Pinging

Old November 14th 04, 10:26 PM

Default Pinging

Car is pinging every new and then at full throttle... maybe 1/5 times. It's
very unnerving. Also, I'm losing about a 1/4 of a quart of oil every 3k
miles. I'm going to clean the air filter today, clean sensors, I already
replaced EGR valve. What else would you recommend I do? Thanks in advance.
Btw, running 91 octane (designed for 87, but on 87 it pings worse).

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old November 14th 04, 10:40 PM
Backyard Mechanic

If it pings at full throttle but not at tip-in, you likely have a fuel supply
problem.

And the O2 sensors wont see it because they arent looked at at WOT

Filter, pump, line kink

opined in om:

Old November 14th 04, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure how I can inspect the fuel lines more thoroughly than a visual
inspection... filter was replaced about 5k miles ago. pump is the factory
pump as far as I know... should I check fuel pressure??

-Mike

Old November 14th 04, 11:00 PM
steve

God forbid it would be the dreaded intake manifold failure causing one
or more cyls to burn lean!

Old November 14th 04, 11:16 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Two things I would recommend.

First is to clean the MAF sensor element. Over time it develops a coat
of dirt that insulates the element which in turn causes the meter to
send a signal to the computer that it is seeing less air than is
actually running through the it. This causes the computer to deliver
less fuel to the cylinders than is required and a lean condition occurs
which can result in detonation (aka "pinging").

Second is to dump a can of BG 44K into the gas tank. If you are burning
oil it might be causing a buildup of carbon in the combustion chambers.
Since the carbon takes up space it has the effect of raising the
compression ratio of the engine. This in turn can cause detonation. BG
44K will also do a great job of cleaning the entire fuel system. The
cheap fuel system additives found in auto parts stores aren't worth
using IMHO.

As mentioned, you may have a fuel delivery problem such as a weak fuel
pump or a semi-clogged fuel filter.

As a last comment I don't think burning a 1/4 quart of oil every 3,000
miles is all that bad. We had a T-Bird that burned 1-2 quarts every
3,000 miles and it lasted to 183,000 miles and ran great up until our
son introduced it to the concrete base of a light pole at 35 mph.

Old November 15th 04, 12:13 AM
Backyard Mechanic

steve opined in :

> God forbid it would be the dreaded intake manifold failure causing one
> or more cyls to burn lean!

ooops!

But that should show when you read the plugs

Old November 15th 04, 12:16 AM

Hmm... BG 44K. Damn. I just put in a can of Seafoam Carbon Cleaner... LOL.
*slaps self*. I've heard good things about BG 44K as well, but the only
place to find it here is at Precision Tune Auto Care & they are closed on
Sundays. Sooo i opted for Seafoam instead. About $5.50/can wasn't too bad I
thought. Bought 2. Put 1 in gas tank. Have the other sitting right here on
my desk. About to go clean the MAF sensor (come to think of it, I *did* let
my air filter get pretty dirty once... didn't clean MAF afterwards either) &
disconnect battery for 20 mins. I put in a can of Seafoam cleaner & 87
octane... and SURPRISINGLY it immediately pinged FAR less... mostly at 4k-5k
RPM range & in 3rd gear. The car feels a tiiiiny bit more "alive"..
definitely not more "powerful", but just more responsive. These were
immediate results. Car has been driven about 30 miles since I did Seafoam (I
drove it a while on purpose). Anyway... I'm off to clean the MAF sensor.
Hope I can find some electrical parts cleaner around the house..

-Mike

Old November 15th 04, 12:32 AM

Just found out that a few dealerships around here keep BG 44K in stock. I'll
hafta drop by & see if this Seafoam carbon cleaner doesn't work. They're
about $25/can at Precision Tune... I'll see what the dealers charge. Thanks,
Michael.

-Mike

Old November 15th 04, 01:58 AM
Backyard Mechanic

opined in . com:

> Well... the Seafoam isn't gone or anything yet, but after cleaning
> MAF... problem went away a bit more. I almost hafta "work at it" to get
> it to ping, but it is still there.

read the plugs to see if there is one or two running leaner than the others
Old November 15th 04, 02:14 AM

What indications would there be on the plugs? Also, I left the gap settings
at what NGK set them... I believe it was at 0.045 or close. I could be wrong
though. I'll check 'em all tomorrow. What gap should I be using? 0.054?

-Mike

93 3.3 DRB II Scan tool ncs Chrysler 121 January 16th 05 04:19 PM
V6 Pinging right between coasting and acceleration Gene Buckwalter Audi 0 December 23rd 04 01:51 AM
Fuel Mixture adjustment? saturn_96 Saturn 8 December 11th 04 06:27 AM
Pinging on a Passat? Ron /Champ 6 VW water cooled 4 November 4th 04 11:29 PM
How to fix pinging? -- SOLVED, additional info Chris Szilagyi General 0 April 8th 04 05:14 AM