replacement of my fuel pump or filter

Old March 6th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default replacement of my fuel pump or filter

I recently started having problems with my 1988 Audi 80 quattro. Until
last week, I had never had a problem with it. Aftter returning from
leave, my wife and I were driving the car - when it just died while
running. I tried several times to re-start it, but it didn't start.
Twenty minutes later it started without a problem. I thought it was
BAD gas, so I added some dry gas to my fuel --- it ran fine for
several days. However, yesterday the car stopped again, I had it
towed home and left it in my garage for the last several days .... ony
now it won't start at all.

I'm not sure whether it is the fuel pump, fuel pump relay or the fuel
filter. I have just purchased a new fuel filter, but; I'm looking for
help with this problem. In addition I'm not sure of how to replacement
the fuel pump ... if in fact it is the problem. I have heard that the
fuel pump on the 1988 a80 quattro is submerged in the gas tank.

Can anyone help me with this problem:

Tks in advance

.

Old March 6th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

The problem might be from a number of causes including the fuel supply that you
suggested. Have you determined that you have spark to rule out ignition issues?
These could be caused by failing hall effect in the distributor, loose ground
connections, failing ignition switch ...

If it is fuel related it could be a number of issues but your thought that the
problem is with the fuel pump relay is quite likely. The fuel pump usually dies
slowly (months) and makes noises during the process. Old fuel filters usually
cause bucking when the engine is under load.

When the fuel pump relay it is usually as you describe - all at once and kills
the engine. The relays are also known to have intermittent failure as you have
described. To test you could replace with a known good relay. If you don't have
a spare you can connect a jumper wire across the larger terminals when the fuel
pump plugs in to the relay box. If the car starts that is your problem. You can
actually drive ti this way but I would advise against it because the relay shuts
off the fuel supply in case of an accident.

Old March 8th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Mr. D,
If you've been hearing what sounds like a nest of bees in your gas tank or
under the passenger side of the car, then it may be the fuel pump.
Considering that you don't know where the pump actually is, well, that's an
indication of it working OK.
I would check the fuel pump relay - possibly bypassing it to test if the
pump comes on. I had a flaky relay on my 5ktq and it would occasionally cut
out while turning or driving, sometimes wouldn't start, etc. There was a
hairline crack in one of the internal solder joints - I reflowed the solder
and it has worked like a charm ever since (maybe it's scared of the 4 relays
I keep in the glovebox as backups as well?).
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)