71-73 mustang engine swap, power &mpg?? what fits??

Old July 16th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Newpinguy

Default 71-73 mustang engine swap, power &mpg?? what fits??

Is there a website with a reference chart of what engines will fit into
a 71-73 mustang. Basicly, I'm looking for something that will fit
without making any mods and will give me power and 20mpg. Does it
exist??

Old July 16th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Newpinguy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is there a website with a reference chart of what engines will fit into
> a 71-73 mustang. Basicly, I'm looking for something that will fit
> without making any mods and will give me power and 20mpg. Does it
> exist??

Without making any modifications, the exact same engine that came in the
car.
If you don't mind some modifications, you could put any of the following
engines in that car.

Inline six small transmission bolt pattern
V-8 302 Windsor small transmission bolt pattern
V-8 351 Windsor small transmission bolt pattern
V-8 351 Cleveland small transmission bolt pattern
V-8 351 M large transmission bolt pattern
V-8 400 M large transmission bolt pattern
V-8 429 large transmission bolt pattern
V-8 460 large transmission bolt pattern

Although some people claim to have experienced 20 Mile Per Gallon fuel
mileage from these vintage of large Fords with the smaller V-8 engines, I
have never gotten more than 17 MPG.

Old July 17th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott Van Nest

I would think a stock 302 with the small 2 bll and 3.00 gears would get 20.
I would die to know I had to run that setup again.

Scott

Old July 17th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"Scott Van Nest" > wrote in message
>I would think a stock 302 with the small 2 bll and 3.00 gears would get 20.
> I would die to know I had to run that setup again.
>
> Scott
>
> "My Names Nobody" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Newpinguy" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Is there a website with a reference chart of what engines will fit into
>> > a 71-73 mustang. Basicly, I'm looking for something that will fit
>> > without making any mods and will give me power and 20mpg. Does it
>> > exist??
>> >

>> Without making any modifications, the exact same engine that came in the
>> car.
>> If you don't mind some modifications, you could put any of the following
>> engines in that car.
>>
>> Inline six small transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 302 Windsor small transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 351 Windsor small transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 351 Cleveland small transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 351 M large transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 400 M large transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 429 large transmission bolt pattern
>> V-8 460 large transmission bolt pattern
>>
>> Although some people claim to have experienced 20 Mile Per Gallon fuel
>> mileage from these vintage of large Fords with the smaller V-8 engines, I
>> have never gotten more than 17 MPG.

switch to 2.80 rear use 15 inch wheels use either a 250 inline six or 302
with a 3 speed manual and 20MPG is easy. This set up will get and easy 25mpg
on the hiway at 65.....
early v-8 with low rears high pressure p=metric radials and driven correctly
will obtain the 20MPG mark. it just so damn much fun to hammer the go pedal
though...

Old July 17th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

"Newpinguy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is there a website with a reference chart of what engines will fit into
> a 71-73 mustang. Basicly, I'm looking for something that will fit
> without making any mods and will give me power and 20mpg. Does it
> exist??

Yes, a stock 5.0 out of a 88 on Mustang. The T-Bird and full size 5.0 is not
as peppy but will also give good mileage. You will need to modify the fuel
system and use the newer computer but many have been done so there has to be
info on the web. If you can't find the info look at the early Bronco forums.

Al

Old July 17th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott Van Nest

That is why I now have a 331 with 3.90 gears. I don't even bother with
milage or miles driven.

But I am looking into the Gears Vendor overdrive kit.

Scott

Old August 12th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Anonymous Yakima Poster

I put a 429 and C6 transmission in my 72 Mach I while my 351C was being
rebuild. I didn't have any trouble fitting it, in fact is was a factory
option. If I remember right (it's been a while) I had to find motor mounts.
I had 3.0 gears (I think). I got 15 city and 18 highway.