TPMS Continued

Old January 6th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

Default TPMS Continued

Hello folks,

I have a relative who also has a 2008 Accord sedan, auto, except hers is a
LX-P with the 16" wheels instead of the 17" on mine. The same thing happened
with her TPMS light going on and off due to cold. It must be a cold issue
for that model. When the outside temp drops to 25F or lower the TPMS will
stay on and remain on even on the highway until the outside temp goes to at
least 30F and after at least a few hours.

Apparently its not a sensor problem or a tire problem its just a Honda fluke
with that model and with a certain degree of coldness...weird!

Al

Old January 6th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
M.M.

alfred wrote:
> I have a relative who also has a 2008 Accord sedan, auto, except hers is a
> LX-P with the 16" wheels instead of the 17" on mine. The same thing happened
> with her TPMS light going on and off due to cold. It must be a cold issue
> for that model. When the outside temp drops to 25F or lower the TPMS will
> stay on and remain on even on the highway until the outside temp goes to at
> least 30F and after at least a few hours.
>
> Apparently its not a sensor problem or a tire problem its just a Honda fluke
> with that model and with a certain degree of coldness...weird!

Doesn't have anything to do with Honda and it's not all that weird, it's
plain old physics...when it gets cold, tire pressure goes down. If it's
just barely above the TPMS threshold anyway, when it gets cold it'll
drop below it and the low pressure indicator will come on. Driving for a
while or when it warms up, the pressure will go up above the threshold
and the light goes out. Check the tire pressure when cold & bring it up
to spec.
Old January 6th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

M.M. wrote:
> alfred wrote:
>> I have a relative who also has a 2008 Accord sedan, auto, except hers
>> is a LX-P with the 16" wheels instead of the 17" on mine. The same
>> thing happened with her TPMS light going on and off due to cold. It
>> must be a cold issue for that model. When the outside temp drops to
>> 25F or lower the TPMS will stay on and remain on even on the highway
>> until the outside temp goes to at least 30F and after at least a few
>> hours.
>>
>> Apparently its not a sensor problem or a tire problem its just a Honda
>> fluke with that model and with a certain degree of coldness...weird!

> Doesn't have anything to do with Honda and it's not all that weird, it's
> plain old physics...when it gets cold, tire pressure goes down. If it's
> just barely above the TPMS threshold anyway, when it gets cold it'll
> drop below it and the low pressure indicator will come on. Driving for a
> while or when it warms up, the pressure will go up above the threshold
> and the light goes out. Check the tire pressure when cold & bring it up
> to spec.

"alfred" is a worrier and likes to be the victim of mystery. you
insisting on injecting science into this thread ruins his ability to
wildly speculate.

some great alfredian contributions to date:

* is the honda fit reliable? [i think that's my favorite!]

* can you get aftermarket hid headlights? [er, think so...]

* xm radio is "fm modulated". [no, it's digital...]

<snip a bunch of questions about cars he doesn't own.>

* unrepeatable anal violation/murder fantasy [anti-theft systems thread].

* synthetic oil, ["mobile 1" no less], might or might not get used in
his engine in the future. [stay tuned in for the thrilling updates folk!]

* maybe brakes can be damaged by using them!!!

* you can't run low octane gas at high compression ratio! [except that
honda figured out how to do it.]

* tire pressure monitoring systems sometimes work as advertised
[pressure drops in low temperatures apparently].

* and so on.

bottom line, he ought to get rid of his accord and go back to the '72
buick. that way he can keep worrying about reliability, design,
performance, etc., and bug the g.m. guys instead. i'm sure they'll be a
lot more indulgent since they're all in the same emotional hand basket.

Old January 7th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred[_3_]

> "alfred" is a worrier and likes to be the victim of mystery. you
> insisting on injecting science into this thread ruins his ability to
> wildly speculate.

Yep, what ever you say...

> * xm radio is "fm modulated". [no, it's digital...]

The xm radio post was because MY xm radio at THAT TIME was fm modulated. It
was a roady xt wireless fm modulated unit, and i was having signal trouble,
which later was found to be related also to the antenna in that aftermarket
setup.

> <snip a bunch of questions about cars he doesn't own.>

Uh...maybe because I was considering them....

> * unrepeatable anal violation/murder fantasy [anti-theft systems thread].

I have a bad temper.

> * maybe brakes can be damaged by using them!!!

I had an emergency brake usage situation, not just using the brakes.

> * you can't run low octane gas at high compression ratio! [except that
> honda figured out how to do it.]

Doesn't mean you cant get better performance from using premium in it.

> * tire pressure monitoring systems sometimes work as advertised [pressure
> drops in low temperatures apparently].

Actually there was no mention in the Honda manual that talked about low
temps cause the sensors to activate.

> bottom line, he ought to get rid of his accord and go back to the '72
> buick.

I never had a '72 buick, but I had a '78 firebird, does that count?

Oh and thank god you didn't quote my posts from the alt.support.herpes
newsgroups! I would have been really embarressed having genital herpes and
all. I found your comments quite insulting to say the least. I think you
need get a life.

Old January 7th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On my sister's 08, it came on when a tire was down to 27lbs and that
way 2 weeks after she bought the car. If I recall the pressure should
be at 32. So if it is going off it is because it is low about 5 lbs of
air. Check it and add to it accordingly. It hasn't come on her car
since the issue was first encountered 3 months ago.

Old January 8th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Jesus, somebody **** in your grits?
Old January 31st 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Jan 5, 8:42 pm, "alfred" > wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have a relative who also has a 2008 Accord sedan, auto, except hers is a
> LX-P with the 16" wheels instead of the 17" on mine. The same thing happened
> with her TPMS light going on and off due to cold. It must be a cold issue
> for that model. When the outside temp drops to 25F or lower the TPMS will
> stay on and remain on even on the highway until the outside temp goes to at
> least 30F and after at least a few hours.
>
> Apparently its not a sensor problem or a tire problem its just a Honda fluke
> with that model and with a certain degree of coldness...weird!
>
> Al

What you had ON was the TPMS light or the "Lower Tire Pressure
Indicator" light ?, I am asking because I had today the TPMS, and the
user guide says this is a malfunction in the system, please could you
confirm, thanks