Honda Civic: oxygen sensor causes computer failure?

Old March 30th 05, 12:54 AM
Gary Dyrkacz

Default Honda Civic: oxygen sensor causes computer failure?

My son just took his01 Honda Civic in because the engine light came
on. The diagnosis was that the oxygen sensor was bad, so they
replaced it. He then gets another call saying that the sesnor was
only part of the problem. When the sensor went out it ruined the
computer. It turns out the computer is still covered under warranty,
but he will still have to pay for the sensor.

I have never heard that a sensor going out will destroy the computer
as well. Is this for real, or are they just trying to get him to pay
for the sensor, because they misdiagnosed the problem in the first
place.

Thanks,
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Old March 30th 05, 01:57 AM

The 1991 civic hasd the ECU/CPU well protected from most abuse.
I had a chance to diagram(mostly) one in an attempt to repair it.
I would suspect the failures where coincidence, or the failing(ed)
ECU killed the O2 sensor with too much gas. I would insist
they note the ECU failiure because the cat convereter could be at risk.
They don't like excess fuel.

Terry

Old March 30th 05, 04:04 AM
TeGGer®

Gary Dyrkacz > wrote in
:

> My son just took his01 Honda Civic in because the engine light came
> on. The diagnosis was that the oxygen sensor was bad, so they
> replaced it. He then gets another call saying that the sesnor was
> only part of the problem. When the sensor went out it ruined the
> computer. It turns out the computer is still covered under warranty,
> but he will still have to pay for the sensor.
>
> I have never heard that a sensor going out will destroy the computer
> as well. Is this for real, or are they just trying to get him to pay
> for the sensor, because they misdiagnosed the problem in the first
> place.

Not possible for the O2 sensor to kill the computer unless somebody
accidentally fed full battery current through the sensor wires.

I suspect somebody is clueless here and is trying to cover it up so his
boss won't get mad.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 30th 05, 05:30 AM
motsco_ _

Gary Dyrkacz wrote:
> My son just took his01 Honda Civic in because the engine light came
> on. The diagnosis was that the oxygen sensor was bad, so they
> replaced it. He then gets another call saying that the sesnor was
> only part of the problem. When the sensor went out it ruined the
> computer. It turns out the computer is still covered under warranty,
> but he will still have to pay for the sensor.
>
> I have never heard that a sensor going out will destroy the computer
> as well. Is this for real, or are they just trying to get him to pay
> for the sensor, because they misdiagnosed the problem in the first
> place.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary Dyrkacz
>
> Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/

---------------

Like TeGGer said. . . . Somebody 'let the smoke out' and said OOoops !

'Curly'

Old March 30th 05, 05:56 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Gary Dyrkacz > wrote:

> My son just took his01 Honda Civic in because the engine light came
> on. The diagnosis was that the oxygen sensor was bad, so they
> replaced it. He then gets another call saying that the sesnor was
> only part of the problem. When the sensor went out it ruined the
> computer. It turns out the computer is still covered under warranty,
> but he will still have to pay for the sensor.
>
> I have never heard that a sensor going out will destroy the computer
> as well. Is this for real, or are they just trying to get him to pay
> for the sensor, because they misdiagnosed the problem in the first
> place.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary Dyrkacz
>
> Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/

It sounds like they screwed up. Tell them to put the original sensor
back in or give you the new one free.