Torque converter replacement 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Old February 8th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel who wants to know

Default Torque converter replacement 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager

> "Zootal" > wrote in message
> I pulled and rebuilt the engine, 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager. I removed
> the torque converter and replaced the front oil seal. Does the torque
> converter have to go back a certain way, or does it matter if it got
> rotated before being slipped back on the > input shaft? It seems to make a
> grinding type of noise now when the vehicle moves, and I'm not sure what I
> could have done that would cause this. Does it just take time for the
> torque converter to refill with ATF, and is there any type of
> breakin/reset > procedure I need to follow? The vehicle has only been
> drive a few feet, up and down my driveway. I haven't actually taken it out
> on the road yet.

When you install a torque converter you push in and rotate it by hand until
it drops 3 times, once to engage the input shaft splines, once to engage the
stator splines, and finally to engage the front pump drive which can be
splines or just flat spots on the end of the torque converter "snout". When
done and the transmission is bolted back in place the torque converter
should have a small gap between itself and the engine flex plate and should
spin freely until you put in the torque converter bolts. If there was no
gap the torque converter wasn't properly seated in the transmission.