Honda Civic 1999, P0135, Oxygen Sensor Change, D16Y7 --- The Story....

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 7th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hobbes

Default Honda Civic 1999, P0135, Oxygen Sensor Change, D16Y7 --- TheStory ....

On Feb 25, 8:08*am, hobbes > wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2:43*pm, hobbes > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 15, 8:46*pm, hobbes > wrote:

> > > Hi Jeffery,

> > > I was reading some of your posts about your overheating engine, sorry
> > > to learn you are having some much trouble. I am afraid I am not an
> > > expert in cars and am sort of learning as I go along .....

> > > Oxygen Sensors are more to do with emissions than overheating engines.
> > > If a sensor fails it usually fails safe. Say you cut all the wires to
> > > the sensor, the engine will still run because the ECM car computer
> > > uses a default value and keeps your car running. Your catalytic
> > > converter may suffer a bit as will your miles per gallon petrol usage,
> > > but it is usually O.K. to drive around for a few days until you can
> > > bring the car to a repair place.

> > > The fact that your battery light came on and the oil presure light I
> > > think means your engine stopped running. This means the servo
> > > assistance on the brakes also is not there. Your foot brakes will
> > > work, but they are much harder to push because there is no engine to
> > > help apply preasure. Likewise you may have found the steering also
> > > harder to turn the wheel. Again the power assistance to the steering
> > > may also have been lost.

> > > I think your temperature gauge is not lying and there is also a high
> > > temp warning light and I did not see you mentioning that coming on. So
> > > I think your engine did not overheat in this instance.

> > > Hope you can get your puppy fixed up OK.

> > > Warmest regards, Mike.

> > Hi,

> > I just filled up with Petrol and over 197.3 miles I used 6.135 Gallons
> > of petrol. So I have about 32 MPG. This I think is what I was getting
> > before on my average weekly usage. I had two days worth running with
> > the Check Engine Light on, and about five days with the new Oxygen
> > Sensor installed. I suspect that the old O2 sensor was still working,
> > just that the heater bit was broken. Hence I was only getting bad fuel
> > consumption when the car is cold which is not for very long.

> > So far the car runs like it was before. I cannot tell the difference.
> > So I gues so far the Oxygen Sensor is working O.K.

> > Finger crossed ..... Mike.- Hide quoted text -

> It has been a month now .... still OK .... touch wood....
>
> Best, Mike.- Hide quoted text -

At at about the two month point since I put in that Bosch Oxygen
Sensor. Running good. The MPG is really no change and I average about
31 MPG which is what I used to get. So that is about 800 miles on the
car.

Best, Mike.