98 Accord - front ball joints are bad before original front brake pads?

Old September 21st 04, 11:10 PM
Cris Fuhrman

Default 98 Accord - front ball joints are bad before original front brake pads?

Hi,

I have a '98 Honda Accord with just 60K miles. Took it for an oil
change and the garage told me I need to replace both front ball joints
(and have an alignment). I don't really know the mechanic well enough
to trust him, so I'm unsure. I've decided not to have it done for now,
and will have it checked elsewhere.

In the mean time, can someone with experience tell me if it is likely
with a '98 Accord that the ball joints go bad before the brake pads?
They are the *original* pads.

Thanks,

Cris
Old September 21st 04, 11:13 PM
Grumpy au Contraire

Cris Fuhrman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a '98 Honda Accord with just 60K miles. Took it for an oil
> change and the garage told me I need to replace both front ball joints
> (and have an alignment). I don't really know the mechanic well enough
> to trust him, so I'm unsure. I've decided not to have it done for now,
> and will have it checked elsewhere.
>
> In the mean time, can someone with experience tell me if it is likely
> with a '98 Accord that the ball joints go bad before the brake pads?
> They are the *original* pads.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cris

60K seems "mite bit" early for ball joints on a Honda and any modern
vehicle for that matter...

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old September 22nd 04, 01:58 AM
SoCalMike

Cris Fuhrman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a '98 Honda Accord with just 60K miles. Took it for an oil
> change and the garage told me I need to replace both front ball joints

what garage? midas? pep boys?

> (and have an alignment). I don't really know the mechanic well enough
> to trust him, so I'm unsure. I've decided not to have it done for now,
> and will have it checked elsewhere.

unless youre noticing uneven tire wear, or pulling to one side, or
wandering, theyre probably full of it. and how would you know they even
did the job, anyway?

> In the mean time, can someone with experience tell me if it is likely
> with a '98 Accord that the ball joints go bad before the brake pads?
> They are the *original* pads.

nah. some never need new ball joints. ive got 47k on the OEM pads and
rear shoes, and they look like i have at least 50% left.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:00 PM
Digiti

There is a recall on the 1998 Accord for replacement of the lower balljoint.
Check it out with Honda.

m...