer usenet (where I can choose my own reader
> software) to those pesky clickety-click web forums that seem to be all
> the rage with the kids these days...
>
> Some forums do support RSS feeds and posting by email, but it's just
> not the same speed that slrn provides... *sigh*
>
> All the best, Uwe

I agree, I much prefer usenet myself but unfortunately it seems to be going
the way of the tiki bird.
I even subscribe to a usenet reader service so I can have access to all the
newsgroups I like to read and participate in, as Comcast dropped them some
time ago.
So many groups that used to be so active " back in the day " see hardly any
activity any more on a daily basis.
Really sad., but that seems to be the trend now.

--
Don

Old April 28th 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(Don) wrote:

> Really sad., but that seems to be the trend now.

I just made a small donation to VirtualR, because I find it a useful place to visit
these days. But this made me think again about how unsustainable most forums really
are, and about how poor I'd be if I made regular donations to all the sites I visit.
Micro-payments might help, spreading the load evenly across the user base, but
micro-payments have been on the agenda for years, with no sign of progress.

Unless run as a vanity project by someone with deep pockets, subsidised by
advertising (increasingly tough in this economic climate), or sponsored by a vested
interest (eg the new RSC) it is very hard to see how forums manage to survive. So
in theory usenet, might eventually see a boost as more and more forums give up. But
somehow I doubt it, because it requires a little effort and there are no kewl
avatars and dancing emoticons.

Sometimes human progress really is backwards, no matter how stupid and inefficient
that might be. Ask the Romans.... and just about every other great civilisation
that's ever temporarily existed in human history.

Perhaps the rise of forum activity is the true sign of the forthcoming Apocalypse,
not volcanos, global debt crisis, or the last episode of Lost. :-)

Andrew McP

Oil pressure dropping to Low (Zero) axel Jeep 7 November 1st 08 02:23 AM
Comcast Dropping Usenet nospam[_2_] Ford Mustang 19 September 25th 08 04:28 PM
A Wee Bit Of Usenet Humour: usenet-server-retention.jpg (1/1) Square Wheels[_10_] Auto Photos 0 April 17th 08 06:42 AM
Dropping MPG [email protected] Jeep 26 October 11th 06 12:15 PM
dropping it in da" weeds charlottes ave Ford Mustang 5 February 7th 05 12:51 AM