1987 528e interior light not working when doors open

Old December 1st 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
rick

Default 1987 528e interior light not working when doors open

I can turn on the light at the switch but they will not come on when the
door is open.
I think it might be in the switch. It feels a little spongie.
Any thoughts?

thanks...
rick
1987 528e... around 260K miles. Odometer stopped at 192K three years ago.

Old December 1st 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

Try another door. If the light works by one or more doors, but fails on
another, then the switch on the door is bad. Odds favor the switch being
dirty, which is a condition that can be resolved without buying new parts.

Old December 1st 06, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
rick

Thanks Jeff:
The dome lights will not work with any doors.
rick

Old December 1st 06, 11:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"rick" > wrote in message
>I can turn on the light at the switch but they will not come on when the
>door is open.
> I think it might be in the switch. It feels a little spongie.
> Any thoughts?

You're probably right. They are very simple affairs, with leaf contacts
closed or opened by a ramp on the sliding the switch. I'd suggest you remove
it altogether to check it's operation with a multimeter. Cleaning or bending
the contact leaves as necessary.
I had to do this on my high mileage 525 when switching on the light, often
failed to light the bulb. Or it would go off by itself, after being switched
on.
Mike.

Old December 1st 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho

Dome light relay, location unknown to me but someone here will be
able to point it out...

Old December 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
varan

Theres one screw holding the light switch at the middle of the driver
door frame in the front. Its got the plunger that switches the light
on when its out. If you unscrew it and pull the switch and its two
wires out you can touch them together to see it will turn the lights
on. If its not there, it might be in the light switch itself which
pops out fairly easily. Try bavauto.com if you need a new switch. When
reconnecting the door switch connect the wires back to the switch and
careful not to let them fall into the hole. I dont know if theres any
dome light relay in that car, i am fairly sure there is not. I also
think it wise to first try with a multimeter at the door and driver
override switches. If you do not have one or are unable to use one (or
a test light), then just order the driver override switch to the left
of the steering column on left hand drive cars. Its very probably
that. Im tired and burnt out, i dunno if my answer has been rambling
and nonsensical...if it has consult the rosetta stone and perhaps have
the dalai lama read the tea leaves. Therein your answers lie.
Muhahahahaha. Muhahahahahahahahahahaha. Ahem

Old December 3rd 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

The Dome Light switch is a 3-position switch. The positions are,
always on no matter the status of the doors,
on and off as the doors open and close,
and always off no matter the status of the doors.

If the lights come on with the switch, then you must have set the switch
incorrectly for the lights to respond to the doors. I seriously doubt that
all door switches will fail at the same time.

Old December 5th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
rick

Thanks group.
I'll check the switch with my meter hopefully it will show a problem.
The switch is in the center position.
since all the doors/dome light on - stopped working at the same time I am
guessing it is not in the doors.

thanks again.. i appreciate all your suggestions
rick

Old December 6th 06, 02:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Psycho

I'll say it again, Interior Light Control Unit Relay, located in
driver's footwell. It is part # : 61 31 1 373 974. Bavarian Auto has
it for $60 and BMW sells it for way more than that. I would not
replace this sucker without doing some troubleshooting at the relay
plug itself first.