Is this a poor and tired alternator?

Old May 22nd 04, 01:10 AM
Bill ing

Default Is this a poor and tired alternator?

1997 SL1
Manual tranny
200,000Km / 120,000Mi
Do alot of my own maintenance and it gets dino oil every 5000Km/3000Mi

Two weekends ago, it wouldn't start after a night of sitting in the driveway
and we got it boosted.

Drove it for 20 minutes and the battery was still dead.

My father in-law hooked up a tester on it and figured the alternator was
indeed charging but the engine stopped when he hit the load button. (first
suspicious clue there)

We got a new battery and things have been great until yesterday.

I was sitting in traffic and I believe the A/C was on for the first time
this season. The gauges, radio and anything except the engine blinked off
for a moment - of about a half a second or less. It happened a second time
a couple of minutes later.

I was pretty much at my destination already and so went in and bought some
computer parts.

I came back out, started the car and made for the parking lot exit. The car
just died. The battery was completely drained as the time on the clock
disappeared but would come back after shutting everything down including
dome light.

My brother came along and gave me a boost. Three starts in total.

First start, the engine got progressively slower until it stopped afrter 5
or so seconds.

Second start, I put my foot on the brake and the engine died.

Third start, I let it go for a bit and it was good enough for a short drive
to drive to my parents' house.

In the evening, I started it and took it for a 10 minute drive around my
parents' neighbourhood and things appeared fine.

I'm thinking the alternator is getting tired and would do well with a
replacement. Anybody agree or have other suggestions?

With the exception of a SSI dealership mechanic and Jiffy Lube place, my
experiences with this car for the last 7 years has been wonderful. Yeah,
it's burning oil but I just noticed the post a month or so back about
pouring GM piston cleaner into the plug holes and letting it sit overnight
and am game to try that.

Mileage has gone down to about 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to get since
100,000Km and I'd love to hear some ideas to fix that. I used to go about
700 - 900Km per tank of gas depending on how much city or highway driving I
did. Nowadays, it looks like 500 to 700 clicks.

Also of note, the last few weeks, it's taking quite a few turns of the
starter or just letting go of the key for a second and then turning it again
before the engine starts at times.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Bill Ing

Old May 22nd 04, 01:32 AM
Warren

> I was sitting in traffic and I believe the A/C was on for the first time
> this season. The gauges, radio and anything except the engine blinked off
> for a moment - of about a half a second or less. It happened a second

time
> a couple of minutes later.

In me experience with my previous Saturn ('93 SC 2) I discovered that when
the alternator is "shot" all the auxiliary systems do indeed shut down
first...it sounds like a similar situation in your case. The first one I
replaced it with was done at the dealership, and they charged a HORRENDOUS
amount, and warranted it for 3 years. About 3 years later - almost to the
day - it went out. I was determined that I would get a better alternator at
a better price...and I did. I went to AutoZone (are there any in Canada?)
and bought one with a lifetime warranty (as long as I owned the car!) for
1/3! Yes, 1/3 the cost of what Saturn charged! This time, I installed it
myself - had to remove the right wheel well and install it from below the
car - (much easier this way) - and it worked perfectly and more powerfully
than the AC/Delco/GM/Saturn version...

Warren

Old May 22nd 04, 02:10 AM
Jonnie Santos

3 batts and 3 alts on my 97SL2 with almost 90k (miles). The last battery
failure (and it was a relatively new battery) gave symptoms like you
described. It was very hard to start even with AAA (roadside service) and
then on the drive home the gauges were nuts. It would not start again when
home. I just went and bought a battery and kept waiting for the alternator
to go, so far so good (it was last Fall sometime I think...)

.cable.rogers.com...

Old May 22nd 04, 02:15 AM
Matt hotmail

I would tend to think Alternator also. i would also change the tensioner
and serpentine belt if not already done. This is easier done by the same
right side wheel removed and lowering the top mount tension. It would be
wise to get one of the 10mm wrenches that have a 5 degree movement range.
good luck the job took me over 4 hours with the wrong tools. Recent
purchased the right tools and probably would take about an hour but haven't
needed to do the job again.
1997 SL2

Old May 22nd 04, 03:40 AM
Blah blah

Same thought here. Is there an Bat/alt light on your dash or a Gage? If
its a gage and its sitting at 12volts or less its battery power. If its
at 14v then it should be charging. Be sure to charge your battery after
installing a new alternator or you could over work the alternator and be
doing that job over again.

In article >,
says...

Old May 22nd 04, 04:54 AM
Bill ing

Thanks for the reply.

No Autozones up here but a shuffle off to Buffalo would get me to one as
well as a Pep Boys.

But I think there are plenty of other sources in the Toronto area to get
one.

I'm guessing it's either a brand new OEM or a rebuilt/remanufactured unit.
It was quoted $200 Canadian for a remanufactured Bosch unit. I think that's
around the $150 USD mark.

Cheers

Old May 22nd 04, 04:56 AM
Bill ing

Wow. Hope I'm not in over my head with this one.

But, for the sake and interest in keeping my baby on the road for a long
time, it's probably a good idea to take care of those too.

I'll check both my Haines and Chilton manuals about which tools they want
you to have.

Thanks

om...

Old May 22nd 04, 04:57 AM
Bill ing

Gauge, I do believe. But I don't remember there being too much usefull
information on it. I'll check it again and thanks for the tip.

Old May 22nd 04, 05:01 AM
Bill ing

3? Holy crap.

I've heard friends and read in this group over the past few years that they
had alternator troubles especially in places with lots of hot and humid
weather.

All things considered, behind the wheel well is a pretty miserable place for
ventilating it.