Timing Belt Idler Pulley question

Old January 22nd 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Timing Belt Idler Pulley question

The saga of replacing my water pump continues. Finally swapped out the
water pump, and now am putting everything back together. For those of
you who have not ever considered replacing your water pump - it is a
rather time consuming endeavor on the Miata - remove the cam shaft
cover, accessory belts, timing belt, etc...

Anyhow, putting it all back together now. After torquing the timing
belt idler pulley to the specified torque - should the idler pulley
spin or be locked down tight? In other words, do I need to buy a new
timing belt idler pulley?

kc

Old January 23rd 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Pete (at) wrote:
> "Natman" > wrote in message
> > On 21 Jan 2007 16:49:18 -0800, wrote:
> >
> > It should definitely spin after torquing. I don't know if you need to
> > buy a new one or not, but if it doesn't spin freely, loosen it and fix
> > what ever is hanging it up.

> I may be missing something here, but I remember torquing the idler pulley
> after having the replacement timing belt in place. That being the case,
> how is the idler pulley gonna spin freely if it applying tension to the
> timing belt?
> As I say, maybe my brain is suffering from frostbite, but...
>
> Pete

The tension pulley is definitely torqued after replacing the timing
belt. I could not find anything that said when to torque down the
idler pulley. My other thought was that while I could not spin the
pulley, that the timing belt could. For sure - the pulley was not
turning (by hand) when I took the timing belt off - so - what does that
mean? That is the million dollar question.

I am going to try and clean up the surface of the pulley (by the head
of the bolt) in case anything is causing friction, and potentially just
tighten to the min torque and see how that does. This project has
already taken longer than I had hoped - true I had to leave town for a
week - but two weekends later - still no car.

Any other ideas?

kc

Old January 23rd 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Natman

wrote:

>> > It should definitely spin after torquing. I don't know if you need to
>> > buy a new one or not, but if it doesn't spin freely, loosen it and fix
>> > what ever is hanging it up.

>> I may be missing something here, but I remember torquing the idler pulley
>> after having the replacement timing belt in place. That being the case,
>> how is the idler pulley gonna spin freely if it applying tension to the
>> timing belt?
>> As I say, maybe my brain is suffering from frostbite, but...
>>
>> Pete

>The tension pulley is definitely torqued after replacing the timing
>belt. I could not find anything that said when to torque down the
>idler pulley. My other thought was that while I could not spin the
>pulley, that the timing belt could. For sure - the pulley was not
>turning (by hand) when I took the timing belt off - so - what does that
>mean? That is the million dollar question.

From your first post: " After torquing the timing
belt idler pulley to the specified torque - should the idler pulley
spin or be locked down tight? "

From this I assumed that the pullet turned freely *before* you
tightened it down. If you can't turn the pulley by hand, then it has
siezed and will need to be replaced.
Old January 23rd 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Jan 22, 7:37 pm, Natman > wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2007 16:06:24 -0800, wrote:
>

> >Pete (at) wrote:
> >> "Natman" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> I may be missing something here, but I remember torquing the idler pulley
> >> after having the replacement timing belt in place. That being the case,
> >> how is the idler pulley gonna spin freely if it applying tension to the
> >> timing belt?
> >> As I say, maybe my brain is suffering from frostbite, but...

> >> Pete

> >The tension pulley is definitely torqued after replacing the timing
> >belt. I could not find anything that said when to torque down the
> >idler pulley. My other thought was that while I could not spin the
> >pulley, that the timing belt could. For sure - the pulley was not
> >turning (by hand) when I took the timing belt off - so - what does that
> >mean? That is the million dollar question.From your first post: " After torquing the timing

> belt idler pulley to the specified torque - should the idler pulley
> spin or be locked down tight? "
>
> From this I assumed that the pullet turned freely *before* you
> tightened it down. If you can't turn the pulley by hand, then it has
> siezed and will need to be replaced.

But, if the pulley is spinning - then it is spinning metal on metal,
vs. the tension pulley which spins freely and does not touch the metal
behind it. As for the idler pulley, I don't know how it could have
ever spun freely - the bolt head presses against the pulley - what
would sieze? Are we sure it should spin freely?

Old January 23rd 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Are we sure it should spin freely?

If it doesn't, you will be replacing the new timing belt very shortly, as
well as getting a new idler pulley.
If tightening the mounting bolt causes it to not turn freely, something is
wrong.

When we replacet the timing belt on my 99, both pulleys felt a bit rough, so
they were replaced. They did turn freely.

ups.com...