Bait Car

Old February 11th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

Default Bait Car

On 2010-02-11, Harry K > wrote:
> On Feb 10, 1:27*pm, Larrybud > wrote:
>> necromancer
>> <Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam _no_way.org>
>> wrote :
>>
>> > I'm watching this show on TruTV called, "Bait Car," where the
>> > LAPD essentially baits car thieves with an expensive car left in
>> > the 'hood, generally with keys in ignition and unlocked. Of
>> > course, the car is equipped to shut off when the cops send the
>> > signal.

>> > What amazes me is just how stupid some people are that they take
>> > the car anyway eventhough anyone with two functional braincells
>> > would see it for the trap that it is.

>> Years ago my sister-in-law left their car in the driveway with the
>> keys in it, unlocked. *It was stolen that night.
>>
>> Don't ever make the assumption that someone isn't stupid enough to do
>> such a thing, and that's what the thiefs are betting on.
>>
>> Not to say the car thiefs are much smarter. *It's a toss up, really.

> Every winter in this area there are announcements on the news that it
> is illegal to start and leave a car running to warm up due to the auto
> theft problem. Every winter there are cars stolen because people do
> it.

It's absurd to make failure to do things that make criminal acts more
difficult a crime. Although government idiots also come up with the
bans on body armor and burgler bars...

What isn't manditory is forbidden or something like that.

Old February 12th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Feb 11, 12:54*am, Harry K > wrote:
> On Feb 10, 1:27*pm, Larrybud > wrote:
>

> > necromancer
> > <Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam _no_way.org>
> > wrote :

> > > I'm watching this show on TruTV called, "Bait Car," where the
> > > LAPD essentially baits car thieves with an expensive car left in
> > > the 'hood, generally with keys in ignition and unlocked. Of
> > > course, the car is equipped to shut off when the cops send the
> > > signal.

> > > What amazes me is just how stupid some people are that they take
> > > the car anyway eventhough anyone with two functional braincells
> > > would see it for the trap that it is.

> > Years ago my sister-in-law left their car in the driveway with the
> > keys in it, unlocked. *It was stolen that night.

> > Don't ever make the assumption that someone isn't stupid enough to do
> > such a thing, and that's what the thiefs are betting on.

> > Not to say the car thiefs are much smarter. *It's a toss up, really.

> Every winter in this area there are announcements on the news that it
> is illegal to start and leave a car running to warm up due to the auto
> theft problem. *Every winter there are cars stolen because people do
> it.

If you don't have keyless entry, just carry two copies of your car's
key with you. That way you can detach one from your key ring and lock
the door while the engine's running. I often do this if I decide that
I need my morning coffee before I get to work, and stop at a 7-11 or
something before the car's fully warm.

Of course this only works if you have an automatic transmission or a
good parking brake, but your parking brake is always kept in good
order, yes?

nate

Bait & switch at Vee Dub parts Unlimited A Veteran VW air cooled 8 December 27th 07 05:11 AM
Autozone- illegal bait & switch advertising? j Technology 13 September 8th 06 09:31 PM
bait & switch ad in Hot VW A Veteran for Peace VW air cooled 5 August 24th 06 04:00 AM
bait cars Arif Khokar Driving 0 April 27th 06 06:39 AM
Bait and Switch on Trade-in Estimate Payoffs Jesse General 0 March 9th 04 08:59 PM