HORROR STORIES- victims keep emailing me! 5/13

Old May 13th 04, 04:41 PM
misterfact

Default HORROR STORIES- victims keep emailing me! 5/13

Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:58:49 EDT
Subject: Broken timing Chain

We have a 2001 l200 Saturn with less than 70.000.00 miles that the
timing chain broke on. The dealer wants $2300.00 to repair it. I
don't have the money. absolutely no help from the dealer. What can we
do??
The Cody Family

(only thing you can do is warn others about Saturn's worthless and
SHORT TERM warranty!)
Old May 14th 04, 04:03 AM
Jonnie Santos

Joe in FL owns a Saturn salvage business and has remarked in the past about
seeing broken chains - you might do a Google search and or contact Joe at:
http://www.6thplanetusedparts.com for additional info.

om...

Old May 18th 04, 04:49 AM
Blue87T

>We have a 2001 l200 Saturn with less than 70.000.00 miles that the
>timing chain broke on. The dealer wants $2300.00 to repair it. I
>don't have the money. absolutely no help from the dealer. What can we
>do??
> The Cody Family

What advice did you give them ? Did you give them any technical info on how
they could actually get their car fixed ? Did you help them explore the most
cost effective repair options so that they might save a few $?

Or... did you just teach them how to whine? I still dont understand why people
think the dealer should help. Sure thats a lot of money . But again the
warranty is pretty clear and Saturn doesnt hide that fact. Should teh chain of
broken ? Dont know. Do you have a complete service history from these people?
Did they have regular oil changes ? How do they drive ? What caused the chain
to break? They usually dont just break without warning.

Please , in all seriousness , explain to me why a dealer/manufacturer should be
expected to provide warranty service 34k miles past the factory warranty.

>(only thing you can do is warn others about Saturn's worthless and
>SHORT TERM warranty!)

How is it worthless? Their "short term " warranty was the standard length for a
lot of years. I am sure they were offered an extended warranty when they bought
it.
Old May 18th 04, 07:11 AM
richard hornsby

>>We have a 2001 l200 Saturn with less than 70.000.00 miles that the
>>timing chain broke on. The dealer wants $2300.00 to repair it. I
>>don't have the money. absolutely no help from the dealer. What can we
>>do??

70,000 miles for a vehicle that is only three or four years old is quite
a lot. As noted in the parent, these things don't break in a vaccum -
there are almost always precipitating events and warnings of imminent
failure. (ie, "Gee, the oil light came on but I just kept driving
because I didn't have time to deal with it.") While not unique to
Saturns, because many Saturn engines are zero clearance, a broken chain
likely would have done more (and severe) damage to the engine than could
be repaired by simply replacing the chain.

OTOH, a second opinion usually doesn't hurt, if it is available.
Dealers tend to charge a little more than non-dealer repair facilities.
Then again, you expect that the dealer would
- have the most experience in repairing your vehicle make
- have available all of the right tools for the right job for that
particular vehicle

> What advice did you give them ? Did you give them any technical info on how
> they could actually get their car fixed ? Did you help them explore the most
> cost effective repair options so that they might save a few $?

Apparently not. Perhaps a bicycle would be more appropriate for this
person - then again when the tire goes flat he'll find a way to blame
the rock that he hit.

-rj
98SL2
Old May 18th 04, 06:05 PM
misterfact

richard hornsby > wrote in message >...
> >>We have a 2001 l200 Saturn with less than 70.000.00 miles that the
> >>timing chain broke on. The dealer wants $2300.00 to repair it. I
> >>don't have the money. absolutely no help from the dealer. What can we
> >>do??

> 70,000 miles for a vehicle that is only three or four years old is quite
> a lot. As noted in the parent, these things don't break in a vaccum -
> there are almost always precipitating events and warnings of imminent
> failure. (ie, "Gee, the oil light came on but I just kept driving
> because I didn't have time to deal with it.") While not unique to
> Saturns, because many Saturn engines are zero clearance, a broken chain
> likely would have done more (and severe) damage to the engine than could
> be repaired by simply replacing the chain.
>
> OTOH, a second opinion usually doesn't hurt, if it is available.
> Dealers tend to charge a little more than non-dealer repair facilities.
> Then again, you expect that the dealer would
> - have the most experience in repairing your vehicle make
> - have available all of the right tools for the right job for that
> particular vehicle
>
> > What advice did you give them ? Did you give them any technical info on how
> > they could actually get their car fixed ? Did you help them explore the most
> > cost effective repair options so that they might save a few $?

> Apparently not. Perhaps a bicycle would be more appropriate for this
> person - then again when the tire goes flat he'll find a way to blame
> the rock that he hit.
>
> -rj
> 98SL2

My Festiva ('88) has 250,000miles on it andthe timing chain hasn't
broke! If you think 70,000 miles on an engine before the timing chain
breaks is GREAT- I'm sure you think it's great unless it happens to
you!
Old May 19th 04, 02:56 AM
Blue87T

>HORROR STORIES

>My Festiva ('88) has 250,000miles on it andthe timing chain hasn't
>broke! If you think 70,000 miles on an engine before the timing chain
>breaks is GREAT- I'm sure you think it's great unless it happens to
>you!

Thats cool that your Festiva has lasted that long . I dont think anyone here
said or even implied that a chain breaking is "great" . It does happen though
and thats just the nature of mechanical parts
Old May 23rd 04, 03:08 PM
Laurent Doiron

If they keep e-mailing you then get yourself a bigger garbage can

Mr tired of hearing you complain !!!!

--
larry