iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

Old June 8th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ken MacKay

Default iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

On 6/8/2010 4:54 AM, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> (rcgldr) wrote:
>
>> I thought they had exceeded 10,000 in the past, at least in the
>> oval series, with something like 14,000 total accounts.

> There are definitely over 20,000 accounts (including people who have more than one,
> staff, etc). It might be nearer to 30k by now. But there are all sorts of stats
> (though not enough now Darren doesn't do his amazingly comprehensive report every
> week) and I think the stats you're thinking of were for total drivers participating
> (at least once) over a 12 week season.
>
> Andrew McP

There have been over 28,000 that have signed up since July 2008, and
that may not include those that came over from the beta. If you add up
the number that have signed up compared to the number that participated
in races for the month, only about 1/3 are active.

BTW the number of drivers that are active each week has been around
6000-7000 for about the past 6 months.
Old June 9th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

> BTW the number of drivers that are active each week has been around 6000-7000 for about the past 6 months.

So the drop out rate is about matching the sign up rate?

Old June 9th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ken MacKay

On 6/9/2010 1:45 AM, rcgldr wrote:
>> BTW the number of drivers that are active each week has been around
>> 6000-7000 for about the past 6 months.

> So the drop out rate is about matching the sign up rate?

Hard to say, no one publishes the "didn't renew" numbers. ;-) Could be
that some that signed up aren't racing, or only racing a 1-2 times a
month, and there may be some that rejoin for a month here and there. The
weekly numbers vary a bit up and down but generally have been increasing
since they opened, just not as quickly or as steadily as the sign up
numbers would suggest.
Old June 10th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

>> So the drop out rate is about matching the sign up rate?

> Hard to say, no one publishes the "didn't renew" numbers. ;-) Could be that some that signed up aren't racing, or only
> racing a 1-2 times a month, and there may be some that rejoin for a month here and there. The weekly numbers vary a
> bit up and down but generally have been increasing since they opened, just not as quickly or as steadily as the sign
> up numbers would suggest.

I should have clarified, I meant player activity in series, not memberships.
The private matches may be affecting this.

Old June 10th 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ken MacKay

On 6/9/2010 9:35 PM, rcgldr wrote:
>>> So the drop out rate is about matching the sign up rate?

>> Hard to say, no one publishes the "didn't renew" numbers. ;-) Could
>> be that some that signed up aren't racing, or only racing a 1-2
>> times a month, and there may be some that rejoin for a month here
>> and there. The weekly numbers vary a bit up and down but generally
>> have been increasing since they opened, just not as quickly or as
>> steadily as the sign up numbers would suggest.

> I should have clarified, I meant player activity in series, not
> memberships. The private matches may be affecting this.

My statement about the active drivers leveling off may have been
misleading. The weekly numbers seem to level off for a few months, then
take a step up, level off again, another step, level off... The last
step up was about 6 months ago. But they have been gradually going up
(about double what there was 2 years ago) .

Haven't seen any data on driver participation per series or hosted
servers so can't answer your question. The weekly stats suggest there
are more drivers participating every week over time but they have also
added cars/series and hosted racing which would dilute the drivers per
series. Also no numbers on how many drivers race more than once a week
or in more than one series. As Andrew suggested they haven't quite hit
that "critical mass" to properly support all the series they currently
run, but if driver participation keeps growing as it is they will get
there eventually (assuming they don't add more series at a greater pace
than active driver growth). There have also been talk of combining cars
in multiclass series to keep the number of series in check but that's
just speculation.
Old June 14th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Pat Dotson

> Hard to say, no one publishes the "didn't renew" numbers.

I'm one of those right now. Been there since it went to beta. My
second 1-years subscription ran out last week. I just don't really
care to renew right now.

Part of it is frustration with how the cars drive. I was pretty much
content to just ride it out, then came the Ford V8. If this car is at
all representative of the future of iRacing, I don't want any part of
it. Seems like a really bad rFactor mod to me, but that's being
overly harsh on rFactor mods. IMO, driving the iRacing V8 *fast*
bears no resemblance whatsoever to driving a real car *fast*.

The other part is the sheer enormity of the amount of time it takes to
be somewhat competitive. I just don't have time to stay competitive,
and it's no fun if I'm not.

Lastly, the seasons are too long. I'd like to see short official
series that run for a week or two, with a race every night, or every
other night. 36 week racing seasons in sim racing just don't make any
sense to me.

It all still comes down to the way the cars drive. Until it gets
noticeably better (new tire model) I'm going to go outside and fish or
something.

Pat Dotson
Old June 14th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jelloshooter69

On Jun 14, 2:49*pm, Pat Dotson > wrote:
> > Hard to say, no one publishes the "didn't renew" numbers.

> I'm one of those right now. *Been there since it went to beta. *My
> second 1-years subscription ran out last week. *I just don't really
> care to renew right now.
>
> Part of it is frustration with how the cars drive. *I was pretty much
> content to just ride it out, then came the Ford V8. *If this car is at
> all representative of the future of iRacing, I don't want any part of
> it. *Seems like a really bad rFactor mod to me, but that's being
> overly harsh on rFactor mods. *IMO, driving the iRacing V8 *fast*
> bears no resemblance whatsoever to driving a real car *fast*.
>
> The other part is the sheer enormity of the amount of time it takes to
> be somewhat competitive. *I just don't have time to stay competitive,
> and it's no fun if I'm not.
>
> Lastly, the seasons are too long. *I'd like to see short official
> series that run for a week or two, with a race every night, or every
> other night. *36 week racing seasons in sim racing just don't make any
> sense to me.
>
> It all still comes down to the way the cars drive. *Until it gets
> noticeably better (new tire model) I'm going to go outside and fish or
> something.
>
> Pat Dotson

your thoughts are the same as many. limitation of the game engine,
since it is still generally the same as 8 yrs ago. all the money went
to ads and lush details/salaries versus realism and better code. said
it before smoke and mirror display.
Old June 15th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Mine ran out also, will renew this winter when RL race season ends....
maybe.