Thermostat Question 160 deg. or 195 deg.?

Old August 17th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Thermostat Question 160 deg. or 195 deg.?

The others have covered the t-stat question pretty well - don't!

As for the ping/knock, it only costs a little time to SLOWLY run a
pint of water through the intake while keeping the engine at a fast
idle. That will blast the carbon buildup off the heads and help with
pre-ingition for hot deposits. As Mike R. says, you could also run a
pint of ATF through it as well - might even work better - but the
humongous smoke cloud that creates is gonna irritate some neighbors.

--
Will Honea

**********End Of Post*************

I would suggest trying seafoam

Old August 18th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kevin

Thanks for everyone's informative responses. I knew there were some
good reasons not to go to a 160 stat, it just really bugged me that the
smog police would care about that. The only reason I believe my timing
is on is because every mechanic / smog tech to have ever checked it is
getting the exact same reading as I am, but I guess I should check it
with a gauge. I have run water slowly into the carb and am on my 2nd
tank of Chevron 91 octane gas, both have helped but it still has a way
to go. I think I will go ahead and remove my Air Conditioning system
since it doesn't work anymore anyway, and the condensor is right in
front of the radiator.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old August 18th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You have the dreaded Ford emissions computer running that carb and
timing system.

If the knock sensor has failed or any other of the hundreds of feet (it
seems) of vacuum lines have failed the computer dumps into 'limp home
mode' and clamps down on the timing.

To test for this, warm it up fully and then open the hood and give the
front tube of the intake manifold a warp with a hammer. The engine
should stumble as the knock sensor kicks the timing. If this doesn't
happen, you could have found the cause of the ping.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You have the dreaded Ford emissions computer running that carb and
timing system.

If the knock sensor has failed or any other of the hundreds of feet (it
seems) of vacuum lines have failed the computer dumps into 'limp home
mode' and clamps down on the timing.

To test for this, warm it up fully and then open the hood and give the
front tube of the intake manifold a wap with a hammer. The engine

Old August 18th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DaveW[_1_]

Kevin wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's informative responses. I knew there were some
> good reasons not to go to a 160 stat, it just really bugged me that the
> smog police would care about that. The only reason I believe my timing
> is on is because every mechanic / smog tech to have ever checked it is
> getting the exact same reading as I am, but I guess I should check it
> with a gauge. I have run water slowly into the carb and am on my 2nd
> tank of Chevron 91 octane gas, both have helped but it still has a way
> to go. I think I will go ahead and remove my Air Conditioning system
> since it doesn't work anymore anyway, and the condensor is right in
> front of the radiator.
> Thanks again for everyone's help.

Of course, the harmonic balancer could have slipped. This sometimes
happens on older vehicles. When it does, the timing mark moves and you
can't get a real reading with a timing light.

You might check to see if you are running lean for some reason...carb
adjustment, vacuum leak, etc. That will certainly make things hot and
pingy.

Regards,

DAve
Old August 19th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Kevin proclaimed:

> Thanks for everyone's informative responses. I knew there were some
> good reasons not to go to a 160 stat, it just really bugged me that the
> smog police would care about that. The only reason I believe my timing
> is on is because every mechanic / smog tech to have ever checked it is
> getting the exact same reading as I am, but I guess I should check it
> with a gauge. I have run water slowly into the carb and am on my 2nd
> tank of Chevron 91 octane gas, both have helped but it still has a way
> to go. I think I will go ahead and remove my Air Conditioning system
> since it doesn't work anymore anyway, and the condensor is right in
> front of the radiator.
> Thanks again for everyone's help.

If you are using Chevron regular, I'd put money that is the problem.
Only brand/grade I regularly get ping with. Yes I know it all comes
from the same terminal in north San Jose, but the actual blend doesn't.