GPL question

Old June 19th 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

Default GPL question

> I haven't shown that to be true yet. However at a first test with a BRM and
> a Cooper, I'm still getting the oscillation, although it *might be less -
> that is requiring a harder drive to cause it to happen. I'll have to
> experiment with Monza I guess. The first turn there is the one where I
> first noticed it - with the Lotus. I'll have to try raising the damping a
> lot higher to find out I think. I've used the recomendations in GRE, but
> they didn't seem to stop it.

Damping might stop a pitch oscillation problem, but I don't see why
yaw would be affected by a suspension adjustment, since there isn't supposed
to be any lateral play in a suspension, only in the tires.

Have you tried messing with tire pressures, beyond the normal range to
see if that has any effect?

Old June 19th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in
:

>> I haven't shown that to be true yet. However at a first test with a
>> BRM and a Cooper, I'm still getting the oscillation, although it
>> *might be less - that is requiring a harder drive to cause it to
>> happen. I'll have to experiment with Monza I guess. The first turn
>> there is the one where I first noticed it - with the Lotus. I'll have
>> to try raising the damping a lot higher to find out I think. I've
>> used the recomendations in GRE, but they didn't seem to stop it.

> Damping might stop a pitch oscillation problem, but I don't see why
> yaw would be affected by a suspension adjustment, since there isn't
> supposed to be any lateral play in a suspension, only in the tires.
>
> Have you tried messing with tire pressures, beyond the normal range to
> see if that has any effect?

Well, I've been testing with Rouen - the long curve before the second last
straight mostly - and damping seems to be decreasing it, but it's still
there a bit. I have no idea where it comes from. I have it set to 15 and
it's *almost* gone. That's doing sub 2:10 lap times in the Ferrari.

Old June 20th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in
:

>> I haven't shown that to be true yet. However at a first test with a
>> BRM and a Cooper, I'm still getting the oscillation, although it
>> *might be less - that is requiring a harder drive to cause it to
>> happen. I'll have to experiment with Monza I guess. The first turn
>> there is the one where I first noticed it - with the Lotus. I'll have
>> to try raising the damping a lot higher to find out I think. I've
>> used the recomendations in GRE, but they didn't seem to stop it.

> Damping might stop a pitch oscillation problem, but I don't see why
> yaw would be affected by a suspension adjustment, since there isn't
> supposed to be any lateral play in a suspension, only in the tires.
>
> Have you tried messing with tire pressures, beyond the normal range to
> see if that has any effect?

Apologies, that *should* have read the 3rd last turn on Rouen.

Old June 29th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"rcgldr" > wrote in
:

>> I haven't shown that to be true yet. However at a first test with a
>> BRM and a Cooper, I'm still getting the oscillation, although it
>> *might be less - that is requiring a harder drive to cause it to
>> happen. I'll have to experiment with Monza I guess. The first turn
>> there is the one where I first noticed it - with the Lotus. I'll have
>> to try raising the damping a lot higher to find out I think. I've
>> used the recomendations in GRE, but they didn't seem to stop it.

> Damping might stop a pitch oscillation problem, but I don't see why
> yaw would be affected by a suspension adjustment, since there isn't
> supposed to be any lateral play in a suspension, only in the tires.
>
> Have you tried messing with tire pressures, beyond the normal range to
> see if that has any effect?

After much testing <g> I've found both my lap times are going down in all
cars I've tested and the oscillation has almost vanished. It's still there,
but it's no longer severe enough to affect the speed through the corners -
which it absolutely was before.

Thanks guys.