Sweetest VW ever.

Old January 21st 11, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Default Sweetest VW ever.

I posted this because its awesome looking. About 40 miles from me. .
Pictures are good. Somebody went fanatical on the resto. .

http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.co...vertible.shtml

Diesel.

Old January 21st 11, 08:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:23:40 +0100, DogDiesel > wrote:

> I posted this because its awesome looking. About 40 miles from me. .
> Pictures are good. Somebody went fanatical on the resto. .
>
> http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.co...vertible.shtml
>
> Diesel.

Nice car.

Three no no's though: Painted engine block(retains heat), chrome oil drain
cover(retains heat) and fuel filter in engine bay.
Personally having spent that much on the car I would have lost the
speakers in the kick panels also.

J.
Old January 21st 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bugnut68

On Jan 21, 12:14*am, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:23:40 +0100, DogDiesel > wrote:
> > I posted this because its awesome looking. About 40 miles from me. .
> > Pictures are good. Somebody went fanatical on the resto. .

> >http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.co...tle-Convertibl...

> > Diesel.

> Nice car.
>
> Three no no's though: Painted engine block(retains heat), chrome oil drain *
> cover(retains heat) and fuel filter in engine bay.
> Personally having spent that much on the car I would have lost the *
> speakers in the kick panels also.
>
> J.
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

I know people talk about the fuel filter in the engine bay
incessantly, but (knock on wood previously in years past) I always had
my fuel filter in there on my former daily driver '68 and never had
any problems. Mind you, I also very regularly checked the condition
of my fuel lines and didn't ignore that task, but I never had any
leaks nor any fires, etc. My current '70 project has the filter
relocated in line between the fuel line from the tank and the hard
line going into the engine bay for dual carbs, though.

The painted engine case thing never made much sense to me. Seems like
a waste considering it will likely burn right off anyway, at least if
the car is a driver. A seldom-driven show car may be a different
story, but I never saw the point in painting an engine case.
Old January 24th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford

In article >,
"DogDiesel" > wrote:

> I posted this because its awesome looking. About 40 miles from me. .
> Pictures are good. Somebody went fanatical on the resto. .
>
> http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.co...vertible.shtml
>
> Diesel.

Nope. Anything after 1963 sucks.

..
Old January 24th 11, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

The white plastic clip that secures the hand brake cable to the RH trailing
arm has fallen out!!!! Shock Horror, its just dangling.
What is that valve(?) in top LHS of engine compartment?. Way its connected
it looks like an EGR valve or something. Never had those down under.
For that price I find it unbelievable somebody would buy a "plastic
fantastic".
John

Old January 25th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

>Those are those clampless lines. I think. I had them in my diesel golf for
>about a decade with not a problem.

VW saw fit to band em when new....

Old January 25th 11, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

t looks like the metal filter next to the coil might cause the
electricity to 'ark' or make an unwanted spark.

Old January 26th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
> "DogDiesel" wrote in message
>

>>Those are those clampless lines. I think. I had them in my diesel golf for
>>about a decade with not a problem.

> VW saw fit to band em when new....

Dunno, Id clamp mine on gasoline, But technology has changed a bit in
50 years.

Old January 26th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"John" > wrote in message
> The white plastic clip that secures the hand brake cable to the RH
> trailing arm has fallen out!!!! Shock Horror, its just dangling.
> What is that valve(?) in top LHS of engine compartment?. Way its
> connected it looks like an EGR valve or something. Never had those down
> under.
> For that price I find it unbelievable somebody would buy a "plastic
> fantastic".
> John

I posted the ad because the pictures were good. The car has been for sale
for a few months at least. I doubt it will sell for that amount. I see it as
a waste of money too. For the builder.

Old January 26th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Your,re right there.That rebuild would have to be ~$30k at least.