Eliminating PT Cruiser "smell"

Old November 9th 11, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Eliminating PT Cruiser "smell"

I have an original '01 PT LTD. Unfortunately I had to leave it stored
outdoors for over 4 months. Now that its back in service I noticed
that some critters may have set up house under the hood. I blew out
all the nuts, leaves, etc that I could see, but when driving there is
an acrid smell eminating from the vents. At first it smelled like
burnt leaves(which it could have been if some had been lodged on the
manifold), but the smell is more of a "sour" one. Also, I don't think
there is a cabin air filter on this model.

Has anyone any ideas as to how one might rid the car of this smell
without having to rip it to the bones (which is not going to happen).

Thanks all.
Old November 22nd 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 07:44:23 -0600, CopperTop

wrote in news:hknjb7l5590ancdfqkl30b4v8c1focuj1l@
>4ax.com:
>
>> I have an original '01 PT LTD. Unfortunately I had to leave it stored
>> outdoors for over 4 months. Now that its back in service I noticed
>> that some critters may have set up house under the hood. I blew out
>> all the nuts, leaves, etc that I could see, but when driving there is
>> an acrid smell eminating from the vents. At first it smelled like
>> burnt leaves(which it could have been if some had been lodged on the
>> manifold), but the smell is more of a "sour" one. Also, I don't think
>> there is a cabin air filter on this model.
>>
>> Has anyone any ideas as to how one might rid the car of this smell
>> without having to rip it to the bones (which is not going to happen).
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>

>The '01's did not have a filter. I've always used Lysol Disinfectant
>spray. Crank the heater up and stand outside and spray the Lysol into
>the vents at the base of the windshield. There are companies that do
>this stuff with more potent chemicals but it's worth a shot at first
>with a $4 can of Lysol.

UPDATE: Thanks Copper Top for your suggestion. I finally got around
to performing your suggestion and after a few days its about 99%
better.

Just wanted you to know - thanks again.

Pierre_Dumont_Possible_Reposts - "WL_aa-pd-1934 Studebaker Land Cruiser.jpg" 191.1 KBytes [email protected] Auto Photos 0 February 22nd 08 04:08 PM
"Hot smell" Nasty Honda 0 January 22nd 07 06:54 PM
02 PT Cruiser codes "FL0006" "EE 06" "bl 01" ? Lee Gillie Chrysler 3 August 15th 06 12:16 AM
PT Cruiser brake rotor thickness? & "stuck" pad. jimhigh66 Chrysler 4 January 18th 06 03:29 AM