Replacing Alloy Wheels on 97 accord - what to look for?

Old February 3rd 05, 06:31 PM

Default Replacing Alloy Wheels on 97 accord - what to look for?

My alloy wheels on my 97 accord are showing corrosion, scuffs and
chipped paint on the wheel caps, I would like to replace them with some
aftermarket alloys. Asthesitics aside, what should I look for in new
alloys in as far as construction (2-piece 3-piece casts etc.). In
regards to improving or maintaining ride and handling is lighter
better? How can I get a rough idea on the durability of the finish or
resistance to scuffing (from curbs etc.) Can anyone recommend some good
national chain retailers to get alloys at a competitive price?
Thanks

Old February 3rd 05, 08:26 PM

First go with a chrome finish. Do not get polished with a clear coat.
It will fade, yellow etc and any brake fluid or harsh chemical will mar
the finish. Make sure the offset is correct for your car. You don't
want the rims sticking out like a low rider. And make sure your tires
are wide enough to cover the edge of the rim, otherwise you will ruin
the rim on curbs. Not all the info you need, just some.

Old February 16th 05, 12:09 PM
classicred

try www.tirerack.com

Chrome looks nice but on a sedan, sometimes it looks , dare I say ricey.
More bling without performance.

Tirerack does deliver to installers in your area and they will usually mount
for about 10-15 per tire. The savings you get from tirerack is worth the
extra few bucks, plus their selection is quite good. At the elast, you get
to look at some styles and use the rack's prices as a bargaining tool with
vendors near your home. I think the Enkeis look nice on Sedans like the
accord. If its a coupe, hey maybe chrome is not too bad of an idea. Good
luck buddy.

oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 03:40 PM
Dan Beaton

You could get the existing wheels refinished for a lot less than replacing
them. Most cities have several shops that do this. Some shops offer a
service to change the appearance of the wheel. Many modern wheels that
look like they are clear-coated aluminum are actually painted and then
clear-coated.

There is no finish that will resist 'curb rash'. Concrete is a lot harder
than aluminum. However, having a tire with a sidewall that extends wider
than the rim will provide some protection. Having a rim that is on the
narrower end of the spectrum for your tire will help this, although better
handling occurs with wider rims and tires.

Handling and ride are usually opposites (except for French car makers).
Better handling gives worse ride. Larger diameter wheels and low profile
tires will look better and handle better in dry conditions, but will
result in a harsher ride. Wider tires are more prone to aquaplaning.
Some premium tires can offer good handling and good ride.

Lots of choices.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)