I Racing spam....

Old May 17th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mookytc

Default I Racing spam....

I was looking for my post from some time ago but can't find. Saw this
one coming a while ago. All the affiliations were in line. I still am
disappointed their is no offline support.

CONCORD, NC (May 16, 2009) – NASCAR and iRacing.com Motorsport
Simulations announced today that the two organizations are joining
forces to create a NASCAR-sanctioned online racing series, a new
competition division that will be licensed by NASCAR and organized and
hosted by iRacing. Beginning early in 2010, NASCAR fans anywhere in
the world will be able to log onto the internet and compete against
one another, as well as a number of NASCAR drivers, in an official
NASCAR series featuring digital duplicates of real-world NASCAR cars
and tracks in the most realistic NASCAR racing environment ever
created.

“The online world is an ever growing marketplace filled with NASCAR
fans. To provide those fans with the most realistic NASCAR racing
environment, iRacing was the right partner for us,” said Blake
Davidson, NASCAR managing director of licensed products. “Bill France,
Jr. had the original vision for this series more than ten years ago.
He foresaw a day when NASCAR fans could experience NASCAR’s side-by-
side racing from the comfort of their own homes; that day has come.
The iRacing product is so realistic, that a number of our NASCAR
drivers, including Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Brad Keselowski, A.J.
Allmendinger, Marcos Ambrose and Colin Braun are already iRacing
members, which makes it even better. From the beginning, these drivers
have raved about the incredible accuracy of the cars and the tracks
that iRacing has produced and their involvement, along with NASCAR
Competition, in the development will make the experience even more
authentic.”

More than 12,000 members have signed up for iRacing’s online racing
service since it opened to the public in August, 2008. iRacing uses
laser-scanning and other advanced technology to produce tracks that
are millimeter-accurate duplicates of their real-world counterparts
and race cars of similar visual and mechanical fidelity. The inventory
of vehicles currently available to iRacing members features racing
cars from Chevrolet, one of NASCAR’s automotive partners, including
the Silverado, as raced in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, and
versions of the Impala SS as raced both in the NASCAR Nationwide
Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. iRacing has either completed or
is in the process of building virtually every track on the 2009 NASCAR
Sprint Cup schedule.

“Our members are passionate about racing,” said John Henry, iRacing’s
co-founder and chairman. “They love to drive, and they love to
compete. And they do it in the context of their overall love for
racing in both the physical and virtual worlds. We’re pleased that
iRacing has been chosen as the home of NASCAR-Sanctioned Online Racing
and expect that many of NASCAR’s most avid fans will find iRacing’s
NASCAR-sanctioned series a great way to deepen their connection to and
enjoyment of the sport.”

Henry noted that iRacing’s online racing is available to anyone with a
current PC, a broadband internet connection and an inexpensive PC-
compatible steering wheel and pedal set (available from most consumer-
electronics retailers). Subscriptions to iRacing’s online service,
which permit virtually unlimited racing, are $19.00 per month, with
annual subscriptions available for just $13.00 per month.

“This is one form of racing that is affordable to the average racing
fan,” Henry said. “We provide our members with the opportunity to
develop the same driving skills they see their favorite NASCAR stars
using every weekend, for a fraction of the cost of their monthly phone
bill.”

Henry noted that Earnhardt’s enthusiasm for iRacing’s vision had
helped sustain the company through four years of pre-release
development, and thanked him for his help in making other drivers and
fans aware of the service.

“I’ve been involved with iRacing since the alpha-testing days, and
even used the service to prepare for my own testing and racing,” said
Earnhardt, who is also a member of iRacing’s competition committee.
“But the main thing is being able to get online pretty much anytime
and have fun racing with other people who enjoy it as much as I do.
I’ve helped iRacing develop their stock cars, but this isn’t something
I’d do for money; it’s about having fun.”

iRacing currently organizes 12 online road-racing and oval-track
series arranged in a graduated format that permits members to increase
their driving skills as they proceed up the ladder. The NASCAR-
sanctioned series will offer fans the opportunity to compete under the
same organizational umbrella as the stars they watch compete each
weekend, and sometimes to compete head-to-head with them in the
virtual world.

“Across the board, the talent level of the drivers that we see in our
sport today is at an all-time high,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice
president for competition. “To be able to compete against the best, it
takes a tremendous amount of commitment and practice on the part of
our drivers. Over the years, many of our drivers have helped develop
their skills by participating in virtual training like iRacing. It’s
exciting to now have an online NASCAR-sanctioned series like iRacing
that will be entertaining for our fans and help provide them with a
greater understanding of what it takes to be a NASCAR race car
driver.”

Further details on the 2010 NASCAR-sanctioned series will be made
available later this year.

Old May 17th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

>> CONCORD, NC (May 16, 2009) _ NASCAR and iRacing.com Motorsport
>> Simulations announced today...

> Translation: John Henry spent even more money. :-)
> Andrew McP

Re-translasion: Andrew MacPherson spent even more money.

Old May 18th 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(jeffareid) wrote:

> Re-translasion: Andrew MacPherson spent even more money.

Obviously the money has to come, ultimately, from the iRenters. But with 5-6000
people paying up at the moment, I doubt there's enough money being generated to
grease the Nascar deal. So at this stage we're still in the 'John Henry's hobby is
spending money on iRacing' phase.

It's an interesting development. I've had a seriously gloomy week with iRacing...
few populated races when I wanted to race, and some disappointing incidents when I
have done. So I was feeling particularly 'ho-hum' about the Nascar deal when it was
announced. I'm still not a fan of the whole sport vision, have no deep interest in
Nascar, and when people talk (fantasise) about TV coverage and iRacing becoming
part of a recognised racing circuit (recognised, that is, by more than a few
thousand sim geeks), I still smile and shake my head.

But, as ever, it can only take one satisfying race to put a proper smile back on my
face. A few hours ago I finished 8th out of 17 in my first full truck race at
Lowe's (escaped early from my first last week because I was scared of starting
mid-pack after a yellow on lap 3!) and although 100 laps and 1hour 15 mins was a
bit much for my attention span (and my tyres!) it was rather enjoyable and
satisfying. At the end I was even contemplating buying Phoenix* for next week's
race, despite my aversion to spending money, and my determination to get back to
the Skip Barber where I belong!

As it is I'm spending too much time in the SRF or the truck, and not enough
supporting the Skip Barber series, which seems to be struggling for numbers since a
lot of people moved up to the Mazda, or down to the sideways world of the SRF.

Ok, that's enough for this week's iRacing diary entry. ;-)

Andrew McP

*At least partly because way back in the depths of pre-history, it was my favourite
track in ICR2; the sim which persuaded me (along with Tornado) that I had to buy a
PC.
Old May 18th 09, 10:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mookytc

On May 17, 4:52*pm, "jeffareid" > wrote:
> >> CONCORD, NC (May 16, 2009) _ NASCAR and iRacing.com Motorsport
> >> Simulations announced today...

> > Translation: John Henry spent even more money. :-)
> > Andrew McP

> Re-translasion: Andrew MacPherson spent even more money.

LOL!!! What would my morning inbox look like without Andrew's
commentary and tribulations :-)

DC
Old May 19th 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders[_1_]

"So at this stage we're still in the 'John Henry's hobby is spending
money on iRacing' phase."

His hedge fund imploded and now he throws good money after bad on that
iRacing loser.

"But with 5-6000 people paying up at the moment, I doubt there's enough
money being generated to grease the Nascar deal."

They must all be in Japan or China or somewhere because from what I
hear these numbers are just not adding up in the US anyway. They'll get
some NASCAR advertising time so it might help get them a temporary
bullet. But it will never be sustained.

iRacing's broke ... they just don't know it.

Old May 20th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Official briefing. Skip the early waffle. The bits with Dave Kaemmer & Dale Jnr
starting about 3 mins in are more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGX8BfycNiY

I'm worried that I may be getting iAssimilated, because by the end I was struggling
to be cynical. That's not like me at all. So someone help me out.... please! ;-)

Andrew McP

PS In the interests of full disclosure I rented three more tracks this week to give
me access to the trucks for the rest of my 3 month stay (two I hate now I've got
them :-). The pound is also strengthening against the dollar (temporarily) and I'm
getting dangerously close to signing up for a year to lock that exchange rate in.
However I would like to repeat that I did *not* inhale, or have sexual relations
with that sim.
Old July 12th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RobertMcTigue

On May 16, 9:04*pm, mookytc > wrote:
> I was looking for my post from some time ago but can't find. Saw this
> one coming a while ago. All the affiliations were in line. I still am
> disappointed their is no offline support.

<Snip>
> Further details on the 2010 NASCAR-sanctioned series will be made
> available later this year.

For me after having there service a year I was disappointed. The sim
was nothing great, no league racing and even hard to race with someone
I know. The worst part is the staff are rude to the customers and the
have a "customer service" issue as they have no idea what customer
service(not to be confused with customer support) really is. It seems
to me when you pay for a premium service you should get premium
service. If I went to a 4 star hotel and were treated with poor
service and complained I would expect at least an attempt to make me
feel better about my experience and not just dismissed like they pay
me to be there. Save your money with iRacing .... much better sim's
out there for the money.

Old July 13th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
D_Ruskey

On Jul 12, 7:35*am, RobertMcTigue > wrote:
Save your money with iRacing .... much better sim's
> out there for the money.

Such as?

Old July 13th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RobertMcTigue

On Jul 13, 1:19*pm, D_Ruskey > wrote:
> On Jul 12, 7:35*am, RobertMcTigue > wrote:
> *Save your money with iRacing .... much better sim's
>
> > out there for the money.

> Such as?

rFactor, ARCA08, Live for Speed, NetKar, Race07 and the other Simbin
stuff are all great sims for 1/15 the money.

Just MHO...