97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

Old February 5th 05, 09:31 PM

Default 97 Honda Accord seatbelt retraction problem

I have a 1997 Honda Accord with about 140K miles.
The seat belt on the drivers side doesnt retract well anymore.
Often the belt gets caught in the door when I leave the car.
Perhaps this is normal wear and tear on the seat belt mechanism after
so many miles. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if
anyone tried to repair this, roughly how much should it cost?
Thanks

Old February 6th 05, 01:00 AM

Hi. Will the belt go to the end of the track if you help it along?
Sounds like it may just need a good lubrication, either of the
track/slider, or the drive mechanism.

Old February 6th 05, 02:49 AM
radar

often seat belts get worn and ever so slightly frayed becoming slightly
'furry' which makes them reluctant to retract ( especially drivers belt ) so
if you seat belt seems slightly furry or fluffy then shave it (carefully!)
whith a bic or similar disposable razor. This should help!

oups.com...

Old February 6th 05, 11:18 PM

Oh I misunderstood the original posters question...I thought he/she
meant the motorized retraction.

-Jamie

Old February 7th 05, 04:54 PM
ravelation

"motsco_ (motsco_=A0_)
wrote:

>Read your (American?) owner's manual
>very carefully. . . You have
>specific rights that apply to the seat belt
>mechanism.

I've often read in differing ngs that broken seatbelts will always be
warrantied by the dealer, no matter the age of the vehicle. True? The
reason I ask is we just bought an '01 Infiniti QX4 and it has a seatbelt
that won't come out of the retractor. We signed the 'as is' clause, but
I'm hoping a broken seatbelt would be something they'll honor with no
quibbles or charge for the service.

Old February 9th 05, 07:48 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
ravelation > wrote:
>I've often read in differing ngs that broken seatbelts will always be
>warrantied by the dealer, no matter the age of the vehicle. True? The
>reason I ask is we just bought an '01 Infiniti QX4 and it has a seatbelt
>that won't come out of the retractor. We signed the 'as is' clause, but
>I'm hoping a broken seatbelt would be something they'll honor with no
>quibbles or charge for the service.

Read the owner's manual for the vehicle regarding warranties that apply
to it.

Timothy J. Lee
Old February 13th 05, 11:01 PM
J.

You might also try cleaning the belt (soap & water only, then dried well)
and also the guide on the pillar that the belt slides over. This was
actually a service bulletin on my old 90 Prelude and completely cured my
slow/hesitant retracting belt when I tried it when the car was about 7 years
old.

I could actually see crud on that belt guide and also used a thin stiff
plastic sheet to help scrape it off. Don't know if Honda has changed
materials or spacing to help alleviate that problem.

J.

oups.com...