Adding ACETONE to your fuel?

Old January 24th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Adding ACETONE to your fuel?

I read a post on another forum I am on, that adding ACETONE to your
fuel, will give a better burn. From what I know about ACETONE is it has
a lower flash point than gasoline, and it burns hotter than gas.

What would be the pros/cons of ACETONE?

I drive a 91 Chevy Sprint (3cyl engine)

--
Pantharen
Pantharen's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=247059

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 24th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

2006-01-24, Pantharen wrote:

> I read a post on another forum I am on, that adding ACETONE to your
> fuel, will give a better burn. From what I know about ACETONE is it has
> a lower flash point than gasoline, and it burns hotter than gas.
>
> What would be the pros/cons of ACETONE?
>
> I drive a 91 Chevy Sprint (3cyl engine)

In GTR, GPL, GTL or rFactor? :-)

-peter

Old January 24th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Pantharen wrote:

> I read a post on another forum I am on, that adding ACETONE to your
> fuel, will give a better burn. From what I know about ACETONE is it has
> a lower flash point than gasoline, and it burns hotter than gas.
>
> What would be the pros/cons of ACETONE?
>
> I drive a 91 Chevy Sprint (3cyl engine)

I tried it once.

For two consecutive tankfuls, I added 3oz of lab grade acetone to the 10
gal tank (the 'optimal' ratio), then drove 260 freeway miles at a set
speed. One tank saw slightly improved mileage, but I had a light
tailwind during one leg of the trip. The other tank was no better than
straight gas. This was in small econobox with an injected 1.3L 4cyl.

The test was conducted in warm, dry Az. If the whole moosegoose theory
about 'surface tension' has any merit, it might work better with a
carbureted car driving in a colder climate. Try it, it shouldn't hurt
anything... Please post if it somehow does work for you.

If it works, I might add it to the GPL Honda - that thing is a thirsty
pig!

-Greg
Old January 24th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Pantharen" > wrote in message

> I read a post on another forum I am on, that adding ACETONE to your
> fuel, will give a better burn. From what I know about ACETONE is it has
> a lower flash point than gasoline, and it burns hotter than gas.
>
> What would be the pros/cons of ACETONE?
>
> I drive a 91 Chevy Sprint (3cyl engine)
>

> --
> Pantharen

That would be the equivalent of a Geo Metro in the US. I don't think
anything will help it in the power department any great deal unless you are
willing to spend more than the vehicle is worth. As far as mileage, you are
probably doing the best you can do just burning regular 87 octane. By
decreasing the flash point, you risk pre-detonation issues and possibly
burning valves. Your best performance/mileage modification for your car
would be increasing airflow with a performance air filter like K&N or
similar. Since it is a 15yr old vehicle, it probably has some cam wear and
probably decreased compression issues too so if it is running well now, I
wouldn't risk acetone or any other additive like it.

Ed

Old January 24th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

YOu guys and your K&N filters... they are absolute ****. the increase
debris collected internally is far mor than offset the few bucks you save
( and value of engine) runing them POS filters... well most of you that is.
Too many put these filters on and never look at them, then at about 80k
miles the engine is crap as if it had double that miles.

Ed Medlin enlightened us with:

Old January 24th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

yep, ditto on the K&N, too much gets by the filter.. I've heard that moth
balls will increase octane btw..

Old January 25th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Ed Medlin Wrote:

> That would be the equivalent of a Geo Metro in the US. I don't think
> anything will help it in the power department any great deal unless you
> are
> willing to spend more than the vehicle is worth. As far as mileage, you
> are
> probably doing the best you can do just burning regular 87 octane. By
> decreasing the flash point, you risk pre-detonation issues and
> possibly
> burning valves. Your best performance/mileage modification for your
> car
> would be increasing airflow with a performance air filter like K&N or
> similar. Since it is a 15yr old vehicle, it probably has some cam wear
> and
> probably decreased compression issues too so if it is running well now,
> wouldn't risk acetone or any other additive like it.
>
> Ed

Geo Metro, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, Suzuki Swift, Suzuki Forsa
are all the same engine, either the 1.0 liter 3cyl, or the 1.3 liter
turbo.

I wasn't so much looking for a boost in HP, If I was looking for a
sports car, I would have bought one :lol:

More over I was wondering if there was any benifit to using acetone,
but from what I have seen on a couple of other forums I have posted on,
there isn't anything significant. On high compression engines, you run
the risk of blowing your engine, because acetone will burn faster than
your engine can compensate for (unless you car is 2000+ )

Ed, no offence but K&N filters were awsome 20 years ago, but now they
rely on name only, and they're just expensive garbage. The let huge
particles thru. And in my 15 year old motor, I'll stick with FRAM.

Old January 25th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>What would be the pros/cons of ACETONE?

Presumably anything that doesn't destroy the engine or cause lab rats
to grow eyeballs on their testicals has already been marketed as a fuel
addative...