Honda Accord 98 Doesn't Start Morning time to time

Old October 12th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Homer[_2_]

Default Honda Accord 98 Doesn't Start Morning time to time

Hi All,

Time to time (once every two weeks or more lately) my Accord refuse to
start. It just keep cranking until battery dies and even after getting
boost from my wife's car it won't start in less than 10 minutes (it
started from 1 minute and it's getting more and more now)

There are some small coughing after first 5 minutes until I get more
cough and finally starts. For next 2 minutes after that I still hear
engine chock couple of times for one second (it seems tiny interruption
in gas or electricity).
After 2 minutes everything is normal and it will start VERY fast every
time I turn the keys for the next 1 or 2 weeks.

I checks the sparks and I see that I am getting sparks with no problem
every time this thing happens. So it seems like a Gas problem.

I've already checked the Main Reply and it was fine (I re-soldered it
anyway).

This maybe totally unrelated but I've noticed that whenever it's
raining (I park my car outside), this thing happens (leaking water into
gas system?)

I cannot hear the Gas pump (maybe I should go for hearing test) in any
situation (with or without problem).

I know how to check getting sparks whenever I have problem but is there
anyway to pull the gas pipe out and see if the gas is flowing too?

Please Help.

Thanks in advance,

Homer

Old October 12th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Homer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Time to time (once every two weeks or more lately) my Accord refuse to
> start. It just keep cranking until battery dies and even after getting
> boost from my wife's car it won't start in less than 10 minutes (it
> started from 1 minute and it's getting more and more now)
>
> There are some small coughing after first 5 minutes until I get more
> cough and finally starts. For next 2 minutes after that I still hear
> engine chock couple of times for one second (it seems tiny interruption
> in gas or electricity).
> After 2 minutes everything is normal and it will start VERY fast every
> time I turn the keys for the next 1 or 2 weeks.
>
> I checks the sparks and I see that I am getting sparks with no problem
> every time this thing happens. So it seems like a Gas problem.
>
> I've already checked the Main Reply and it was fine (I re-soldered it
> anyway).
>
> This maybe totally unrelated but I've noticed that whenever it's
> raining (I park my car outside), this thing happens (leaking water into
> gas system?)
>
> I cannot hear the Gas pump (maybe I should go for hearing test) in any
> situation (with or without problem).
>
> I know how to check getting sparks whenever I have problem but is there
> anyway to pull the gas pipe out and see if the gas is flowing too?
>
> Please Help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Homer

1. don't just keep cranking until the battery goes flat - you'll fubar
both the battery and the starter. if it won't start inside about 10
seconds, it's not going to start, so get out and fix the problem!

2. check the owners manual on how to start a flooded engine. your
problem will probably be fixed with a couple of tanks of injector
cleaner. stay away from cheap gasoline.
Old October 12th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Homer wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Time to time (once every two weeks or more lately) my Accord refuse to
> start. It just keep cranking until battery dies and even after getting
> boost from my wife's car it won't start in less than 10 minutes (it
> started from 1 minute and it's getting more and more now)

------------------------------------

Like Jim said, it's the dribbling injector problem. That's why is
happens after the vehicle has sat overnight.

Just read the owner's manual about how to start a flooded Honda (pedal
to the metal), and use injector cleaner (or gasohol) to solve the
problem.

'Curly'
Old October 12th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Homer[_2_]

Sorry but I forgot to mention about the injector issue. My first guess
was injector too, so I put some of those injector treatment liquid
inside the tank (three times) but nothing changed.

Also holding the gas pedal all the way down didn't help me at all
(though it's still looks like injector problem to me).

When this thing happen and I take out one of those Sparks, I see that
it's all wet (gas) so it seems really like a injector problem to me.

I just don't know why it happens every two week and not all the time.

How much does it cost to change those injectors?

Oh, and also if I keep cranking engine will start eventually (every
time).

Old October 12th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Homer wrote:

> Sorry but I forgot to mention about the injector issue. My first guess
> was injector too, so I put some of those injector treatment liquid
> inside the tank (three times) but nothing changed.
>
> Also holding the gas pedal all the way down didn't help me at all
> (though it's still looks like injector problem to me).
>
> When this thing happen and I take out one of those Sparks, I see that
> it's all wet (gas) so it seems really like a injector problem to me.
>
> I just don't know why it happens every two week and not all the time.
>
> How much does it cost to change those injectors?
>
> Oh, and also if I keep cranking engine will start eventually (every
> time).

-----------------------------

Have you disconnected your battery lately? You might need to with all
the dead batteries / boosting you've been doing. Sometimes things get
'scrambled' and need a reset.

You have to hold it right to the floor so the computer knows to turn off
the injectors. Since you'll know what to do right away next time, it
will start a lot faster. Techron is the good stuff, but I used Gasohol
and it fixed my Odyssey (I couldn't get techron here at the time).

'Curly'
Old October 12th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> Homer wrote:
>> Sorry but I forgot to mention about the injector issue. My first guess
>> was injector too, so I put some of those injector treatment liquid
>> inside the tank (three times) but nothing changed.
>>
>> Also holding the gas pedal all the way down didn't help me at all
>> (though it's still looks like injector problem to me).
>>
>> When this thing happen and I take out one of those Sparks, I see that
>> it's all wet (gas) so it seems really like a injector problem to me.
>>
>> I just don't know why it happens every two week and not all the time.
>>
>> How much does it cost to change those injectors?
>>
>> Oh, and also if I keep cranking engine will start eventually (every
>> time).

> -----------------------------
>
> Have you disconnected your battery lately? You might need to with all
> the dead batteries / boosting you've been doing. Sometimes things get
> 'scrambled' and need a reset.
>
> You have to hold it right to the floor so the computer knows to turn off
> the injectors. Since you'll know what to do right away next time, it
> will start a lot faster. Techron is the good stuff, but I used Gasohol
> and it fixed my Odyssey (I couldn't get techron here at the time).
>
> 'Curly'

it's also worth mentioning that sometimes, too much carpet/badly
adjusted throttle cable/worn linkage prevents full throttle down, so the
computer won't register w.o.t. [wide open throttle]. have an assistant
press the pedal while inspecting the throttle body to ensure correct
operation.
Old October 13th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Homer" > wrote in news:1160674072.370886.288960
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> Sorry but I forgot to mention about the injector issue. My first guess
> was injector too, so I put some of those injector treatment liquid
> inside the tank (three times) but nothing changed.

To check for fuel pump operation:

1) Your pump is located beneath the trunk floor.
2) Open the trunk and poke your head inside.
3) Listen VERY carefully in Step 4
4) Have helper turn the key to II.
5) The pump will run for TWO seconds when the key is first turned to II.
During this time, you will hear it hum.

Do you hear what I describe here? Do you hear it consistently? Turn the key
off, then to II again. Then do it again. And again. You should always hear
the pump for two seconds.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 13th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Graham W

Homer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Time to time (once every two weeks or more lately) my Accord refuse to
> start. It just keep cranking until battery dies and even after getting
> boost from my wife's car it won't start in less than 10 minutes (it
> started from 1 minute and it's getting more and more now)
>
> There are some small coughing after first 5 minutes until I get more
> cough and finally starts. For next 2 minutes after that I still hear
> engine chock couple of times for one second (it seems tiny interruption
> in gas or electricity).
> After 2 minutes everything is normal and it will start VERY fast every
> time I turn the keys for the next 1 or 2 weeks.
>
> I checks the sparks and I see that I am getting sparks with no problem
> every time this thing happens. So it seems like a Gas problem.
>
> I've already checked the Main Reply and it was fine (I re-soldered it
> anyway).
>
> This maybe totally unrelated but I've noticed that whenever it's
> raining (I park my car outside), this thing happens (leaking water into
> gas system?)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Have you cleaned up the distributor cap? Take it off the car (note
which plug lead goes where!) scrub it up in the sink inside and out
with detergent and water and thoroughly dry with cloth and hairdryer.
Replace and test.

> I cannot hear the Gas pump (maybe I should go for hearing test) in any
> situation (with or without problem).
>
> I know how to check getting sparks whenever I have problem but is there
> anyway to pull the gas pipe out and see if the gas is flowing too?

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps