4 post lifts

Old November 18th 09, 03:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JustTom

Default 4 post lifts

I'm looking to create additional floor space in my garage with a 4
post lift (or something else if anyone has a better idea).

I've sent away for info from Dannmar.

http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...ost-lifts.html

When I sent away, I didn't realize that they were sold at costco and
northern, so now I'm wondering a bit about the quality.

When looking at a lift to permanently park one of my expensive
belongings on top of another of my expensive belongings (not to
mention my own head), cost isn't a the top of the list, so I'm
wondering if anyone has one of these and their impression of the
quality and safety aspects, and if anyone has suggestions or
preferences for another manufacturer?

What should I be looking for?

thanks,
tom
Old November 18th 09, 05:23 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"JustTom" > wrote in message
> I'm looking to create additional floor space in my garage with a 4
> post lift (or something else if anyone has a better idea).
>
> I've sent away for info from Dannmar.
>
> http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...ost-lifts.html
>
> When I sent away, I didn't realize that they were sold at costco and
> northern, so now I'm wondering a bit about the quality.
>
> When looking at a lift to permanently park one of my expensive
> belongings on top of another of my expensive belongings (not to
> mention my own head), cost isn't a the top of the list, so I'm
> wondering if anyone has one of these and their impression of the
> quality and safety aspects, and if anyone has suggestions or
> preferences for another manufacturer?
>
> What should I be looking for?
>
> thanks,
> tom

I'm normally working alone in the shop and the lift has become
invaluable. First off I'm not under a vehicle that is on a jack, or
jack stands but it is in the air high enough to work with ease. Any
tool is as safe as its user so be careful and use it safely. It, (they
are), is built to do the job without a lawsuit.

Here's what I would have done differently if I were buying today. I
would buy from
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...p-xl-8k-ds.htm
because I know his company and he normally has the best price and he
is in the automobile service tool business.

The new lift would have the full floor (or at least 1/2), no drip
pans, or dollies, a jacking tray (bridge) and aluminum ramps.

My reasons are I don't move it so why have the dollys? You're going to
lift the ramps more than you expect so get the lighter ramps.

With the floor I can put my mower and lawn tractor on it and keep my
cars on the ground except right now and for the last few months the
'72 has been up there. It will make a place for your ramps so they
aren't sticking out for you to bump into with your head. It keeps them
off the floor where you can trip over them. Although I welded the
corners and a drain plug in one floor unit to use as a drain I've
never used that feature.

I use the jacking bridge to set my drain pan on while I drain the oil,
seldom use it to jack anything.

Most likely you'll get the plastic drain pans and I do use them when I
put a car under another one.

Unloading it is an effort, I used a large backhoe and it was all it
could do to pick it up out of the semi.

After 10 years of using it I took it apart this summer and checked all
cables, pulleys, and their shafts for wear and lubricated them and put
it back together. It showed no signs of wear and gave me peace of mind
for the next 10 years. One of the pulleys had a slight misalignment
and raised a sharp edge that I removed but that is all I could find
after many lifts.

Good luck.

Old November 18th 09, 08:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JustTom

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:23:04 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>I'm normally working alone in the shop and the lift has become
>invaluable. First off I'm not under a vehicle that is on a jack, or
>jack stands but it is in the air high enough to work with ease. Any
>tool is as safe as its user so be careful and use it safely. It, (they
>are), is built to do the job without a lawsuit.
>
>Here's what I would have done differently if I were buying today. I
>would buy from
>http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...p-xl-8k-ds.htm
>because I know his company and he normally has the best price and he
>is in the automobile service tool business.
>
>The new lift would have the full floor (or at least 1/2), no drip
>pans, or dollies, a jacking tray (bridge) and aluminum ramps.
>
>My reasons are I don't move it so why have the dollys? You're going to
>lift the ramps more than you expect so get the lighter ramps.

Why no drip pans?

>With the floor I can put my mower and lawn tractor on it and keep my
>cars on the ground except right now and for the last few months the
>'72 has been up there. It will make a place for your ramps so they
>aren't sticking out for you to bump into with your head. It keeps them
>off the floor where you can trip over them. Although I welded the
>corners and a drain plug in one floor unit to use as a drain I've
>never used that feature.

My problem, although a pleasant one, is that I have too many vehicles
LOL I have 6 toys that I'd like to keep tucked away in as small a
space as possible that will still give me a little elbow room.

When I moved to my house, a perk was a 32x48 garage, about 17 foot of
which is walled off as a workshop and the rest open floor space.
Unfortunately, it had an unfinished bay without a floor, no
electricity other than a single wire that had been shallow buried from
the house, and some of the beams were water damaged and the structure
was questionable.

So, using wheel dollies, I crammed my four best in the space, left the
projects outside, and waited until i could get it fixed. I recently
managed to pour the floor on the last bay, replaced the beams and
shored it up structurally, installed full (and ample) electrical
service, and installed enough lighting to see everything at hand.

I had sufficient room to add all of the cars, but I'm back to being
too cramped for doing much of anything else . My long term plan is
to eventually add another bay to the building, but I'll have to save
my pennies for a while before that happens.

Looking at the link you gave me, I drooled over this:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ph...=2#largerphoto

But I don't have a clue what hoops I'd have to go thru to break down
and haul something like that 8 hours thru several states back to my
place. And it looks like a really tight fit for bigger type
vehicles.

So, I'll look more at their 4 post offering. I have a chopped 34 Ford
and a 71 vette that I think would fit cozily in one, as long as I'm
comfortable that it won't come crashing down on either my head or each
other.

I'm also researching the best (and safest) way to heat the thing now,
and do some other things, so I may be back with more noob questions.

>Unloading it is an effort, I used a large backhoe and it was all it
>could do to pick it up out of the semi.

My BIL is a contractor who unfortunately (for him) can't store his
equipment at his own house so he keeps it at mine. That's good for
me, because it means I have use of a large Cat backhoe and skidloader
whenever I need it, so I think I'm covered better than most at getting
it unloaded.

Thanks for your time,
tom

Old November 18th 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"JustTom" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:23:04 -0500, "Dad" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm normally working alone in the shop and the lift has become
>>invaluable. First off I'm not under a vehicle that is on a jack, or
>>jack stands but it is in the air high enough to work with ease. Any
>>tool is as safe as its user so be careful and use it safely. It,
>>(they
>>are), is built to do the job without a lawsuit.
>>
>>Here's what I would have done differently if I were buying today. I
>>would buy from
>>http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...p-xl-8k-ds.htm
>>because I know his company and he normally has the best price and he
>>is in the automobile service tool business.
>>
>>The new lift would have the full floor (or at least 1/2), no drip
>>pans, or dollies, a jacking tray (bridge) and aluminum ramps.
>>
>>My reasons are I don't move it so why have the dollys? You're going
>>lift the ramps more than you expect so get the lighter ramps.
>>

> Why no drip pans?

They are cheap, thin plastic junk that just gets in the way. Much
rather use the lift floor but since the pans came in the package I use
them some times.

>>With the floor I can put my mower and lawn tractor on it and keep my
>>cars on the ground except right now and for the last few months the
>>'72 has been up there. It will make a place for your ramps so they
>>aren't sticking out for you to bump into with your head. It keeps
>>them
>>off the floor where you can trip over them. Although I welded the
>>corners and a drain plug in one floor unit to use as a drain I've
>>never used that feature.
>>

> My problem, although a pleasant one, is that I have too many
> vehicles
> LOL I have 6 toys that I'd like to keep tucked away in as small a
> space as possible that will still give me a little elbow room.

I have 4 that I drive and keep 6 under roof with the help of the lift.

> When I moved to my house, a perk was a 32x48 garage, about 17 foot
> of
> which is walled off as a workshop and the rest open floor space.
> Unfortunately, it had an unfinished bay without a floor, no
> electricity other than a single wire that had been shallow buried
> from
> the house, and some of the beams were water damaged and the
> structure
> was questionable.
>
> So, using wheel dollies, I crammed my four best in the space, left
> the
> projects outside, and waited until i could get it fixed. I recently
> managed to pour the floor on the last bay, replaced the beams and
> shored it up structurally, installed full (and ample) electrical
> service, and installed enough lighting to see everything at hand.
>
> I had sufficient room to add all of the cars, but I'm back to being
> too cramped for doing much of anything else . My long term plan is
> to eventually add another bay to the building, but I'll have to
> save
> my pennies for a while before that happens.
>
> Looking at the link you gave me, I drooled over this:
> http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ph...=2#largerphoto
>

> But I don't have a clue what hoops I'd have to go thru to break down
> and haul something like that 8 hours thru several states back to my
> place. And it looks like a really tight fit for bigger type
> vehicles.
>
> So, I'll look more at their 4 post offering. I have a chopped 34
> Ford
> and a 71 vette that I think would fit cozily in one, as long as I'm
> comfortable that it won't come crashing down on either my head or
> each
> other.

Check out the safety locks on the one you are looking at and the one
on the site I had in my reply. The only one I've seen fail was your
first consideration, made in Mexico and sold under many names. Plus
they have flame cut edges that will not hold paint and allowes rust to
start. The one that failed had a C3 Corvette on it and one underneath
and dropped when no one was around, somewhere North of $50k damage and
it was setteled in court, company would not back their product.

> I'm also researching the best (and safest) way to heat the thing
> now,
> and do some other things, so I may be back with more noob
> questions.

Same here, need to get my Mustang done and have a '50 Chevy coupe
right behind that. Winter is wasted on small things so I'm insulating
it now and sealing every thing I can to allow me to heat it this
winter. I'm stuck with electric heat and will most likely use a
radiant heater.

>>Unloading it is an effort, I used a large backhoe and it was all it
>>could do to pick it up out of the semi.

> My BIL is a contractor who unfortunately (for him) can't store his
> equipment at his own house so he keeps it at mine. That's good for
> me, because it means I have use of a large Cat backhoe and
> skidloader
> whenever I need it, so I think I'm covered better than most at
> getting
> it unloaded.

They should do it, my problem was only one lifter and the driver was
not required to help and complied with that by setting in the cab.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old November 19th 09, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
kickstart

> Check out the safety locks on the one you are looking at and the one
> on the site I had in my reply. The only one I've seen fail was your
> first consideration, made in Mexico and sold under many names.

I have had the Direct Lift for almost 10 years.
http://www.affordableautomotiveequip...products_id=98
No complaints
About $2200 delivered and set up, with sales tax
USE THE SAFETY STOPS
I believe that's what they are there for.
Never had any problems and am very satisfied
I have a 30x30 garage, 10ft walls with catherdral ceiling It allows my
C-3 to be sent up to full height when on top and my 57 Sedan Delivery
to be about 2 notches from the top.
Plenty of working room either way

Good luck

two post lifts???? Chief McGee Technology 6 February 18th 08 02:39 AM
Teraflex lifts? Carl Jeep 8 May 7th 06 06:02 AM
lifts and tires paulakn Jeep 1 January 29th 06 08:17 PM
Recomended Lifts??? dcollivier Jeep 3 April 21st 05 09:32 AM
Front Lifts Cyberbilly 4x4 0 August 24th 04 07:07 PM